Author Topic: ‘I snookered them’: Illinois Nazi candidate creates GOP dumpster fire  (Read 638 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/29/arthur-jones-nazi-illinois-republicans-686875

CHICAGO — Illinois Republicans botched four opportunities to stop an avowed Nazi from representing their party in a Chicago-area congressional district. Now they’re paying the price.

Arthur Jones, a Holocaust denier who will appear on the November ballot as the GOP candidate against Democratic Rep. Dan Lipinski, has become campaign fodder for Democrats as they seek to defeat Gov. Bruce Rauner. And some Republicans even fear the taint from Jones‘ extremist views poses a threat to the party up and down the ticket.

“First, it’s morally wrong and I think it’s really harmful to the party. The guy’s a complete nutcase. He’s a Nazi,” said conservative GOP state Rep. David McSweeney. “This is an absolute political disaster.”

McSweeney’s comments come just days after the filing deadline passed for qualifying a third-party candidate for the general election — which could have provided a safe harbor for Illinois Republican votes. Prior to that, the party had also failed to recruit a candidate to challenge Jones in the primary election, failed to knock him off the primary ballot and wasn’t able to field a write-in candidate against him in the primary.

<snip>
In the meantime, Republicans have one last chance to save face. They can mount a write-in challenge if that candidate notifies three counties in the district of their intent by Sept. 6.

“They didn’t run anyone against him in the primary. They didn’t file an objection to him, they didn’t find a write-in candidate and they didn’t run an independent candidate,” McSweeney said. “We’ve missed four opportunities. We better not miss the fifth.”

More at link

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1012784418304471041

Ted Cruz @tedcruz

This is horrific. An avowed Nazi running for Congress. To the good people of Illinois, you have two reasonable choices:  write in another candidate, or vote for the Democrat. This bigoted fool should receive ZERO votes.

12:46 PM - 29 Jun 2018

I wish my President was tweeting this, but we all know how careful and deliberate President Trump is on social media
https://www.factcheck.org/2016/03/trumps-david-duke-amnesia/

Duke ran for governor of Louisiana in 1991 as a Republican, and Trump said at the time that President George H.W. Bush was right “to come out against” Duke’s campaign. Duke lost but he won a majority of the white vote — which Trump found troubling. “I hate seeing what it represents,” Trump said, referring to what he called the “anger vote.”

Offline Frank Cannon

Who gives a Rats ass. IL's 3rd district has been Rat since Nixon was President. Why Cruz is sticking his nose in an out of state  district that will never be a GOP pick up in the first place is beyond me.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Who gives a Rats ass. IL's 3rd district has been Rat since Nixon was President. Why Cruz is sticking his nose in an out of state  district that will never be a GOP pick up in the first place is beyond me.

That's a good point.  In fact I'd put the chances of Jones winning below where I put Donald Trump's chance to win the nomination and Presidency 3 years ago.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It matters because Illinois GOP stepped in it massively by letting this bigoted clown get this far and whether he wins or not the Dems at every level will use this one instance to paint all Republican with the racist brush.

Anyone who cares about keeping the GOP in the majority should be keeping up with stuff like this.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Literally no one else wanted the job. What are they going to do? Call Alan Keyes back in?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

Literally no one else wanted the job. What are they going to do? Call Alan Keyes back in?

Better not to run anyone than to run trash like this.