Author Topic: 2 Detroit Tigers stars become US citizens during ballpark ceremony  (Read 330 times)

rangerrebew

2 Detroit Tigers stars become US citizens during ballpark ceremony

Published June 26, 2018
FoxNews.com

Two Detroit Tigers stars had much to celebrate Monday night despite losing 5-4 to the Oakland Athletics.

Leonys Martin and Jose Iglesias, both natives of Cuba, were among a group of people who were sworn in as American citizens in pre-game festivities hosted by the Tigers before the game.

"I will never forget about my country, but it's amazing to be part of United States," said Martin, a 30-year-old outfielder. "Being able to do it here in the ballpark, right in front of the fans, that was really emotional."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/06/26/2-detroit-tigers-stars-become-us-citizens-during-ballpark-ceremony.html

rangerrebew

Re: 2 Detroit Tigers stars become US citizens during ballpark ceremony
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:09:32 am »
First of all, let me say to be a Detroit Tiger "star" isn't saying very much.  However, they were stars for a day to have chosen the ball park venue to be sworn in as citizens.  It was a bold and powerful message about the pride they have in becoming citizens.  I can't begin to imagine anyone in the NFL bold enough, or owner patriotic enough, to allow a pro football player do the same. **nononono*