Author Topic: This 25-Year-Old's Warning About Fireworks Safety Is Going Viral After a Celebration Left Him Nearly  (Read 344 times)

rangerrebew

This 25-Year-Old's Warning About Fireworks Safety Is Going Viral After a Celebration Left Him Nearly Blind

Fireworks are legal in almost every state, and a new law in Pennsylvania makes them easier than ever to buy. Here's why that worries doctors.
Amanda MacMillan July 03, 2018

Philadelphia resident Rasaan Urquhart has a message for anyone looking to celebrate Independence Day with some pyrotechnic pizazz: Enjoy those fireworks from a distance. The 25-year-old went blind in one eye after a firework exploded in his face earlier this year—an injury that’s sidelined his position as a firefighter and affected his role as a father.

Urquhart says he was attending a neighborhood victory celebration after the Eagles’ Super Bowl win back in February. “Suddenly, someone started lighting fireworks nearby and couldn’t get one started,” he said in a press release from Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. He went over to lend a hand—but as he got close, the pyrotechnic ignited, hitting him in the face.

http://www.health.com/home/fireworks-safety-tips
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:07:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

My neighbors' kids have been shooting off fireworks all week.  Last night, I didn't see an adult anywhere in sight.  A tragedy waiting to happen. 

Offline skeeter

One of the blessings I count ever year is that I was raised in more interesting, albeit less safe times.