Author Topic: Trump pressed aides about Venezuela invasion, official tells AP  (Read 490 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump pressed aides about Venezuela invasion, official tells AP
When asked about the report, a National Security Council spokesman said the U.S. will consider all options to help restore Venezuela's democracy.
by Associated Press / Jul.04.2018 / 4:35 AM ET / Updated 4:38 AM ET

BOGOTA, Colombia — As a meeting last August in the Oval Office to discuss sanctions on Venezuela was concluding, President Donald Trump turned to his top aides and asked an unsettling question: With a fast unraveling Venezuela threatening regional security, why can't the U.S. just simply invade the troubled country?

The suggestion stunned those present at the meeting, including Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and national security adviser H.R. McMaster, both of whom have since left the administration. This account of the previously undisclosed conversation comes from a senior administration official familiar with what was said.

In an exchange that lasted around five minutes, McMaster and others took turns explaining to Trump how military action could backfire and risk losing hard-won support among Latin American governments to punish President Nicolas Maduro for taking Venezuela down the path of dictatorship, according to the official. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussions.

Read more at: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/trump-pressed-aides-about-venezuela-invasion-official-tells-ap-n888816

I'm glad we didn't....if this story is true. I'd say it probably is. Should the anonymous official have disclosed this? Probably not. Discussed almost a year if it occurred.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump pressed aides about Venezuela invasion, official tells AP
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:46 pm »
A) Unnamed sources are MSM lies.
B) A President asking real questions like this is what they are supposed to be doing.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:51:49 pm »
Heh.

Sounds like a good idea to me -- a more worthy goal for our military commitment than, say, Afghanistan or Iraq.

I propose that we:
1. Invade Venezuela
2. Kill as many of their military as possible -- should be a relatively easy job and the people will probably love us for doing so.
3. Send Maduro back to driving a bus -- in Indonesia
4. Rebuild the oil industry and restore it to its proper owners.
5. Build "repatriation camps" and transfer all the captured border-crossers down there, pending return to their countries-of-origin.

How's that?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 11:14:20 pm »
I heard that much beloved John F. Kennedy, anti-communist US  el Presidente, once considered invading Cuba, if you could even believe that !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln