Author Topic: Soybean Farmers Hit Hard By Donald Trump’s Tariffs  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Soybean Farmers Hit Hard By Donald Trump’s Tariffs
« on: July 07, 2018, 02:43:21 am »
https://hillreporter.com/soybean-farmers-hit-hard-by-donald-trumps-tariffs-3425

If you’re a farmer in America and you’ve planted soybeans this season, you’re in for a world of hurt. Following Donald Trump’s trade war with China, Mexico, Canada, and the European Union, the price of soy has downturned to lows not seen in a decade.

Producers in both the United States and Brazil, who account for 80% of global exports, have watched as prices per bushel have fallen to $7.79, according to info compiled by the Minneapolis Grain Exchange.

Now that China’s tariffs have kicked in, soybean farmers may soon experience a further decline, which has already crippled their annual earnings.

As China and other countries have now fully engaged in a trade war with the United States, Trump has threatened additional tariffs against any country that fights back.

While Brazil is feeling the pinch, experts warn that China could become more dependent on the country, placing even more pressure on U.S. soy prices.

Bloomberg reports:

“The rally means the added premium for Brazil supplies are equal to about two-thirds the cost of the tariffs China is planning to levy on U.S. shipments, according to a report from INTL FCStone.”

Last week, China purchased nearly 1.1 million metric tons of soybeans from Brazil while no purchases from the U.S. were reported, Bloomberg notes.

More at link.

Trump is solving illegal immigration by reducing demand for American products and therefore removing the need for workers by American businesses.  #MAGA

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Soybean Farmers Hit Hard By Donald Trump’s Tariffs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 04:24:43 am »
Sort of for the "economics" forum really; but I'm not to judge. Yes, one can find a number of stories of farmers being hurt in all of these economic measures being taken.

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 04:42:23 am »
Got to break a few eggs to make an omelet right...

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 04:52:23 am »
Got to break a few eggs to make an omelet right...
Trump ain't making an omelet, he's making a dumpster fire worse while he sings praises to himself about how much better his flames burn.  And he's breaking American businesses and lives.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 05:17:08 am »
If it's not economical to harvest, it'll stay in the fields and make some huge deer in the Midwest this hunting season.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 06:08:07 am »
Hail Trump for ruining these commie farmers.

They need to learn to grow an American crop, not those pansy soybeans! 

Go Trump!  MAGA, by hurting Americans!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 06:25:07 am »
Trump ain't making an omelet, he's making a dumpster fire worse while he sings praises to himself about how much better his flames burn.  And he's breaking American businesses and lives.

Just Trumpsplainin...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 07:22:47 am »
November beans are right now $8.94/bu, right around where they were 2 years ago before Trump was even nominated.

While yes the tariffs have plunged the price for the moment, the article is a bit overdramatic.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »
The top three soybean-producing states are Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota. Roughly 17 million tons of soybeans, or 30% of U.S. production, were exported to China last year.

On a conference call with reporters Friday, several mayors said they hoped to talk to the White House to understand the goals behind its trade policy and make sure the Trump administration is aware of the risks to Midwest communities affected by the soybean tariffs.

“People’s livelihoods are on the line here,” said Jay Hollowell, mayor of Helena-West Helena, Ark. “Can we have a conversation with the White House or the U.S. Trade Representative on where all this is going?”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/midwest-mayors-say-soybean-tariffs-threaten-cities-1530910739
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:47 pm »
Dairy prices are at rock bottom, too, but nobody's blaming tariffs for that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Concerned

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 12:43:53 pm »
Dairy prices are at rock bottom, too, but nobody's blaming tariffs for that.

The U.S. dairy industry is getting hammered in trade disputes with Mexico, China and Canada, putting farms already in trouble at even greater risk.

Wholesale cheese and butter prices have slumped in recent weeks as buyers and sellers worry about the effect of new tariffs on dairy products, according to Pete Hardin, publisher of The Milkweed, a dairy industry publication based in Brooklyn, Wis.

“It’s a collapse of confidence in the world market. Globally, there’s some spectacular stuff going on,” Hardin said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/06/29/wisconsin-dairy-farmers-cheesemakers-risk-retaliatory-tariffs/745123002/

In perhaps an unprecedented letter to President Donald Trump, the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), the U.S. Dairy Export Council (USDEC), the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and more than 60 dairy associations and cheese makers have asked President Donald Trump to suspend tariffs on Mexican products........

“After rising during the spring, dairy futures markets and the farm-level milk price outlook for the rest of 2018 have deteriorated significantly in recent weeks, in reaction to the prospects of lost dairy export sales,” says Jim Mulhern, president and CEO of NMPF. “No one wants to see lasting damage to our farmers result from lost access to our top foreign market. That’s why resumption of tariff-free trade between the U.S. and Mexico is so critical.”

https://www.dairyherd.com/article/dairy-industry-trump-suspend-tariffs-mexican-products
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 12:52:03 pm »
American farmers are welfare queens. Joel Salatin has proven the traditional farmer wrong many times over. They’re doing it wrong and instead of changing and adapting, their lobbies pay off Congress for subsidies, tax breaks, price inflation, etc. Rant off.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 01:10:49 pm »
American farmers are welfare queens. Joel Salatin has proven the traditional farmer wrong many times over. They’re doing it wrong and instead of changing and adapting, their lobbies pay off Congress for subsidies, tax breaks, price inflation, etc. Rant off.

They didn't need the lobby to get Trump on board.  He had a subsidy back up plan working months ago.

Trump promises to 'make it up' to farmers hit by China tariffs

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/09/news/economy/trump-farmers-china-tariffs/index.html

Trump considers Depression-era program to bail out farmers caught in his trade war with China

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/04/11/trump-considers-depression-era-program-to-bail-out-farmers-caught-in-his-trade-war-with-china/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.e70357bf11df
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:14:27 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »

They didn't need the lobby to get Trump on board.  He had a subsidy back up plan working months ago.

Trump promises to 'make it up' to farmers hit by China tariffs

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/09/news/economy/trump-farmers-china-tariffs/index.html

Trump considers Depression-era program to bail out farmers caught in his trade war with China

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/04/11/trump-considers-depression-era-program-to-bail-out-farmers-caught-in-his-trade-war-with-china/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.e70357bf11df

I thought conservatives were against Depression era policies?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline endicom

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »
Quick. Everyone Duck and Cover.

Hide under your desks children, and don't look at the flash!

China can't produce enough soybeans so it imports them. Their wonderful Central Planners got caught with their pants down.

They've ordered Chinese farmers to assign MORE LAND to soybean production because they can't meet their consumption needs WITHOUT U.S. production.

There's nowhere else on earth for them to turn. No other combination of nations can supply their soybean needs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/07/china-government-orders-farmers-to-increase-soybean-acreage.html

Sit back with a cold one, calm down, and let this play out.

The ChiComs will be back, capitulating.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 03:10:26 pm »
Quick. Everyone Duck and Cover.

Hide under your desks children, and don't look at the flash!

China can't produce enough soybeans so it imports them. Their wonderful Central Planners got caught with their pants down.

They've ordered Chinese farmers to assign MORE LAND to soybean production because they can't meet their consumption needs WITHOUT U.S. production.

There's nowhere else on earth for them to turn. No other combination of nations can supply their soybean needs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/07/china-government-orders-farmers-to-increase-soybean-acreage.html

Sit back with a cold one, calm down, and let this play out.

The ChiComs will be back, capitulating.

I just finished an article translated from Mandarin by a Chinese economist on this subject and you are right. China gets most of its soybeans from the US. Even the stuff grown in Brazil is owned by US concerns. The upshot of the article is China will fold on this.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:08 pm »
Philip Dru

Remember that name.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 03:30:18 pm »
Philip Dru

Remember that name.

Thank You. I will.

https://www.amazon.com/Philip-Dru-Administrator-Tomorrow-1920-1935/dp/143441633X

K. Burns
1.0 out of 5 starsPretty Awful (Implications and Storyline)
March 27, 2012
Format: Paperback|Verified Purchase
"Philip Dru: Dictator...er...Administrator" is an all-around pathetic read. It is a political romance, lacking clear politics and offering confusing romantic relations. Throughout the book, I was under the assumption that Dru was asexual due to his indifference to Gloria's feminism. The romance was, I assume, that Dru was in love with his country first. He had to sacrifice his romantic desires for Gloria until he steered the country clear from threat.

There are far too many real books to read to waste a second on juvenile crap like Phillip Dru.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline endicom

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 03:40:58 pm »
Philip Dru

Remember that name.

Better to remember Joanne Dru.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 03:49:18 pm »
Thank You. I will.

https://www.amazon.com/Philip-Dru-Administrator-Tomorrow-1920-1935/dp/143441633X

K. Burns
1.0 out of 5 starsPretty Awful (Implications and Storyline)
March 27, 2012
Format: Paperback|Verified Purchase
"Philip Dru: Dictator...er...Administrator" is an all-around pathetic read. It is a political romance, lacking clear politics and offering confusing romantic relations. Throughout the book, I was under the assumption that Dru was asexual due to his indifference to Gloria's feminism. The romance was, I assume, that Dru was in love with his country first. He had to sacrifice his romantic desires for Gloria until he steered the country clear from threat.

There are far too many real books to read to waste a second on juvenile crap like Phillip Dru.

Looks like you pulled out the one trolling review. Here:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Philip_Dru:_Administrator

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 04:01:58 pm »
Looks like you pulled out the one trolling review. Here:

Well now there's a couple of staunch 'conservatives' to recommend it.

Glenn Beck

While doing research into the history of progressivism, Glenn Beck discovered and read Philip Dru.[15] He used both his then Fox broadcast show as well as his radio show to mainstream the novel, as well as having discussions about the book later on The Blaze.[16][17][18]

Even George Will has made comparisons[19] regarding Dru and progressivism, which had never happened before.

It took Beck over a year to do his "I Was WRONG About Trump! I wanna MAGA Hat" Bipolar/Manic Depressive turn around.

And George Will?????

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/george-will-endorses-democrats-terrible-idea/

Thanks Again.

Online DB

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 05:11:38 pm »

Not the small family owned farmers. It is a tough life filled with endless regulatory demands by the government.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »

I thought you hated tweeting @Once-Ler ... or is that just when Trump does it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 05:52:03 pm »
Not the small family owned farmers. It is a tough life filled with endless regulatory demands by the government.

It is, and those small family owned farms get welfare also. I’ve personally witnessed it with family dairy farmers. They also get the price fixing bennies that the corporate farms get. Joel Salatin has revolutionized farming to be both profitable and without Big Gov propping it up. Spin farmers are making well over 100K/year profit on as little as two acres THAT THEY DON’T EVEN OWN. YouTube Joel Salatin as well as SPIN farming and permaculture. It’s pretty eye opening.
I stand with Roosgirl.