Author Topic: BREAKING...Proposed ‘buddy dive’ plan to rescue boys in Thai cave [UPDATE: all rescued  (Read 10328 times)

Offline thackney

So, if I'm reading that correctly, the area marked "flooded passage too narrow for scuba tanks" means they have to hold their breath and swim underwater, in tight rocks, that whole way?  Damn.

They likely stage bottles for the kids to use on tethered masks as indicated in the diagram below.  The real divers could go through the narrow spots without tanks to pick up another staged or dragged behind.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

Yes, early on,I saw a diagram of that small passageway and it goes uphill on the right side.  The person talked about that narrow passage, it is 20+ inches diameter, only large enough for a body, and you had better not be fat.

Doesn't even have to be fat when it's very narrow.  I had to help lift a large fit man whose ribcage was too big to allow him to fit down through a tight squeeze.  It was rather scary, as he'd wedged himself in to where his ribcage couldn't expand to allow him to inhale, and as he exhaled, he fell farther down.  Fortunately, I was ahead of him and was able to lift, as I don't think we could have just pulled him up from the topside.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The divers are back at it ....  :0001:

8 boys rescued from cave in Thailand as operation resumes for 2nd day
ABC News, Jul 9, 2018, Mark Osborne, Bill Hutchinson

Dive teams in Thailand rescued four more boys from a flooded jungle cave Monday and were confident they will also be able to save the remaining four boys and their adult soccer coach still trapped in the cavern.

Chiang Rai provincial Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, speaking as the second day of the rescue mission got underway, predicted that all 12 of the boys on the soccer team and the coach will be safely brought out of the labyrinth where they went missing 17 days ago.

"I insist that all 13 will be safe and sound," Osatanakorn said.

More:  https://abcnews.go.com/International/rescue-effort-restarts-final-boys-coach-trapped-cave/story?id=56450198

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
The divers are back at it ....  :0001:

@Right_in_Virginia keep us up to date. Please. My alerts have gone radio silent.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/watch-live-divers-in-cave-for-second-rescue-as-operation-resumes/news-story/3dd3e5c58764a14f1bfdcae67f2d3728

“Tomorrow if it’s going to be weather like today, there’s nothing to worry about. There has been very good drainage and we expect good news.”

The next operation is scheduled to be launched by 4pm local time (7pm AEST) today but the rescue chief said he could not guarantee the last five may not all be brought out — one of them may have to wait another day.

“For [Tuesday], I cannot confirm the number that will come out,” he said. “The plan is set for to rescue four, not five. The best number is four, for safety.”

Storms are predicted today but similar forecasts for the past two days have failed to deliver heavy rain that might have scuppered the rescue.

Gen Buncha Duriyaphan, an army commander involved in the operation, said he had been asking Pra Pirun, the god of rain, for three days’ reprieve to conduct the operation. He said praying for an extension may be viewed as indulgent. “If I ask for more, he might not grant it,” he said.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I guess all the boys first then the coach.  8888crybaby

@Right_in_Virginia keep us up to date. Please. My alerts have gone radio silent.

You know the latest I do now  :beer:

@Freya

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Business Insider by Alexandra Ma http://www.businessinsider.com/thai-cave-rescue-cartoon-goes-viral-has-hidden-meaning-2018-7?amp%3Butm_medium=referral

This cartoon depicting the Thai cave rescue is going viral in Thailand — and it has a hidden meaning

Two Thai artists have created a cartoon full of hidden symbols to depict the operation to rescue the stranded soccer team in the cave.

It depicts 13 wild boars swimming out of an underwater cave alongside dozens of other animals.

The animals represent the different nationalities involved in the operation.

More at link
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:23:50 pm by Mod5 »

Coach could be left in Thai cave alone: Divers say they can safely rescue four at a time, leaving 25-year-old to spend night in dank, dungeon-like tunnels
Daily Mail/UK, Jul 9, 2018 Updated: 17:48 EDT

Eight boys have now been rescued from the flooded Thai cave.

As the second group of four finally breathed fresh air yesterday, officials admitted the youths’ football coach faced spending a night alone in the dank, dungeon-like tunnels.

Rescue chief Narongsak Osottanakorn refused to rule out 25-year-old Ekaphol Chantawong being left inside the cave if the four remaining pupils are rescued today, because the divers’ system of taking that many at a time was working well. ‘For safety, the best number is four,’ he said.

Meanwhile, adding to their parents’ torment, the boys are not being allowed to hug them due to infection fears. They are being quarantined in hospital but are said to be in ‘good health’.

More:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5935535/Coach-left-Thai-cave-divers-say-safely-rescue-four-time.html

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Any news?..Fox has mentioned nothing about this latest attempt
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Any news?..Fox has mentioned nothing about this latest attempt

The next operation is scheduled to be launched by 4pm local time(4am CST Tomorrow) but the rescue chief said he could not guarantee the last five may not all be brought out — one of them may have to wait another day.

“For [Tuesday], I cannot confirm the number that will come out,” he said. “The plan is set for to rescue four, not five. The best number is four, for safety.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The next operation is scheduled to be launched by 4pm local time(4am CST Tomorrow) but the rescue chief said he could not guarantee the last five may not all be brought out — one of them may have to wait another day.

I would hate to be that fifth person..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I would hate to be that fifth person..

What I can't get outta my head, is that they were trapped there for 9 days or so before they were discovered.

And wondering how long they were there in the pitch darkness after the last flashlight gave out.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What I can't get outta my head, is that they were trapped there for 9 days or so before they were discovered.

And wondering how long they were there in the pitch darkness after the last flashlight gave out.

Very scary especially for the younger boys.

I don't know if my 12yo grandson could have handled that isolation and fear...but he can swim
Support the USO

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:29:07 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/worldnews/6737867/thai-cave-rescue-football-coach-ekaphol-chantawong-latest/

The principal of Mae Sai Prasitsart School, which six of the 12 boys attend, said educators will do everything possible to ensure the boys can ease back into their regular lives.

Kanet Pongsuwan told USA Today: “We will treat them positively, and not put the blame on them for anything.

“They were the victims of a disaster.”

Kanet said the boys, all members of the Wild Boars soccer team, will receive extra tutoring to catch them up on their studies since going missing June 23 inside the labyrinthine complex in northern Thailand.

The boys also won’t have to take exams scheduled for next week.

“We’re going to eat fried chicken at KFC,” said Poowadet Khamngern, a 14-year-old who plays on the Wild Boars.

USA FOR TRUMP 🇺🇸 ‏ @USATrump45 28m28 minutes ago

JUST IN: FIFA has invited all boys from the Thai soccer team, who are currently being rescued from a cave in Thailand, to the World Cup Final. #WorldCup 

Offline goodwithagun

Classy. These boys are my heros. There’s no way I could endure what they did.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Polly Ticks

Oh my gosh, that’s awful. Can one of the divers stay in there with him until he can be brought out? I can’t imagine having to wait in there alone.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Oh my gosh, that’s awful. Can one of the divers stay in there with him until he can be brought out? I can’t imagine having to wait in there alone.

I would sure think that they would.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/986372/thailand-cave-rescue-operation-elon-musk-tham-luang-cave-thai-soccer-team-rescuers-latest

ELON Musk is in northern Thailand at Tham Luang cave with a prototype of a small submarine-like vessel which could be used to save the remaining four boys and their football coach who have been stranded for over two weeks.

Elon Musk tweeted he was in Thailand with a prototype mini-sub, at the flooded cave where four Thai boys and their coach remained trapped.

The tech billionaire tweeted: “Just returned from Cave 3. Mini-sub is ready if needed.

“It is made of rocket parts & named Wild Boar after kids’ soccer team. Leaving here in case it may be useful in the future.

Cave Three, which the space entrepreneur referred to in his tweet, is about two kilometers (1.2 miles) from the entrance of the cave network and is the base for Thai rescuers.

The four boys and their coach who are waiting to be rescued are about two kilometers (1.2 miles) further in.

On Saturday, the Tesla CEO tweeted he had several alternative plans, but that he had agreed with his team of experts the best idea was building a small submarine "fitted for a kid".

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article214584265.html

When Navy SEAL died during Thailand cave rescue, this North Texas doctor intervened

For the past two weeks, the whole world has been mesmerized by the plight of 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped inside a cave in Thailand.

On the other side of the world here in Texas, one doctor has done his part to help the rescue efforts.

Dr. Renie Guilliod, 56, medical director of hyperbaric medicine at the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine in Dallas, became involved in an advisory role when he heard that a former Thai Navy SEAL team member died Friday preparing for the rescue mission.

He sent an email to the governor of the province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, about the dangerous levels of carbon dioxide inside the cave.

"No one was mentioning the air quality which was at 15 percent" Guilliod said. "Normally in properly ventilated conditions human beings breath in 20 to 21 percent oxygen, which is fine. But if it had dropped to 15 percent then that meant that the carbon dioxide levels had to increase to at least 5 percent.

"These high levels of CO2 not only aggravate hypoxia because they affect the transport of oxygen to tissues, but they are also highly toxic."

From that point he was communicating with the Thai Navy SEALS through email, said Guilliod, also a faculty member at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

He proposed a set of solutions to stop the increase in carbon dioxide, how to breathe a lesser amount and how to reduce the levels inside the cave.

"Restricting the childrens' physical activity is crucial because the more they breathe, the more carbon dioxide level will increase," Guilliod said.

He also suggested moving the boys to a higher area inside the cave where they are now stationed to keep them breathing more oxygen and less carbon dioxide.