Author Topic: Will John McCain's selfishness torpedo Trump's Supreme Court nominee?  (Read 845 times)

rangerrebew

July 3, 2018
Will John McCain's selfishness torpedo Trump's Supreme Court nominee?
By Ed Straker

Republicans theoretically have a 51-49 majority in the Senate, but in practice, it has been 50-49, since John McCain has left the Senate due to his brain cancer and shows no signs of returning.  This makes it difficult for the Senate to pass legislation, of course, but since the Senate needs 60 votes for most matters, McCain's absence is not critical.

...except for judicial nominees.  Under current rules, only a majority of senators is needed to approve judicial nominees. That's why every senator counts.  With McCain's absence, if one Republican senator defects, and no Democrats support Trump's Supreme Court nominee, that nominee will not be confirmed.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/07/will_john_mccains_selfishness_torpedo_trumps_supreme_court_nominee.html#ixzz5KI7MceQi

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And, with one seat "belonging" to the McCains and what's-her-name from Maine, the candidate will not be confirmed.  Unless a few dems defect, and I just can't see that happening in the current climate of hysteria over a "conservative" court.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
And, with one seat "belonging" to the McCains and what's-her-name from Maine, the candidate will not be confirmed.  Unless a few dems defect, and I just can't see that happening in the current climate of hysteria over a "conservative" court.

Too bad for McCain that his legacy will be filled more with disgust than respect from the populus.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Trump could always get around this by nominating a David Souter.  Collins and Murkowski would vote for a Suiter.  Or pick a moonbat lefty like Kagan or Sotomayor and get some Dems to approve.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Too bad for McCain that his legacy will be filled more with disgust than respect from the populus.

I don't think McCain ever gave a crap about respect from the populus.  I think he only cared about his sinecure.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I thought the VP cast the deciding vote in a tie.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

True.  Couldn't be any closer. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

If McCain is not there to vote, there will only be 99 votes to count. There can't be a tie.
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
If McCain is not there to vote, there will only be 99 votes to count. There can't be a tie.

Abstain is an option in voting
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Abstain is an option in voting

Yes, it is.  I don't think you'll see a lot of abstentions in a vote to confirm a Supreme Court Justice.  Especially if the vote is close.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Will John McCain's selfishness torpedo Trump's Supreme Court nominee?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 01:12:52 am »
Something to consider:

Although it remains unknown as of now whether or not Republicans will hold the House, they're almost certainly going to pick up seats in the Senate (since there are so many democrat-communists up for re-election).

I'd reckon Mr. Trump's chances of ramming through the most conservative nominee possible will actually _increase_ after the election...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:13:25 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 11:06:29 am »
If the guy cannot do his job he needs to retire, period.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 01:47:20 pm »
If the guy cannot do his job he needs to retire, period.

:word:

I didn't much like it when he did his job of damaging conservatives, but he was doing it and sometimes did OK.  But now, he's a guaranteed "No Vote," which in most cases is a "No" vote.  Most unhelpful.
I will NOT comply.