Author Topic: BREAKING...Proposed ‘buddy dive’ plan to rescue boys in Thai cave [UPDATE: all rescued  (Read 10285 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
And caves no longer use the term. It's now called "caving".
Some traditionalists will hang onto "spelunking" if you're going in to study the cave formations, but m9st now use "caving" even for that.

It was on the SATs.  :silly:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

And caves no longer use the term. It's now called "caving".
Some traditionalists will hang onto "spelunking" if you're going in to study the cave formations, but m9st now use "caving" even for that.
I miss "spelunking".
@Suppressed

Maybe today that text book would not have  spelunking under a picture.  You know what this change of word is: dumbing down the English language for the majority of the people.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't like "caving."  Sounds too much like "caving in."

I woke up to news on TV that four are out now?  And they're starting the next phase in 10 hours or so?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/08/thailand-cave-rescue-first-two-boys-brought-out

He said the operation, which was launched at 10am on Sunday, had proceeded hours faster than expected. “It has been our masterpiece work,” he said.

The first boy emerged from the cave at 5.40pm local time (1140 BST), followed by a second 10 to 12 minutes later, he said. “After that, a third and fourth at 7.40pm and 7.50pm.”

After completing the 3.2km journey through the muddy, jagged cave, the divers turned and hugged the boys, who emerged wearing full-face scuba masks, he said.

All four boys had safely reached a hospital in Chiang Rai, the nearest major city, he added. He did not name which four of the boys were removed first, nor the basis on which they were selected.

Ninety divers were involved in Sunday’s operation, 50 foreigners and 40 Thais.

“Our job is not completely done,” Osatanakorn said. “We will have to do the next mission as successfully as the one we did today. The rest of the kids are in the same spot.”

The remaining eight boys and their 25-year-old coach will be brought out in further operations starting in the morning.

“Air tanks and systems have to be put in place again,” Osatanakorn said. “I can’t tell you exact timing of the next operation but I can say it will be more than 10 hours to 20 hours. It will not be more than 20 hours. I have to check all factors are stable. The operation then will be carried out.”

The extraction of the four boys took place more than two hours earlier than the most optimistic deadline set by rescue authorities on Sunday morning.

Rain on Saturday evening and throughout Sunday was thought to be the catalyst for starting the rescue operation but appears not to have halted or significantly slowed its progress.

The extraction began at 10am on Sunday morning when 10 divers from an international team started making the 3.2km journey to the muddy slope where the boys have been sheltering.

They were joined by three more divers on Sunday afternoon and a team of rescue workers helping to run a rope system in more difficult stretches of the cave, as well as five Thai navy Seals.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
(I'm too claustrophobic to even read this .... )

That graphic is terrifying.  That spot right before #2, awful.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"Ninety divers were involved in Sunday’s operation, 50 foreigners and 40 Thais."

Hopefully the "foreigners" will be named by nationality.

The entire world should be informed exactly who runs into the fire, to help when help is needed.

Like when US hospital ships arrive at foreign sites of natural disasters.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
One of the posted articles mentioned that the rescuers are using "full-face" diving masks.

I wasn't sure of what a "full face" SCUBA mask would look like, so went to amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Reef-Divers-Full-Face/dp/B004G57UMG

Another can be seen here:
https://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-124/Masks-Full-Face-Masks.html?view=list

I can see where something like this might work for someone who has never dived before, vis-a-vis a more "conventional" setup (mouthpiece & face mask)

An amazing rescue.
I didn't think they were going to be able to get them out.
Thankfully, I have been proven wrong about that!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I wonder what happened to boys 5 and 6.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
One of the posted articles mentioned that the rescuers are using "full-face" diving masks.

I wasn't sure of what a "full face" SCUBA mask would look like, so went to amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Reef-Divers-Full-Face/dp/B004G57UMG

Another can be seen here:
https://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-124/Masks-Full-Face-Masks.html?view=list

I can see where something like this might work for someone who has never dived before, vis-a-vis a more "conventional" setup (mouthpiece & face mask)

An amazing rescue.
I didn't think they were going to be able to get them out.
Thankfully, I have been proven wrong about that!

Thanks for substantive info on masks.

I eagerly await the full story on this. People, equipment, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I wonder what happened to boys 5 and 6.

Two were reported rescued.

Then four were reported rescued.

It must have been assumed that the four were additional, not total.

5 and 6 are still with 7-12.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Oh good I had a bad thought maybe 5 and 6 didn’t make it and that is why the story went radio silent.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Sandesh Shivapuram
‏ @Sandesh0305
5h5 hours ago

The 2 British men who are leading the rescue operation are John Volanthen and Rick Stanton. They are universally regarded as the best cave divers in the world.

They were the ones who found the boys & are now leading the rescue mission.

HEROES🙏🏻🙏🏻 #ThaiCaveRescue

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Thank you for posting this @mystery-ak

They are 😇😇

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
World News Tonight
‏Verified account @ABCWorldNews
5m5 minutes ago

4 rescued from Thai cave in risky operation; 9 remain inside: https://abcn.ws/2KHD3SA

No idea how many have been rescued...everyone giving different numbers
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
No idea how many have been rescued...everyone giving different numbers

Reuters was mis-reporting.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-accident-cave-rescue/six-boys-have-exited-thai-cave-senior-member-of-rescue-team-idUSKBN1JY0G7

(This story was corrected to show four boys, not six, have exited cave.)

Online mountaineer

2 hr 36 min ago
"This has been described as a war against water and a race against time"

The rescue efforts in Thailand are still suspended while teams restock supplies and prepare to get the rest of the team out of the cave.

"There are eight more to go, plus the coach. And they have to stay down there for the next few hours — probably couple of days, actually — because there's a problem with restocking the oxygen supplies down there," CNN's Jonathan Miller reports.

Rescuers have a dwindling window of opportunity
, with forecasters predicting the return of heavy monsoon rains in the coming days, effectively sealing off the cave until October.

"The other problem they've got is, this has been described as a war against water and a race against time," Miller said.  ... CNN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@mountaineer what does that mean? They’ll be dead by October

They will probably be dead if they don’t cone up in the next day or two

This stinks and I’m beyond sad

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@mountaineer what does that mean? They’ll be dead by October

They will probably be dead if they don’t cone up in the next day or two

This stinks and I’m beyond sad

It is a bit of a roller-coaster, isn't it?  I think they'll get them out in a day or so.  the workers have to be tired of the PITA press hanging around, and they only have a few days/hours left to get 'er done.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

I don't like "caving."  Sounds too much like "caving in."

Agreed. 

But the club I used to cave with changed their name in the 80s.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline berdie

I don't understand...I'm not there. But I promise you it's making me nervous as all get out.

I'm an optimist. The rain will hold off.  The oxegyn levels will increase for the remaining kids and the water level will drop.

I totally believe in putting positives vibes out. They are stronger than negative ones.

of course, I continue to pray.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I don't understand...I'm not there. But I promise you it's making me nervous as all get out.

I'm an optimist. The rain will hold off.  The oxegyn levels will increase for the remaining kids and the water level will drop.

I totally believe in putting positives vibes out. They are stronger than negative ones.

of course, I continue to pray.

@berdie I thank you

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/world/asia/thailand-cave-rescue-live-updates.html

Thailand Cave Rescue Live Updates: 4 Team Members Are Out, 9 to Go

Why can’t the boys swim?

A Thai official has said that some members of the boys’ soccer team trapped in the flooded Tham Luang Cave network don’t know how to swim, further complicating the rescue effort.

That may surprise people from countries where swim lessons are a rite of passage for most children. But in Southeast Asia, not knowing how to swim is normal.

A key reason is that many mothers in the region believe that teaching their children to swim will increase the risk of them drowning, said Michael Linnan, the technical director at the Alliance for Safe Children, an Atlanta-based nonprofit that has worked extensively in the region.

Dr. Linnan said it was not uncommon to see rates of swimming in low- and middle-income countries that is “well below” 20 percent, even among sailors, fishermen and others who earn their living on the water.

Drowning is a leading cause of death among children in low- and middle-income countries in Asia, Unicef said in a 2012 report. Unlike in high-income countries, the report said, the danger to children typically comes not from swimming pools but from daily exposure to water and “spontaneous actions that put them at risk.”

In Thailand, the Health Ministry reported in 2014 that drowning was the primary cause of death among children under 15. It said an average of four children in Thailand died every day from drowning, a rate five to 15 times higher than those for developed countries.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor