Author Topic: Google Is Building a City of the Future in Toronto. Would Anyone Want to Live There?  (Read 755 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

TORONTO—Even with a chilly mid-May breeze blowing off Lake Ontario, this city’s western waterfront approaches idyllic. The lake laps up against the boardwalk, people sit in colorful Adirondack chairs and footfalls of pedestrians compete with the cry of gulls. But walk east, and the scene quickly changes. Cut off from gleaming downtown Toronto by the Gardiner Expressway, the city trails off into a dusty landscape of rock-strewn parking lots and heaps of construction materials. Toronto’s eastern waterfront is bleak enough that Guillermo del Toro’s gothic film The Shape of Water used it as a plausible stand-in for Baltimore circa 1962. Says Adam Vaughan, a former journalist who represents this district in Canada’s Parliament, “It’s this weird industrial land that’s just been sitting there—acres and acres of it. And no one’s really known what to do with it.”

That was before Google...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/29/google-city-technology-toronto-canada-218841
The Republic is lost.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
That illustration looks like it was "borrowed" from one of the versions of SimCity.
Let it burn.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'd rather live in a lego block home with no carpeting.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

I'd rather live in a lego block home with no carpeting.

Technically, 'no carpeting' is better where legos are concerned...
Then when you are going to the fridge in the middle of the night, you can scooch your feet along... the legos skitter out of the way, and all you wind up with are slivers.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I meant with the floor being the lego blocks!  ouch ouch ouch damnit 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

I meant with the floor being the lego blocks!  ouch ouch ouch damnit

LOL! I know what you meant.... I was just expressing the thought.
And I will take Matchbox cars any day over Legos, btw...