Author Topic: A long-duration heat wave is beginning in Washington when it will frequently feel as if it’s 100  (Read 14755 times)

Offline jpsb

So @jpsb, @Fantom and I share with you that we have all been in the Masonry industry at one time.
   Loved the sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, unlike being a Coder the rest of my Life.

I got a great deal of satisfaction out of writing good tight code that got the job done and done well.
But is fun to drive around Texas City, League City and Bacliff and see the building I built/helped to build.

Online corbe

I got a great deal of satisfaction out of writing good tight code that got the job done and done well.
But is fun to drive around Texas City, League City and Bacliff and see the building I built/helped to build.

We had a national contract for about 20 Stop an Robs in Houston did a few homes in the Heights and Roman Forest.   Good times indeed, was never healthier.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:25:02 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

I just moved to North Dallas in 79 near the TI campus. 

I'm aware of your story. It was very interesting.....

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'm aware of your story. It was very interesting.....

I worked with Cliff Harris brother back then. Had a chance to play basketball with him and Staubach and a few other guys. That movie was pretty true for the NFL in general.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline libertybele

It's a few degrees hotter than usual here in FL as well.  I don't think it's a newsflash that it's summer and it can get hot.  Good grief!!  Damn these weather cycles!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33

How are you feeling these days?  PM me if you'd rather.
@CatherineofAragon

I'll regular email in about 30-40 min.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

This wasn't some of your work, was it?

Offline jpsb

This wasn't some of your work, was it?

LOL, nope, what an ugly building

Online corbe

Looks like they used dirt instead of sand or one of the Bricklayers was to hung over to get more Lime.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

I worked with Cliff Harris brother back then. Had a chance to play basketball with him and Staubach and a few other guys. That movie was pretty true for the NFL in general.

That you?

Online roamer_1

Looks like they used dirt instead of sand or one of the Bricklayers was to hung over to get more Lime.

Honest to God, we had a guy out here stacking up cinder blocks with no mortar... stuccoed over, and no one caught it. All that was holding them together was the wire mesh for the stucco. Twenty homes made it about 5 years, and by then he was long gone.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
So I bought a personal "mister" that you hook up to a hose. Wow, these things rock! Easy way to beat the heat.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

In the mid 1970s, the Lewis Family (the owners and operators of catalogue company BEST Products) hired Sculpture In The Environment (SITE) to create a series of facades for nine showrooms across the US. Regardless of the project’s relative financial benefits, the clients gave SITE the one thing all designers crave and fear: full creative reign.

https://failedarchitecture.com/the-ironic-loss-of-the-postmodern-best-store-facades/

I shopped at the Best store in the first pic.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline raml

We here in southern Missouri have had these temps most of June and the next 10 days says more of the same so get a grip a week won't kill you I am surviving and I hate the heat I am a fall winter type of gal. When I moved here it was not like this it was more of a normal cycle with a nice spring but for the last 5 years the heat starts in May and June and doesn't quit till the end of October my A/C runs all the time but you also have to have fans running to be comfortable in the heat of the day. My electric bills almost make me cry.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:26:04 pm by raml »

Offline jpsb

Honest to God, we had a guy out here stacking up cinder blocks with no mortar... stuccoed over, and no one caught it. All that was holding them together was the wire mesh for the stucco. Twenty homes made it about 5 years, and by then he was long gone.

Years ago there was a product called Surewall and that is exactly how it was used. I hated the stuff
and considered it an insult to my trade. But it did work and all of the buildings I built with it are
still standing some 40 years later.

The blocks had male and female ends so they interlocked and you used little plastic wedges to
keep the blocks level. The "stucco" was white Portland/white sand with lots of fiberglass fibers in it.
Not sure if they still make it.

Yup they still do https://www.hunker.com/13414507/surewall-directions
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:49:54 pm by jpsb »

Offline mountaineer

@raml, I have to admit it's nice not to live in St. Louis anymore. The heat and humidity there can be brutal, but you're right - it can be survived! This, too, shall pass.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

So I bought a personal "mister" that you hook up to a hose. Wow, these things rock! Easy way to beat the heat.

I knew a girl in college with a personal "mister". Called him BOB and kept him in the bedstand bottom drawer.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Prediction here today is 101 feels like 104. Woohoo! Summertime baby!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

Years ago there was a product called Surewall and that is exactly how it was used. I hated the stuff
and considered it an insult to my trade. But it did work and all of the buildings I built with it are
still standing some 40 years later.

@jpsb
I don't get the percentage. I mean, I have hauled enough hod in my life to have earned my trowel by right (though in fact I am not a mason, I surely do know how it works)...

What is the possible percentage in *not* mortaring? The cost of mortar is a relative pittance, so I guess it is about the labor, or making money on the rise w/o the wait for the mortar to dry... But the labor part of that is the hauling the cinder around part, not the mortaring... And a staggered rise around the building means you never really stop to wait on the mortar (on a decent sized job)... So what the heck is the savings?

The landscaper in me appreciates a dry stack - Properly done, and properly interlocked, it can withstand more than bricks and mortar. And that Surewall product you are talking about seems to lean on that idea (interlocking) , or incorporates it. But the beauty of a dry stack, it's ability to withstand nature, is found in the fact that it is NOT rigid. It can move and settle, and the interlocking keeps it in relative shape - The most magnificent example of that being the ancient cyclopean style of the megalithic era.

But if you coat the thing in stucco, it becomes rigid, and that capacity is lost. Makes no sense to me.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline jpsb

@jpsb
 Makes no sense to me.

It made no sense  to me  either, but I got paid (well) so I built the buildings.

Silver Pines

We here in southern Missouri have had these temps most of June and the next 10 days says more of the same so get a grip a week won't kill you I am surviving and I hate the heat I am a fall winter type of gal. When I moved here it was not like this it was more of a normal cycle with a nice spring but for the last 5 years the heat starts in May and June and doesn't quit till the end of October my A/C runs all the time but you also have to have fans running to be comfortable in the heat of the day. My electric bills almost make me cry.

@raml

Yeah, Virginia summers are hot and humid so it's a lot more than a week.