Author Topic: Trump reportedly leaning toward Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Trump reportedly leaning toward Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2018, 04:29:53 pm »
I have no real problem with Barrett other than my fear she cannot be confirmed, and that the motivation of her supporters has little to do with the Supreme Court, and everything to do with "making heads explode".      @Emjay

I don't know where you get that.  Certainly not here.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2018, 04:29:56 pm »
Roberts didn't "rewrite the ACA".  That's such bullshit.  The mandate always was codified as part of the Internal Revenue Code, the same as with any tax.   I work with the damn thing everyday.   The criticism of Roberts by conservatives is, IMO, appalling.   He upheld legislation conservatives didn't like, and he's been crucified for it ever since.   I am sick and tired of both sides - but especially conservatives who SHOULD KNOW BETTER - who demand that judges overturn the work of the political branches they disagree with, while screaming "judicial activism!" when it's done with respect to legislation they favor.

JUDGES HAVE NO BUSINESS LEGISLATING FROM THE BENCH.   Period.  I am sick and tire of the hypocrisy - and the intellectual laziness.

I think I'll just go with Judge Barrett on this
Barrett said of Roberts:

... pushed the Affordable Care Act beyond its plausible meaning to save the statute. He construed the penalty imposed on those without health insurance as a tax, which permitted him to sustain the statute as a valid exercise of the taxing power; had he treated the payment as the statute did – as a penalty – he would have had to invalidate the statute as lying beyond Congress’s commerce power … [A] judge who adopts an interpretation inconsistent with the text fails to enforce the statute that commanded majority support. If the majority did not enact a "tax," interpreting the statute to impose a tax lacks democratic legitimacy … it is illegitimate for the Court to distort either the Constitution or a statute to achieve what it deems a preferable result.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2018, 04:43:10 pm »
I think I'll just go with Judge Barrett on this
Barrett said of Roberts:

... pushed the Affordable Care Act beyond its plausible meaning to save the statute. He construed the penalty imposed on those without health insurance as a tax, which permitted him to sustain the statute as a valid exercise of the taxing power; had he treated the payment as the statute did – as a penalty – he would have had to invalidate the statute as lying beyond Congress’s commerce power … [A] judge who adopts an interpretation inconsistent with the text fails to enforce the statute that commanded majority support. If the majority did not enact a "tax," interpreting the statute to impose a tax lacks democratic legitimacy … it is illegitimate for the Court to distort either the Constitution or a statute to achieve what it deems a preferable result.

And Barrett is wrong, with respect to Justice Roberts.   It would have been illegitimate to defy the political branches by deep-sixing a 2000-page piece of legislation on a technicality.  The individual mandate was described in the Tax Code, and  enforced by means of the Tax Code.   Individuals reported compliance by means of attaching information to their individual tax returns.   IT WAS DESIGNED AS, AND IN FACT WAS, A TAX.   

Don't be a fool.  If Roberts had overturned the ACA on a technicality, it would have been the height of judicial activism and arrogance.   Is that what Barrett would have done?  THEN SHE'S NO CONSERVATIVE!

Replacing the ACA is the responsibility of the political branches.   The individual mandate is now gone - the system worked exactly as the Founders intended.  And that's because the process wasn't short-circuited by an unelected judge.   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:44:37 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2018, 04:45:33 pm »
I don't know where you get that.  Certainly not here.

Hey, if she's nominated, I'll support her.  But I'll bet she can't be confirmed.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2018, 05:00:44 pm »
And Barrett is wrong, with respect to Justice Roberts.   It would have been illegitimate to defy the political branches by deep-sixing a 2000-page piece of legislation on a technicality.

This is why absolutely NO ONE should ever regard anything you ever have to say on this board as anything but Leftist Pablum and bullshit.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2018, 05:18:17 pm »
This is why absolutely NO ONE should ever regard anything you ever have to say on this board as anything but Leftist Pablum and bullshit.

Why?  Do you want liberal judges throwing out conservative legislation on a technicality?   Roberts is a Constitutional conservative who understands the Court's role. 

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:19:51 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2018, 05:34:28 pm »
Why?  Do you want liberal judges throwing out conservative legislation on a technicality?   Roberts is a Constitutional conservative who understands the Court's role. 

Pathetic and laughable.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2018, 06:28:48 pm »
Roberts didn't "rewrite the ACA".  That's such bullshit.  The mandate always was codified as part of the Internal Revenue Code, the same as with any tax.   I work with the damn thing everyday.   The criticism of Roberts by conservatives is, IMO, appalling.   He upheld legislation conservatives didn't like, and he's been crucified for it ever since.   I am sick and tired of both sides - but especially conservatives who SHOULD KNOW BETTER - who demand that judges overturn the work of the political branches they disagree with, while screaming "judicial activism!" when it's done with respect to legislation they favor.

JUDGES HAVE NO BUSINESS LEGISLATING FROM THE BENCH.   Period.  I am sick and tire of the hypocrisy - and the intellectual laziness.

Did the ACA violate the Commerce clause or did it not?

The case wasn't about a health care "tax" being called a penalty or a mandate.
Robert had to insert that in order for it to be upheld, no matter how much you like rewriting history, it's just a fact.
He had to make it appear as if this was a medicare type tax in order for it to be legal.
If he did not, the law violates the commerce clause.

It is not "judicial activism" to strike it down for violating the commerce clause.

He did that, called the "mandate" a "tax" thereby rewriting the law that didn't call for a tax, judicial activism.

No one else.

He was wrong in doing so.

I guess we have to argue this on every thread now, so it seems.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:07 pm »

He did that, called the "mandate" a "tax" thereby rewriting the law that didn't call for a tax, judicial activism.

No one else.

What do you mean "no one else"?    What about the text of the law itself? 

As I've explained, the individual "mandate" (a colloquialism, not a legal term)  was established/codified under the Internal Revenue Code, and enforced by the IRS.   To indicate compliance, an individual filed a statement as part of his Form 1040.

Please explain why this wasn't a tax.   Please explain how Roberts "rewrote" the law.   The law ALWAYS provided for the mandate's codification and enforcement under the Tax Code!     
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 06:43:03 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2018, 07:06:14 pm »
What do you mean "no one else"?    What about the text of the law itself? 

As I've explained, the individual "mandate" (a colloquialism, not a legal term)  was established/codified under the Internal Revenue Code, and enforced by the IRS.   To indicate compliance, an individual filed a statement as part of his Form 1040.

Please explain why this wasn't a tax.   Please explain how Roberts "rewrote" the law.   The law ALWAYS provided for the mandate's codification and enforcement under the Tax Code!   

I'll repeat where I started:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2018, 07:24:40 pm »

...hmm....I must have missed the memo trying to convince me that Roberts is a constitutional conservative.  :shrug:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2018, 07:33:32 pm »

Thank you for proving yet again that you wouldn't know what a Constitutional Conservative is if you tried.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2018, 07:34:16 pm »
I'll repeat where I started:

No - certainly not under Supreme Court jurisprudence going back at least to the thirties that takes an expansive view of the Commerce Clause. 

The Commerce Clause, as you well know, is notorious as the "hook" that has permitted the federal government to regulate all manner of aspects of our economic lives.  It doesn't take much to show impact on interstate commerce, and permit Federal regulation.   You would think that would create a tension between the prerogatives of the federal government under the Commerce Clause and the right of the States under the 10th amendment to tend to their own economic affairs (ESPECIALLY with respect to insurance, the regulation of which has traditionally been a state concern). 

Ironically, it is conservatives who these days advocate stripping the states of their traditional authority.  Proposals to allow consumers to buy insurance "across state lines" is a direct slap to the historic role of the states in regulating insurance within their borders.  But the Commerce Clause is the Big Daddy of Constitutional prerogatives -  just as liberals relied on it impose ObamaCare, so do conservatives want to rely on it to allow Pennsylvania residents to buy insurance issued in Virginia that doesn't meet Pennsylvania standards.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2018, 07:37:02 pm »
Thank you for proving yet again that you wouldn't know what a Constitutional Conservative is if you tried.

And you're an expert?   <NOPE>  *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:41:35 pm by MOD3 »

Oceander

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2018, 07:37:59 pm »
And you're an expert?   <NOPE>   *****rollingeyes*****

I thought that was my distinction. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:41:54 pm by MOD3 »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2018, 07:43:15 pm »
And you're an expert?   <NOPE>  *****rollingeyes*****

More of an expert than you given what you think does and doesn't qualify as a "Constitutional Conservative".
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2018, 08:06:09 pm »
   I just pulled it out of my azz, but it makes sense to me.

I KNEW there was a reason we got along!

888sunglass

/snicker
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:08:10 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2018, 08:31:29 pm »

...hmm....I must have missed the memo trying to convince me that Roberts is a constitutional conservative.  :shrug:

@libertybele   Don’t worry...that’s only the case in @Jazzhead bass-ackwards Gumby-twisting altogether wrong and f’d up progressive worldview.   For the sane rest of the country, <NOPE>

And in a hot second he’ll be right along telling us that Roberts a staunch conservative, gun control makes conservative sense, the ACA was da bomb and abortion is a sanctified right.   And then he’ll tell us that he’s the only conservative here.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:07:44 pm by MOD3 »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2018, 08:59:58 pm »
Don’t worry...that’s only the case in @Jazzhead bass-ackwards Gumby-twisting altogether wrong and f’d up progressive worldview.

And in a hot second he’ll be right along telling us that Roberts a staunch conservative, gun control makes conservative sense, the ACA was da bomb and abortion is a sanctified right.   And then he’ll tell us that he’s the only conservative here.

He has ALREADY done all of that.  We've heard his tired treatises on how his views are the ONLY legit Conservative views, and the rest of us are bigoted intolerants who are too stupid to understand the Constitution and the law.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2018, 10:34:45 pm »
No - certainly not under Supreme Court jurisprudence going back at least to the thirties that takes an expansive view of the Commerce Clause. 

The Commerce Clause, as you well know, is notorious as the "hook" that has permitted the federal government to regulate all manner of aspects of our economic lives.  It doesn't take much to show impact on interstate commerce, and permit Federal regulation.   You would think that would create a tension between the prerogatives of the federal government under the Commerce Clause and the right of the States under the 10th amendment to tend to their own economic affairs (ESPECIALLY with respect to insurance, the regulation of which has traditionally been a state concern). 

Ironically, it is conservatives who these days advocate stripping the states of their traditional authority.  Proposals to allow consumers to buy insurance "across state lines" is a direct slap to the historic role of the states in regulating insurance within their borders.  But the Commerce Clause is the Big Daddy of Constitutional prerogatives -  just as liberals relied on it impose ObamaCare, so do conservatives want to rely on it to allow Pennsylvania residents to buy insurance issued in Virginia that doesn't meet Pennsylvania standards.     

States mandate that all drivers must carry auto insurance, and that auto insurance is purchased from a commercial company, not the government, and it is within that state.
This doesn't violate the commerce clause.

A state that mandates this coverage, cuold allow you to purchase it in another state if need be.
I wouldn't see that being a big blow to conservatism or the commerce clause, as long as it met the state's requirement for whatever coverage that would be in that state's law.
They also require smoke alarms, and they don't seem too particular where they come from, again, as long as they meet certain requirements.

Yet, when the federal government forces (mandates, taxes) individuals to purchase anything from private companies, this does violate the commerce clause.
I do not see how it could not.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2018, 10:45:14 pm »
Roberts twisted himself into a pretzel to come up with justification for Obamacare, and Jazzhead is twisting himself into a pretzel defending Roberts' ruling.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2018, 12:31:59 am »
@libertybele   Don’t worry...that’s only the case in @Jazzhead bass-ackwards Gumby-twisting altogether wrong and f’d up progressive worldview.   For the sane rest of the country, <NOPE>

And much smarter than the rest of us, just ask him. He called someone here an idiot earlier.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2018, 12:36:10 am »
The irony is that Roberts didn’t have to rewrite the statute in order to issue a judicially minimalist opinion. He could have done what the Obama administration asked him to do: if the individual mandate is unconstitutional under the Commerce Clause, also sever the law’s guaranteed-issue and community rating provisions, and leave the rest of the law intact.

Instead, he invented out of whole cloth a new definition of taxation that contravenes long-standing precedent. He added hundreds of billions of dollars to the federal deficit, by way of his Medicaid ruling. And he forever tarnished his legacy as a Justice, and his promise to the nation that he would serve as an umpire, and “remember that it’s my job to call balls and strikes, and not to pitch or bat.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2012/07/01/the-supreme-courts-john-roberts-changed-his-obamacare-vote-in-may/

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2018, 12:43:41 am »

...and exactly why I have found that the 'ignore' feature comes in handy.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.