Author Topic: Dershowitz: ‘You cannot question a president's motives when the president acts’  (Read 432 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dershowitz: ‘You cannot question a president's motives when the president acts’
By Brett Samuels - 07/08/18 01:07 PM EDT

Attorney Alan Dershowitz asserted on Sunday that a president’s motives cannot be used to charge him or her with a crime while in office.

Dershowitz, who is a frequent defender of President Trump in the Russia investigation and an opinion contributor to The Hill, argued on ABC’s “This Week” that a president can’t be charged with obstruction of justice for  exercising his powers laid out in the Constitution.

“You cannot question a president’s motives when a president acts,” Dershowitz said.

“If a president pardons, that’s it. If a president fires, that’s it. You can’t go beyond the act and get into his motive or get into his intent,” he continued.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/396012-dershowitz-you-cannot-question-a-presidents-motives-when-the
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Haldeman didn't seem to agree with Dersh on that, while speaking with Nixon, back in 1973.  His intentions were clear and on tape.

"What I mean to say is this. We're talking in the confidence of this room. I don't give a [expletive] what comes out on you or John or even on poor, damn, dumb John Mitchell. There is going to be a total pardon."

"Don't — don't even say that," Haldeman warned.

"You know it," Nixon went on, oblivious of the microphones. "You know it and I know it."

"No, don't say that," Haldeman protested again, to no avail.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/nixon/103097tapes.htm
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:27:13 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

That’s not entirely true.  To the extent that the Bill of Rights, or the other amendments, make motive a factor - ie, proscribe certain motivations underlying a given government action - those amendments will apply to the powers granted to the President within the body of the original Constitution.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
That’s not entirely true.  To the extent that the Bill of Rights, or the other amendments, make motive a factor - ie, proscribe certain motivations underlying a given government action - those amendments will apply to the powers granted to the President within the body of the original Constitution.

Such as where? 

Oceander

Such as where? 

I didn’t have anything specific in mind.  I am simply pointing out that a blanket categorical like that is not necessarily true.  That is the problem with blanket categoricals.