Author Topic: Canadian Father Stunned To Learn He Cannot Pass His Citizenship to His Foreign Born Children  (Read 524 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CTV

URL: https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/father-stunned-citizenship-won-t-pass-on-to-children-1.3997606

by Nick Wells

A Canadian father is blaming Canada's citizenship rules for keeping his kids separated from him and his home country.

Patrick Chandler was stunned to learn despite being a Canadian citizen, he wasn’t able to pass on his citizenship to his four-year-old and nine-year-old children, who were born in China while he was working there.

He attempted to bring his kids to Canada but was stopped at the last minute by Canadian officials.

“(The worker) starts stamping the documents and says at the very last second, ‘Oh wait a second. You weren’t born in Canada and neither was your daughter. We can't process this application. She’s not allowed to get Canadian citizenship.’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’” he told CTV Vancouver.

It turns out Chandler’s birthplace has complicated his own bid to be reunited with his kids.

He was born in Libya to Canadian parents, and lived in Canada from the time he was two until his late teens.

Until 2009, a child of a Canadian citizen who was born abroad automatically acquired Canadian citizenship. The former federal Conservative government changed the law to allow the first child born abroad to a Canadian to keep their citizenship. However, that child’s kids aren’t entitled to Canadian citizenship.

"I was shocked. Stunned that this was a thing," Chandler said.

Chandler's daughter was born three months after that law passed. He says his daughter wasn’t able to receive Chinese citizenship due to rules regarding registering births. However, she was able to claim Irish citizenship through Chandler's father.

His son is a Chinese national.

The ordeal has left him separated from his kids and wife for the past seven months, reduced to keeping in touch by phone.

"I've been missing a lot in these last few months," he said.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline dfwgator

Love to see somebody do a parody of the Time cover with the child crying and replace Trump with Trudeau.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Love to see somebody do a parody of the Time cover with the child crying and replace Trump with Trudeau.

Okay.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:37:55 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn