Author Topic: Alan Dershowitz: Trump should nominate a 'true conservative' to the Supreme Court  (Read 1095 times)

Offline endicom

Washington Examiner
Katelyn Caralle
July 3, 2018

Harvard Law professor and Fox News contributor Alan Dershowitz said Tuesday he hopes President Trump nominates a “true conservative” to the Supreme Court in order to help broaden Trump’s base and unite the country.

“I hope [Trump] is looking for [a] libertarian conservative, a true conservative, who elevates the rights of individual over the power of government,” Dershowitz told "Fox and Friends." “A true conservative also respects precedent, doesn't come to the court with an agenda, with a list of issues he wants to see change.”

Dershowitz also said Trump can be expected to choose someone not only based in part on recommendation, but also mostly on his own personal interaction with those individuals.

More... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/alan-dershowitz-trump-should-nominate-a-true-conservative-to-the-supreme-court

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"Kavanaugh, like the other conservatives in the high court, has expressed skepticism about the Chevron doctrine, which says judges should defer to executive branch agencies’ interpretation of ambiguous statutes. He called Chevron “an atextual invention by the courts” and “nothing more than a judicially orchestrated shift of power from Congress to the Executive Branch.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/meet-the-contenders-to-fill-justice-anthony-kennedys-seat-on-the-supreme-court
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline endicom

"Kavanaugh, like the other conservatives in the high court, has expressed skepticism about the Chevron doctrine, which says judges should defer to executive branch agencies’ interpretation of ambiguous statutes. He called Chevron “an atextual invention by the courts” and “nothing more than a judicially orchestrated shift of power from Congress to the Executive Branch.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/meet-the-contenders-to-fill-justice-anthony-kennedys-seat-on-the-supreme-court

There is too much power wielded by bureaucrats so I'll go with Kavanaugh's position.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Derschowitz has quietly become the very last reasonable pundit of the left.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Derschowitz has quietly become the very last reasonable pundit of the left.

I'm not sure he fits into the left anymore.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'm not sure he fits into the left anymore.

Yeah, true.  The left has shifted left.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

• Wulf Anson Author

There is too much power wielded by bureaucrats so I'll go with Kavanaugh's position.

This was also mentioned by Mike Lee as a deciding factor in his approval of Gorsuch.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:40:18 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline endicom

This was also mentioned by Mike Lee as a deciding factor in his approval of Gorsuch.

A tip o' the cap to Mike Lee.

Offline jpsb

Barrett looking better and better all the time.

• Wulf Anson Author

A tip o' the cap to Mike Lee.

Lee said he spent a lot of time reading Gorsuch decisions and found a decided and repeated aversion to Chevron doctrine.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Democratic party has become anti-Israel, that is probably Dershowitz's main objection. If he's fair though, that's what is important. Some are not fair, ignore.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

“I hope [Trump] is looking for [a] libertarian conservative, a true conservative, who elevates the rights of individual over the power of government,” Dershowitz told "Fox and Friends." “A true conservative also respects precedent, doesn't come to the court with an agenda, with a list of issues he wants to see change.”

I agree completely with Mr. Dershowitz.  I'd be fascinated to know which of the candidates that the President is considering meet, in Dershowitz's view, his criteria.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I agree completely with Mr. Dershowitz.  I'd be fascinated to know which of the candidates that the President is considering meet, in Dershowitz's view, his criteria.

Dersh is still tethered to his democrat party partisanship. He would likely say none of them.

I respectfully submit.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

Totally agree with this, "all men are created equal"....it's time we stop denying the right to some individuals, making them less than human like something that was carried out by the 3rd Reich. Over to you Allen.  Yes, from the Declaration of Independence, nonetheless, it's all men are created equal, not born equal.

Offline Suppressed

Yes, from the Declaration of Independence, nonetheless, it's all men are created equal, not born equal.

Yes, men.

Not women or children.

Interesting point.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Dersh is still tethered to his democrat party partisanship. He would likely say none of them.

I respectfully submit.

Well, in the current political climate, it would be both useful and patriotic to express his opinion whether any of the present candidates meet his criteria.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:56:58 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, true.  The left has shifted left.
From the cheap seats, it isn't just the left that shifted left.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well, in the current political climate, it would be both useful and patriotic to express his opinion whether any of the present candidates meet his criteria.
I recall the "Free Speech" movement at UC Berkeley during the 1960s led by old school "Liberals," and I recall the Skokie case advanced by the ACLU.

The dem party has been mainly taken over by progressivism, neo-liberalism, anti-free speech, Postmodernism, intersectionality, at the behest of SJWs.

Hardly anobody on the left besides Dersh says a word.

The Intellectual Dark Web (IDW), is mainly made up of people that are pushing back against this neoliberalism on campuses and the public media.

By the way, some from the old left are now calling themselves "classic liberals," or libertarians.

Professional educators have largely caved to the loud SJWs.

I believe it is widely believed in the Anglosphere is is dragging their left causes into a losing situation.

Losses in November might wake them up. But it is doubtful. Too close to Obama.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

Yes, men.

Not women or children.

Interesting point.

Please expand on this; are you saying women and children are not included.

Believe me, Trump is in the White House, you don't like it but the culture of death, you, @Jazzhead and @Oceander praise is on the run.

• Wulf Anson Author
I don't think it's a right/left issue for Prof Dershowitz but the fact that he Does understand the Constitution and the way our laws are really supposed to operate.

And his POV is outrage at the wholesale liberties being taken and impressed upon his love, the Law itself.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Thanx Washington Examiner...I'd like to know what Putin and Kim Jong Un think too.
Maybe Dershowitz can ask OJ what he thinks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:05:50 am by Once-Ler »