Author Topic: Woman in police custody after scaling Statue of Liberty to protest Trump immigration policy  (Read 776 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Woman in police custody after scaling Statue of Liberty to protest Trump immigration policy
By Aris Folley - 07/04/18 06:53 PM EDT

A woman who attempted to scale the Statue of Liberty on July 4 was taken into police custody following a more than three-hour standoff.

The woman, still unidentified, had attempted to scale the 150-foot-tall statue after climbing Lady Liberty's pedestal earlier Wednesday.

According to CNN, the woman had told police, she wouldn't come down until "all the children are released," the New York Police Department told CNN.

The woman reportedly climbed the Statue of Liberty joining a group of people who were protesting the separation of migrant families near the statue earlier on Wednesday.

According to CNN, the woman is affiliated with Rise and Resist, a New York-based group whose mission is stated as being “committed to opposing, disrupting, and defeating any government act that threatens democracy, equality, and our civil liberties.”

Martin Joseph Quinn, a group organizer, told CNN that the woman’s climb was not planned as part of the protest.

"She climbed without our knowledge. It was not part of our action. We are deeply concerned for her safety," Quinn said.

At least seven other protesters were reportedly arrested earlier on Liberty Island after unrolling a banner that read “Abolish I.C.E.” at the demonstration, condemning President Trump’s immigration policies, according to NBC New York

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/395537-woman-arrested-after-scaling-statue-of-liberty-to-protest-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'm no expert, it looks like she must have some good climbing skills though. I deleted my story on this, I should have merged it. But this looks like a better one. Mine had no comments, I posted about 5 minutes ago.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline Suppressed

Ruined a holiday visit for many people, too...they had to evacuate everyone.  Selfish protestors!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Statue of Liberty climber identified as immigrant activist
NY Post, Jul 4, 2018

Cops say Therese Patricia Okoumou — a 44-year-old immigrant from the Democratic Republic of the Congo — was the person responsible for the Fourth of July protest.  She lives in the St. George neighborhood of Staten Island and is currently in federal custody, according to police sources.

According to court records, she’s a Congolese immigrant who once filed a complaint with the New York City Commission on Human Rights — seeking a judicial review and reversal of a “determination” it made regarding alleged incidents of abuse that Okoumou suffered at the hands of a social services agency on Staten Island where she worked.

Specifically, Okoumou claimed that in 2005 she was treated “in a demeaning manner” by her bosses and told that she would be fired “for complaining of discrimination.” It’s unclear why her complaint was tossed out.

In 2011, Okoumou made headlines after she was hit with an astounding 60 violations for illegally posting ads for her services as a personal trainer.  The Department of Sanitation slapped her with $4,500 in fines that year after she spent five hours one Sunday posting the fliers on Manhattan utility poles.

In 2017, she was arrested and charged with obstructing governmental administration, unlawful assembly and trespassing during a demonstration at the Department of Labor building on Varick Street. She had allegedly covered her mouth with tape and refused to respond to police demands.

On Wednesday, Okoumou told investigators that she was part of a group protest organized by Rise and Resist NYC. The activists unfurled a banner on Liberty Island less than an hour before her climb, which read: “ABOLISH ICE.”

Organizers initially tried distancing themselves from Okoumou’s Statue of Liberty stunt — saying she had “no connection” to their cause — but later admitted that she was part of the group.

More:  https://nypost.com/2018/07/04/statue-of-liberty-climber-identified-as-immigrant-activist/

Silver Pines

Dems on social media are saying it was racist to send an “army” after a single black woman.  I guess those cretins don’t understand one cop couldn’t handle holiday crowds and a rescue effort.

I just....

Offline mountaineer

Jim Hoft  Verified account @gatewaypundit
9h9 hours ago

Therese Patricia Okoumou came to US 10 years ago from Congo.
* Sued housing group for racism (lost)
* Protests US policy regularly
* Climbs Statue of Liberty on 4th of July
* Raises Resist T-shirt
Only a Democrat would think she is asset to country
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rustynail

They were Kings...

Silver Pines

Jim Hoft  Verified account @gatewaypundit
9h9 hours ago

Therese Patricia Okoumou came to US 10 years ago from Congo.
* Sued housing group for racism (lost)
* Protests US policy regularly
* Climbs Statue of Liberty on 4th of July
* Raises Resist T-shirt
Only a Democrat would think she is asset to country

To hell with her.  I hope they garnish her paycheck for the rest of her life to recoup the rescue effort cost, if she even has a job.  Ideally she’d be sent back, but that won’t happen.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Really? On such a hot day? What about global warming?

Idiots.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline goatprairie

Dems on social media are saying it was racist to send an “army” after a single black woman.  I guess those cretins don’t understand one cop couldn’t handle holiday crowds and a rescue effort.

I just....
There should have been more than one cop there. It should have been obvious to security personnel/people in charge that on the 4th the nuts would attempt a stunt on  something  famous like the SOL.

Offline dfwgator

Get used to it.

The Left has decided to go after July 4th.

Offline skeeter

This woman is proof the DHS has no discernible standard for mental salubrity. Who knows what kinds of lunatics they're currently admitting.