Author Topic: Annapolis mayor: Trump declines request to lower US flags after Capital Gazette shootings  (Read 758 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Annapolis mayor: Trump declines request to lower US flags after Capital Gazette shootings
By Justin Wise - 07/02/18 05:33 PM EDT

President Trump denied a request to lower American flags in honor of the five victims of a deadly shooting at the Capital Gazette newspaper last week, according to Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley, who made the request.

“Obviously, I’m disappointed, you know? … Is there a cutoff for tragedy?” Buckley told the Baltimore Sun of his request, which it said was made through Maryland's congressional delegation.

“This was an attack on the press. It was an attack on freedom of speech. It’s just as important as any other tragedy,” Buckley said.

He also said he was not lowering U.S. flags in Annapolis given the administration's decision, since he did not want doing so to "polarize people."

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/395253-trump-denies-request-to-lower-us-flags-to-honor-capital-gazette-shooting-victims
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Thank you, President Trump.    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline dfwgator

It seems like lately the flag is lowered if somebody gets a paper cut.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Good move.  Sorry they died but not worthy of the honor.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Good move.  Sorry they died but not worthy of the honor.

Ditto.

Offline mountaineer

It seems like lately the flag is lowered if somebody gets a paper cut.
Seems like it. Apparently,  the president is aware of the rules governing the lowering of flags.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Concerned

Looks like the President changed his mind:

President Trump backpedaled on Tuesday and honored a request to lower the nation’s flags to half-staff in honor of the five people killed last week at an Annapolis newspaper.

The announcement comes on the heels of reports that Trump initially declined a request from the Maryland city’s mayor to lower flags following the tragedy at the offices of the Capital Gazette.......................

The Trump administration made an abrupt about-face Tuesday morning and issued a proclamation ordering American flags lowered for the remainder of the day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-trump-flag-07032018-story.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline mountaineer

Most people seem completely ignorant of just how rare it should be to lower flags. A young man from D.C. who attended the college at which Mr. M worked got killed while back home (drive-by gang- or drug-related shooting), and the idiot president of the college ordered the flags lowered in his honor. My husband tried to tell him that a college president lacks authority to order the U.S. flag lowered (least of all for a dead gangbanger), to no avail.   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory.
Seems to me that the Half Staff fever really started its soar with Barry, and now every time there is a mass shooting we have to lower the flag. My question is, if this is the case why isn't the flag perpetually at half mast for Chicago alone?

Offline WingNot

Seems to me that the Half Staff fever really started its soar with Barry, and now every time there is a mass shooting we have to lower the flag. My question is, if this is the case why isn't the flag perpetually at half mast for Chicago alone?

Amen.

Wonder if they do it for Songbird when he passes tomorrow.