Author Topic: 2 Transgender Veterans Find Courage — And Sisterhood — Off The Battlefield  (Read 697 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
2 Transgender Veterans Find Courage — And Sisterhood — Off The Battlefield
Liyna Anwar Emma Bowman Twitter

Mia Warren/StoryCorps

StoryCorps' Military Voices Initiative records stories from members of the U.S. military and their families.

Sue McConnell and Kristyn Weed both entered the military in the 1970s. But they also share another kind of sisterhood.

When McConnell, 65, and Weed, 64, came out to their respective families as transgender, they both say they weren't accepted. In a recent StoryCorps conversation, the two veterans talk about how they found support through one another.

McConnell, a Navy veteran, says she was about 50 years old when she started transitioning to a woman. "My son disowned me," she says. "He told his mother that he didn't want anything to do with 'the f****** freak.' So I don't get to talk to my grandson or my granddaughter."

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2018/06/30/623871694/2-transgender-veterans-find-courage-and-sisterhood-off-the-battlefield

Offline RoosGirl

I made the mistake of looking and now you all must suffer with me.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
More fatigue...so tired of this bullshit.  STFU and get on with your lives as freaks whose lives are only determined by your preferences.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline aligncare

NPR. Expect anything else?

rangerrebew

They are among the ugliest wo - er - humans I've ever seen.  They look like Helen Thomas may have been their mother. :baghead:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
They are probably use to hearing those kinds of remarks, as long as they don't bother one personally, I'd leave them alone.

I wonder if anyone has seen these kinds in person. There's a man(?), and really, about 6'4" in town I've seen two times in stores who seems to dress like these people, I just go on about my business. Something in their make up.