Author Topic: Will McCain resign to give McConnell an extra vote on Trump’s SCOTUS nominee?  (Read 994 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Will McCain resign to give McConnell an extra vote on Trump’s SCOTUS nominee?

AllahpunditPosted at 11:21 am on June 28, 2018

I have no news story to link to here. To the contrary, I haven’t seen this question asked once in the flood of coverage since Kennedy’s announcement yesterday. So let’s ask it.

With McCain out, Senate Republicans have zero margin for error on the nomination. It’s 50/49. Either Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski — or anti-Trumpers Jeff Flake and Bob Corker, both of whom are retiring — could sink the nominee if Democrats hang together. And they will, I think. The Democratic base will get so hot over this that Manchin and the rest of the red-staters will hang back to see what Republicans are doing. If Collins or anyone else makes some disapproving noises that imperil the nominee, pressure from the left on Manchin et al. to vote no and kill the nomination will be enormous. It’s easy to imagine red-state Dems supporting a nominee who’s going to be confirmed anyway on a party-line Republican vote. It’s almost unimaginable that they’d *rescue* a nominee who’s headed for defeat due to a Republican split.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/06/28/will-mccain-resign-give-mcconnell-extra-vote-trumps-scotus-nominee/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Resign? How ill informed is this dude. McLame has been dead for the last 8 months. Geez.

Online cato potatoe

He needs to be pressured into doing this.  They can send his daughter to congress for all I care.  Actually, she may be an improvement.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
There needs to be a drive to get him to resign. He can't fulfill his duties, and that vote is needed. As a military man that's always touting his military experience, he should get that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Slide Rule

It is a chance to put a slight luster on his Senate time.

Is McCain bright enough or conscious enough to recognize it.

I don't think McCain has been right since his failed presidential
bid.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Right_in_Virginia

He needs to be pressured into doing this.  They can send his daughter to congress for all I care.  Actually, she may be an improvement.

The Governor's going to send the wife to Washington.

And, no, McCain will not resign, he wants to die a sitting Senator.  I'm guessing the funeral arrangements are more elaborate this way.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
McCain is too full of himself to do the right thing. 
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline jpsb

McCain is too full of himself to do the right thing.

Yup and he doesn't mind in the slightest that he is cheating the people of Az out of their
representation in the Senate. I certainly hope the people of Az are paying attention. No more
McCains!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
McCain would cut off his own nose to spite Trump in any way he possibly can. Hell NO! McCain isn't going to willingly do anything that may help the Republican Party or Trump, no matter what the cost to America. He wants to die a hateful, spiteful, angry old man, cursing shaking his fist all the way to hell.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

McCain absolutely hates Trump, so my answer to this question is "No."  He's been giving the finger to AZ conservatives since he was first elected Senator.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

McCain absolutely hates Trump, so my answer to this question is "No."  He's been giving the finger to AZ conservatives since he was first elected Senator.
An they kept re-electing him and mumbling it was an accident...they walked into a door.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
An they kept re-electing him and mumbling it was an accident...they walked into a door.

Dems like him, and if they're registered Indy, they can vote for him in the Primary.  I've voted against him every chance I've had, so I accept zero blame for this fossil.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The Governor's going to send the wife to Washington.

And, no, McCain will not resign, he wants to die a sitting Senator.  I'm guessing the funeral arrangements are more elaborate this way.

I agree.  If McCain is still able to make any decisions at all, he will not resign.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
With any luck, maybe he'll 'resign' in a different way.   :shrug:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fantom

Actually, Arizona has open primaries. That means democrats kept electing this traitorous POS and Republicans held their noses to vote for the scumbag.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

I agree.  If McCain is still able to make any decisions at all, he will not resign.

Hard to say which body decomposes  faster , lest if lose it's grip on power...McCain or Ginsburg....
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Dems like him, and if they're registered Indy, they can vote for him in the Primary.  I've voted against him every chance I've had, so I accept zero blame for this fossil.

@Cyber Liberty
Are rats voting for McCain in the general election too?  They must be since conservatives like you didn't vote for him.  Imagine rats voting for the GOP nominee and electing him in the general...It's almost like they're Republicans, and your not.  It's too bad the people of AZ didn't have the power to change their election laws for the last 32 years of McCain's Senate career.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty
Are rats voting for McCain in the general election too?  They must be since conservatives like you didn't vote for him.  Imagine rats voting for the GOP nominee and electing him in the general...It's almost like they're Republicans, and your not.  It's too bad the people of AZ didn't have the power to change their election laws for the last 32 years of McCain's Senate career.

I would assume so, yes.  He's been better for the Dems than anybody they're ever run would be.

The politicians in AZ are as foolish as politicians are all over the country.  They are terrified the Press will rip them if they try to move back to the system where Republicans pick Republicans, and Democrats pick Democrats.  It's fashionable to be "anti-Party," and it would be just terrible if "Independents" (Democrats) were to be "disenfranchised" from the Primaries.  Making voters choose a Party would be too much effort.
I will NOT comply.