Author Topic: Trump orders flags to be flown at half-staff to honor Capital Gazette shooting victims  (Read 1124 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump orders flags to be flown at half-staff to honor Capital Gazette shooting victims

By POLITICO STAFF

07/03/2018 09:14 AM EDT

President Donald Trump on Tuesday ordered that flags be flown at half-staff to honor the five victims of the Capital Gazette newspaper shooting in Annapolis last week.

“Our Nation shares the sorrow of those affected by the shooting at the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland,” the president wrote, according to a White House statement. “Americans across the country are united in calling upon God to be with the victims and to bring aid and comfort to their families and friends.”

The flags will fly at half-staff at the White House, federal buildings, military posts and elsewhere until sunset Tuesday.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/03/trump-flags-half-staff-capital-gazette-692405
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So Trump will cave to pressure from the Mobs and Leftists.

Trivializing what once was reserved for significant persons in military and public servants.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So Trump will cave to pressure from the Mobs and Leftists.

Trivializing what once was reserved for significant persons in military and public servants.

If this is what he decides to cave on, I'm ok with it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
If this is what he decides to cave on, I'm ok with it.

If he will cave here, where else of more importance will he also cave?

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

That's not how it works, Invar.  It's not a binary choice, and it makes me wonder why you would reduce it to such?

Oceander

That's not how it works, Invar.  It's not a binary choice, and it makes me wonder why you would reduce it to such?

He didn’t paint it as a binary choice, and he asked a perfectly legitimate question. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Did you ever hear the proverb that if you are faithful in little, you will be faithful in much?

And that if you are unfaithful in the little things you will likewise be unfaithful in the big things?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Did you ever hear the proverb that if you are faithful in little, you will be faithful in much?

And that if you are unfaithful in the little things you will likewise be unfaithful in the big things?

Yep, but it doesn't work that way in life. 

Offline aligncare

He didn’t paint it as a binary choice, and he asked a perfectly legitimate question.

Yeah, because the world is only black and white, good and evil.

Do good and evil exist? Sure. Does everything, every choice, every decision, every action align one to either good or evil? No. Because most of life requires discernment and something’s are just plain mundane and inconsequential to legitimate matters of consequence.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

What's the big deal here? Why are you so upset about this?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Yep, but it doesn't work that way in life.

Really?  That's funny - because I just paraphrased Jesus in Luke 16:10.  I guess God doesn't realize that His Own Word doesn't work in real life.

And maybe that is true, considering that we have become so backwards and wicked that God's way no longer works in this country.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What's the big deal here? Why are you so upset about this?

Not upset.  Asking a simple question.

It goes to the man's character, which I know no longer matters to most in this country.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Not upset.  Asking a simple question.

It goes to the man's character, which I know no longer matters to most in this country.

What does flying flags at half staff r not have to do with his character?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Really?  That's funny - because I just paraphrased Jesus in Luke 16:10.  I guess God doesn't realize that His Own Word doesn't work in real life.

And maybe that is true, considering that we have become so backwards and wicked that God's way no longer works in this country.

Really, Invar?  You want to tell me that, oh I dunno, Patton, Churchill, Eisenhower, Gandhi, St. Paul, Ronald Reagan, and whomever else you want to throw into the mix, never made concessions,  never did the wrong thing, never had errors of judgement?  And, were in the whole, decent, upstanding people who overall did good in this world?  Your argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What does flying flags at half staff r not have to do with his character?

Trump originally refused the request on grounds that a workplace shooting does not rise to the level of national mourning.

Suddenly after one day - apparently it does.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Really, Invar?  You want to tell me that, oh I dunno, Patton, Churchill, Eisenhower, Gandhi, St. Paul, Ronald Reagan, and whomever else you want to throw into the mix, never made concessions,  never did the wrong thing, never had errors of judgement?  And, were in the whole, decent, upstanding people who overall did good in this world?  Your argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

You are welcome to tell Jesus that His Word in Luke 16:10 is bullshit and doesn't apply or work in the real world we live in.

I'm not that brave, notwithstanding the fact I agree with His statement.  Faithful in little means you are faithful in much and vice versa.

If you cannot be trusted with the small things, how can one trust you with big things?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
#Nevertrump obsession on clear display
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You are welcome to tell Jesus that His Word in Luke 16:10 is bullshit and doesn't apply or work in the real world we live in.

I'm not that brave, notwithstanding the fact I agree with His statement.  Faithful in little means you are faithful in much and vice versa.

If you cannot be trusted with the small things, how can one trust you with big things?

Tell you what - I'll let you tell Jesus whatever it is you have decided my argument is. 

And, you didn't answer the question.  What person is it who has been faithful in all, small things?  I believe there's only been one.  So, by your measure, you can trust no one, until the Second Coming. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Tell you what - I'll let you tell Jesus whatever it is you have decided my argument is. 

And, you didn't answer the question.  What person is it who has been faithful in all, small things?  I believe there's only been one.  So, by your measure, you can trust no one, until the Second Coming.

If you cannot be trusted with something small, why should anyone trust you with the big things?  If one cannot manage his own household, why should they be trusted to manage a nation?

I do not subscribe to the current belief that because we are imperfect, that we are supposed to throw out moral attributes God Himself asserts are noble.

Why is this character attribute suddenly such a pariah these days?  Oh that's right - principles and morals are a liability and a bane on where we have arrived as a culture.

And yet some of you wonder aloud why we have a wicked, corrupt and criminal class ruling us from government.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If you cannot be trusted with something small, why should anyone trust you with the big things?  If one cannot manage his own household, why should they be trusted to manage a nation?

I do not subscribe to the current belief that because we are imperfect, that we are supposed to throw out moral attributes God Himself asserts are noble.

Why is this character attribute suddenly such a pariah these days?  Oh that's right - principles and morals are a liability and a bane on where we have arrived as a culture.

And yet some of you wonder aloud why we have a wicked, corrupt and criminal class ruling us from government.

And, still you avoid answering the question.  Who, @INVAR?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
And, still you avoid answering the question.  Who, @INVAR?

I don't buy or subscribe to your premise that because we are not perfect we should not judge a person's character based on their faithfulness to the small things, so the question is moot AFAIC.

If they are not faithful in the small things, I do not trust them with the big things.  Jesus Himself said this in reference to a person's character.  I'll take His Word for it rather than the wisdom of men.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
#Nevertrump obsession on clear display

Reading that Kurt Schlicter column...who else but @INVAR came to mind?   THIS is why.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Reading that Kurt Schlicter column...who else but @INVAR came to mind?   THIS is why.

That's okay - I lump you right in with the Godles Marxists who view foundational principles with as much hostility and contempt as you do, and whom also sing hosannahs to men they see as their anointed rulers.