Author Topic: North Korea says talks with Pompeo 'regrettable': report  (Read 2421 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: North Korea says talks with Pompeo 'regrettable': report
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 11:45:25 pm »
The logistics of getting those exercises started again once they are cancelled is no easy feat.  There was a lot involved in making them happen only to see them killed.

And the Norks have China as a trading partner to help soften the blow of the sanctions.

HE should have given his policy a chance to quietly work before so arrogantly pronouncing that the North was no longer a nuclear threat.

I doubt Trump was bragging to make himself look good. I believe he thought there might be some advantage to be had in buttering up and perhaps creating pressure on Kim to negotiate in good faith.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. No harm in trying, other than it gives the peanut gallery something to hoot about.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 12:00:45 am »
Berlin Wall erected 1961

Reagan "Tear down this wall" speech 1987

Wall down 1989

And various meetings and negotiations, reducing nuclear arms.

You know what didn’t happen after the ‘tear down this wall’ speech?  Reagan didn’t fly back to DC and say ‘there no longer is a Berlin Wall.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 10:23:50 am »

You know what didn’t happen after the ‘tear down this wall’ speech?  Reagan didn’t fly back to DC and say ‘there no longer is a Berlin Wall.’

Exactly. Good point. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 11:19:45 am »

Why would he?  From a speech? 

Too clever by half.

Offline edpc

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:28 pm »
Too clever by half.

I see you've found another cutesy trite phrase to beat into the ground.  I guess you got tired of 'raisins dirt.'   Here's some new material when you start seeing cord on those tires.....

https://www.wordnik.com/lists/hackneyed-expressions-in-three-words
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:09:23 pm by edpc »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »
I doubt Trump was bragging to make himself look good. I believe he thought there might be some advantage to be had in buttering up and perhaps creating pressure on Kim to negotiate in good faith.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. No harm in trying, other than it gives the peanut gallery something to hoot about.

Exactly.

The other thing it does is make it absolutely clear that there is no diplomatic solution possible, because Trump went the extra mile.  No possible criticism that he should have tried diplomacy, etc..

I've thought all along that Trump putting himself out there personally like this made eventual military action much more likely.  He's not willing to sweep this problem under the rug like past Administrations.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 04:41:28 pm »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 04:55:00 pm »
@INVAR

There’s this one from last October, as well.....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:29 pm »
@edpc @INVAR

I'm telling you guys, Trump is setting himself up to be "deeply offended/betrayed" if/when the Norks refuse to follow through.  You guys are criticizing him from the wrong direction.  The issue isn't going to be that he was naive/soft on NK.  It is going to be that this was a setup for justifying military action.  He overstated the agreement on purpose.

He's done a lot of stupid things.  This effort with NK is one of the few where he didn't just stumble into three-dimension chess, but actually was playing it from the getgo.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2018, 06:02:53 pm »
The other thing it does is make it absolutely clear that there is no diplomatic solution possible, because Trump went the extra mile.  No possible criticism that he should have tried diplomacy, etc..

He could have done that without acting like an idiot.

Okay, maybe he couldn't, but it could have been done.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 06:02:53 pm »
@edpc @INVAR

I'm telling you guys, Trump is setting himself up to be "deeply offended/betrayed" if/when the Norks refuse to follow through.  You guys are criticizing him from the wrong direction.  The issue isn't going to be that he was naive/soft on NK.  It is going to be that this was a setup for justifying military action.  He overstated the agreement on purpose.

He's done a lot of stupid things.  This effort with NK is one of the few where he didn't just stumble into three-dimension chess, but actually was playing it from the getgo.

Oh, make no mistake.  I would love to see the Norks squashed.  They've been nothing but trouble and instigators since 1950.  A couple of things cited by this admin is the lack of bellicose rhetoric and tests from the north over the last few months. 

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, they tell us in a year or less, 'no thanks' on the offer.  Along with that, they maintain cordial relations with the south, don't conduct tests, and lay off the 'sea of fire' talk.  It won't change who they really are, but without all the other stuff, a pre-emptive strike will be a tough sell, politically.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »

Oh, make no mistake.  I would love to see the Norks squashed.  They've been nothing but trouble and instigators since 1950.  A couple of things cited by this admin is the lack of bellicose rhetoric and tests from the north over the last few months. 

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, they tell us in a year or less, 'no thanks' on the offer. 

I don't think the Administration will accept just lip service for that long, and that if the Norks haven't taken meaningful steps, there will be a strike on their ballistic launch facilities.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 06:23:31 pm »
I'm telling you guys, Trump is setting himself up to be "deeply offended/betrayed" if/when the Norks refuse to follow through.

I wonder if that analysis would have worked for Neville if his supporters 'splained it likewise as an underwater dimensional chess strategy.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 06:31:05 pm »
I don't think the Administration will accept just lip service for that long, and that if the Norks haven't taken meaningful steps, there will be a strike on their ballistic launch facilities.

I’m not saying it’d be wrong, but without open provocation from them after months of relative calm, it’s tough to politically justify.  For instance, we know Syria still has their chem arsenal.  If the admin decided to take it out tomorrow, without cause, there’d be hell to pay.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2018, 06:36:20 pm »

I’m not saying it’d be wrong, but without open provocation from them after months of relative calm, it’s tough to politically justify.  For instance, we know Syria still has their chem arsenal.  If the admin decided to take it out tomorrow, without cause, there’d be hell to pay.

An outlaw regime with the capability to deliver nukes anywhere on the continent is a geostrategic game changer that cannot be tolerated. Trump would have to make the case to the American people, but it would have to be decisively dealt with.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:38:39 pm by skeeter »

Offline edpc

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 04:11:33 am »

Secretary Pompeo
@SecPompeo

Constructive meeting with #Japan ‘s FM @konotaromp today to discuss the US - Japan alliance, the cornerstone of regional stability, and maintaining maximum pressure on the #DPRK @StateDept

July 7 2018

! No longer available

Just before the meeting, Trump said maximum pressure would remain in effect, but if the phrase was used afterwards, it means negotiations did not go well.  I doubt Pompeo made a mistake, choosing those words in a tweet, after his recent visit.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:14:27 am by edpc »

Offline edpc

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2018, 03:51:09 am »
Kim Jong Un snubbed Mike Pompeo for potato farm visit, state media suggests

https://news.sky.com/story/kim-jong-un-snubs-mike-pompeo-for-potato-farm-visit-state-media-suggests-11432246

Grown in ‘night soil.’  No thanks.