Author Topic: Association of Prenatal Exposure to Population-Wide Folic Acid Fortification With Altered Cerebral C  (Read 675 times)

Offline Suppressed

July 3, 2018
Association of Prenatal Exposure to Population-Wide Folic Acid Fortification With Altered Cerebral Cortex Maturation in Youths

Hamdi Eryilmaz, PhD1; Kevin F. Dowling, BA1; Franklin C. Huntington, BA1; et al Anais Rodriguez-Thompson, BA1; Thomas W. Soare, PhD1; Lauren M. Beard, BS2; Hang Lee, PhD3; Jeffrey C. Blossom, MA4; Randy L. Gollub, MD, PhD1; Ezra Susser, MD, DrPH5,6,7; Ruben C. Gur, PhD2; Monica E. Calkins, PhD2; Raquel E. Gur, MD, PhD2; Theodore D. Satterthwaite, MD2; Joshua L. Roffman, MD, MMSc1

JAMA Psychiatry. Published online July 3, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2018.1381

Key Points
Question  Is increased fetal exposure to folic acid, implemented through population-wide fortification of grain products, associated with clinically meaningful changes in postnatal brain development?

Findings In a cohort of 292 youths 8 to 18 years of age with normative results of clinical magnetic resonance imaging, delayed age-associated thinning of the cerebral cortex, a pattern suggesting reduced risk for severe mental illness, emerged among individuals who gestated during and after the fortification rollout in the United States (1996-1997). Studies of 2 additional independent US cohorts (N = 1078) confirmed the reliability and temporal specificity of fortification-associated delays of cortical thinning and demonstrated an associated reduction in psychosis risk.

Meaning  Beyond its known association with the prevention of neural tube defects, increased gestational exposure to folic acid through food fortification may protect against psychosis through altered postnatal cortical development.

Abstract
Importance Presently, 81 countries mandate the fortification of grain products with folic acid to lessen the risk of neural tube defects in the developing fetus. Epidemiologic data on severe mental illness suggest potentially broader effects of prenatal folate exposure on postnatal brain development, but this link remains unsubstantiated by biological evidence.

Objective To evaluate associations among fetal folic acid exposure, cortical maturation, and psychiatric risk in youths.

Design, Setting, and Participants  A retrospective, observational clinical cohort study was conducted at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) among 292 youths 8 to 18 years of age born between January 1993 and December 2001 (inclusive of folic acid fortification rollout ±3.5 years) with normative results of clinical magnetic resonance imaging, divided into 3 age-matched groups based on birthdate and related level of prenatal folic acid fortification exposure (none, partial, or full). Magnetic resonance imaging was performed between January 2005 and March 2015. Two independent, observational, community-based cohorts (Philadelphia Neurodevelopmental Cohort [PNC] and National Institutes of Health Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study of Normal Brain Development [NIH]) comprising 1078 youths 8 to 18 years of age born throughout (PNC, 1992-2003) or before (NIH, 1983-1995) the rollout of folic acid fortification were studied for replication, clinical extension, and specificity. Statistical analysis was conducted from 2015 to 2018.

Exposures  United States–mandated grain product fortification with folic acid, introduced in late 1996 and fully in effect by mid-1997.

Main Outcomes and Measures  Differences in cortical thickness among nonexposed, partially exposed, and fully exposed youths (MGH) and underlying associations between age and cortical thickness (all cohorts). Analysis of the PNC cohort also examined the association of age–cortical thickness slopes with the odds of psychotic symptoms.

Results  The MGH cohort (139 girls and 153 boys; mean [SD] age, 13.3 [2.3] years) demonstrated exposure-associated cortical thickness increases in bilateral frontal and temporal regions (9.9% to 11.6%; corrected P < .001 to P = .03) and emergence of quadratic (delayed) age-associated thinning in temporal and parietal regions (β = –11.1 to –13.9; corrected P = .002). The contemporaneous PNC cohort (417 girls and 444 boys; mean [SD] age, 13.5 [2.7] years) also exhibited exposure-associated delays of cortical thinning (β = –1.59 to –1.73; corrected P < .001 to P = .02), located in similar regions and with similar durations of delay as in the MGH cohort. Flatter thinning profiles in frontal, temporal, and parietal regions were associated with lower odds of psychosis spectrum symptoms in the PNC cohort (odds ratio, 0.37-0.59; corrected P < .05). All identified regions displayed earlier thinning in the nonexposed NIH cohort (118 girls and 99 boys; mean [SD] age, 13.3 [2.6] years).

Conclusions and Relevance  The results of this study suggest an association between gestational exposure to fortification of grain products with folic acid and altered cortical development and, in turn, with reduction in the risk of psychosis in youths.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Mandatory fortification of grain products with folic acid seems to have been successful in reducing the risk of neural tube defects in the developing fetus. It appears to have reduced the risk for severe mental illness/psychosis.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline goodwithagun

Yet autism is on the rise. Here’s a though, let’s stop bleeping around with the food supplies of industrialized nations.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Yet autism is on the rise. Here’s a though, let’s stop bleeping around with the food supplies of industrialized nations.

Are you blaming that on folic acid?

Offline goodwithagun

Are you blaming that on folic acid?

Not at all. My oldest (nine) is on the high functioning end and sometimes I develop a bit of gallows humor about it. My point is, let food be food.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Not at all. My oldest (nine) is on the high functioning end and sometimes I develop a bit of gallows humor about it. My point is, let food be food.

Sometimes that doesn’t cut it.  Iodizing salt is a good example.

Offline goodwithagun

Sometimes that doesn’t cut it.  Iodizing salt is a good example.

Just a quick google search indicates that to be much ado about nothing. Again, developing nations might need it. We don’t.
I stand with Roosgirl.