Author Topic: Comparing Border Children To U.S. Foster Kids Proves The Outrage Is Disgustingly Selective  (Read 204 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Comparing Border Children To U.S. Foster Kids Proves The Outrage Is Disgustingly Selective
The Federalist, Jul 2, 2018, Donna Carol Voss

A civilized and decent society protects the vulnerable, and nothing is more vulnerable than a young child. All hurting children deserve our compassion and, if necessary, righteous anger. All children. Why, then, do we anguish over migrant children separated from their parents at the border, but ignore the plight of American children in foster care?

In 2016, there were 437,465 children in foster care in the U.S., 155,632 of whom were under the age of five. Each and every one was forcibly separated from a parent or parents, but there were no television cameras there to capture the tears. That doesn’t mean they weren’t there. I know because my husband and I adopted three children from foster care fourteen years ago.

They’ve only talked about it once, but the day they were “tooken” away from their birth parents was the worst day of their lives. They were seven, five, and 8 months at the time. The older two were playing outside when the police cruiser pulled into their apartment complex, and they thought, cool, like young children would. Then two police officers and a social worker came to their door and changed their lives forever. It’s a scene that plays itself out over and over and over every day throughout this country.

What happens to kids in the foster care system? They sure don’t get the attention migrant kids do. We all know what happens to migrant children who are separated from their parents.

More:  http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/02/why-do-we-care-more-about-migrant-children-than-american-children-in-foster-care/