Author Topic: BREAKING: Cleveland FBI says it thwarted downtown Fourth of July terrorist attack  (Read 641 times)

Online mountaineer

Cleveland FBI says it thwarted downtown Fourth of July terrorist attack
Updated 7:54 AM; Posted 6:57 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Federal law enforcement officials are expected to announce the arrest of a person suspected of planning a Fourth of July terrorist attack in downtown Cleveland.

The FBI released a brief statement early Monday saying it will hold a press conference at 9:15 a.m. at the FBI headquarters on Lakeside Avenue in Cleveland. The person is charged with attempted material support of a foreign terrorist organization.  ... More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

I'm trying to get more information from the live feed of the press conference, but these guys are very low talkers. All I heard is that he's a US citizen who wanted to join a foreign terror organization.

Online mountaineer

Reporter posts, in reverse order:

Pitts is a United States citizen.
Darcie Loreno 5 minutes ago

Anthony: Throughout the investigation, he repeatedly said he wanted to be a part of a foreign terrorist organization, specifically Al Qaeda.
Darcie Loreno 7 minutes ago

Cleveland Chief Calvin Williams still urges the public: “if you see something, say something.”
Darcie Loreno 10 minutes ago

Herdman: He wanted to target people watching fireworks and watching the Fourth of July parade downtown.
Darcie Loreno 11 minutes ago

The suspect said he didn’t care about injuries and “had no regrets.”
Darcie Loreno 11 minutes ago

Herdman: Last week, the suspect was walking around downtown Cleveland conducting reconnaissance on what he thought was a large-scale attack. He planned to use a van packed with explosives and taking places like St. John’s Cathedral “off the map.”
Darcie Loreno 12 minutes ago

He could face 20 years in prison.
Darcie Loreno 12 minutes ago

U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman: Pitts has been charged in federal court and will appear in court today.
Darcie Loreno 15 minutes ago

A final meeting happened yesterday morning where the undercover agent and Pitts had a lengthy conversation — Pitts indicated his desire to participate in a terrorist attack on July, and his desire to kill military members and others.
Darcie Loreno 16 minutes ago

He’s then accused of surveilling landmarks including Voinovich Park.
Darcie Loreno 16 minutes ago

Anthony: The suspect eventually moved to Cleveland. And just last week with a meeting with an undercover agent, Pitts asked: “What would hit them in their core? Blow up at the Fourth of July parade.”
Darcie Loreno 18 minutes ago

The FBI in 2017 learned he made statements supporting Al Qaeda and of violent intentions when he lived in the Cincinnati area.
Darcie Loreno 19 minutes ago

Stephen Anthony, FBI Special Agent in Charge for CLE FBI: Demetrius Pitts, aka Abdur Raheem Rahfeeq, was arrested yesterday by the joint terrorism task force.

FOX 8 Cleveland

Offline Suppressed

Suspect:

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Good!  Most of the FBI is composed of good, hard working people but the people populating the 7th floor of the FBI building in Washington have given the entire organization a bad name!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

Good!  Most of the FBI is composed of good, hard working people but the people populating the 7th floor of the FBI building in Washington have given the entire organization a bad name!

Agree completely.

Thank the Lord they stopped this.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sounds a bit like one of those sting operations and how else? Are they going to find these people except play along and baiting them?

Offline Applewood

This is why I don't want so-called "refugees" in this country.  We have enough ISIS  wannabes right here in the US.

Online mountaineer

This guy is a convicted felon. I haven't heard whether he was "radicalized" (converted) in prison.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Jeff Sessions and Chris Wray decided to finally get some positive PR, and to go get one of those they have had on their "radar."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
That's my neck of the woods.  What an a-hole.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, I hope they took out a real threat and not just some sting strung along half-wit they can pull out of the hat for good press when the agency gets a black eye.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

... Court documents say the FBI began paying attention to Pitts in 2015 when he sent a disturbing message to a local TV news program with a Facebook account registered under his alias, Abdur Raheem Rahfeeq.

After more alarming Facebook comments in 2017, the FBI took a closer look and determined that Pitts was interested in joining al Qaeda, training overseas and returning to the U.S. to stage an attack, the complaint said.

An undercover FBI employee met with Pitts and began recording their conversations, in which he fantasized about beheading President Donald Trump, attacking U.S. soldiers, and sowing terror in Cleveland on Independence Day.

"I'm trying to figure out something that would shake them up on the 4th of July," he said in one recording.

An FBI informant provided Pitts with a bus pass so he could get to downtown Cleveland to take photos of bombing targets. He allegedly pledged allegiance to terrorist leaders in videos made with a cellphone — which was also provided by the FBI. His passcode for the phone wasn't exactly a stumper: 0704, the date of the supposed attack.  ...
More at NBC News