Author Topic: Jenna Bush Hager clarifies Bush 41's 'thousand points of light' for Trump  (Read 863 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jenna Bush Hager clarifies Bush 41's 'thousand points of light' for Trump
By Jacqueline Thomsen - 07/07/18 02:20 PM EDT

Jenna Bush Hager shared a note from her grandfather, former President George H.W. Bush, on Friday, clarifying his popular phrase "thousand points of light," after President Trump took a swipe at it during a campaign rally earlier this week.

Hager, a "Today" show correspondent and daughter of former President George W. Bush, on Friday tweeted a 1997 letter from her grandfather discussing the phrase “thousand points of light,” which he coined during his 1988 presidential bid to highlight the importance of community organizations.

“I have pursued life itself over many years now and with varying degrees of happiness. Some of my happiness still comes from trying to be in my own small way a true ‘point of light,’” Bush wrote in the letter.

“I believe I was right when I said, as President, there can be no definition of a successful life that does not include service to others. So I do that now, and I gain happiness.”

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/395948-jenna-bush-hager-clarifies-bushs-thousand-points-of-light-for
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
the importance of community organizations.

Closing the circle on the associations of Bushes and Clintons and Obamas.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I thought mentioning the Bush 41 program sounded familiar.  From fall 1988.....

In a potentially obscure reference to his comments about ''1,000 points of light'' during his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Bush talked about government working with volunteers and the private sector to solve problems such as inadequate housing.

''A thousand points of light,'' Dukakis gibed, ''I don't know what that means.''

''The man has just said he doesn't know what I'm talking about,'' Bush said, ''and this is the problem I have with the big-spending liberals.'' The vice president used ''the L word'' at least eight times during the 90 minutes onstage.

The nickname generator must be busted and down hard if Trump is dusting off Dukakis material.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
“I have pursued life itself over many years now and with varying degrees of happiness. Some of my happiness still comes from trying to be in my own small way a true ‘point of light,’” Bush wrote in the letter.

“I believe I was right when I said, as President, there can be no definition of a successful life that does not include service to others. So I do that now, and I gain happiness.”

What claptrap.  Wheee!

Is she saying she knows her Points of Light, and Donald Trump doesn't has it?  What? *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

What claptrap.  Wheee!

Is she saying she knows her Points of Light, and Donald Trump doesn't has it?  What? *****rollingeyes*****

I believe that is from President Bushes’ letter, not from the daughter. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I believe that is from President Bushes’ letter, not from the daughter.

It was.  I thought it was claptrap from a Reagan hater then, and I think it still is.  I was unclear in my post about who said what.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

It was.  I thought it was claptrap from a Reagan hater then, and I think it still is.  I was unclear in my post about who said what.

You’re still projecting Trumpism, however, because the statement says nothing re. Trump.  You may not believe it, but not everything in this world is about Trump,  no how much liberals or Trumpalos pretend it is.   

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump is jealous of Bush's thousand points of light for the homeless man and his kinder gentler machine gun hand.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You’re still projecting Trumpism, however, because the statement says nothing re. Trump.  You may not believe it, but not everything in this world is about Trump,  no how much liberals or Trumpalos pretend it is.

Are you calling me a Trumpy?

I agree it says nothing about Trump.  Jenna is following her Daddy's footsteps in making everything about Trump, and one doesn't need to be a Trump fan to see that's idiotic.  I was apparently inartful in my writing, which is common this time of the week.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

Are you calling me a Trumpy?

I agree it says nothing about Trump.  Jenna is following her Daddy's footsteps in making everything about Trump, and one doesn't need to be a Trump fan to see that's idiotic.  I was apparently inartful in my writing, which is common this time of the week.

I’m not saying you’re a trumpalo, but I fail to see where the quoted language is saying anything about Trump.

As for the underlying question:  Trump doesn’t ‘do’ service; he hires H1-B visa-holders to do it for him, and claims a tax deduction for the cost. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I’m not saying you’re a trumpalo, but I fail to see where the quoted language is saying anything about Trump.

As for the underlying question:  Trump doesn’t ‘do’ service; he hires H1-B visa-holders to do it for him, and claims a tax deduction for the cost.

I was too selective in my quoting.  The article has what she said about it, in relation to Trump.  I was lazy...lol

As for the rest, everybody does their "public service" in their own way.  It's fair to criticize politicians for that.  The President is not immune from that as when he was a "private citizen."  He crossed that private/public line when he took the infamous escalator ride.
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

I was apparently inartful in my writing, which is common this time of the week.

A thousand pints of lager?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

A thousand pints of lager?

LOL!  No.  Weekend is the time for me to concentrate on the honey-dos, so my attention to the laptop is a bit...spotty.  On top of that, Honey and I just got back from a few days in the Mountains.  It was nice getting out of the 110° heat.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Next up:  Jenna takes a crack at explaining Grandpa wanting a kinder and gentler nation.   :cool:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Next up:  Jenna takes a crack at explaining Grandpa wanting a kinder and gentler nation.   :cool:

And her sister Babs explains the benefits of raising taxes while reading lips for the hearing impaired.  While Chelsea Clinton continues to brush up of the finer points of Graft and hiding emails (I hear she already has several snap-chat accounts, where emails delete themselves).

Kids go with the strengths supplied by their parents.  I can't wait to see what Shoeshine and Malaria have to offer in a couple years.  :pondering:
I will NOT comply.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
IMO trump was being honest. Most people probable scratched their heads when they heard it out of context.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I thought Jenna's revelation on Daddy's thousand point of light came to her on a Christmas eve drunk as skunk and looking at Christmas lights on a tree. Her revelation was preceded with the words "Ooh lookee, purdeeeee!"