Author Topic: 2 men with 29 wives and 160 children between them sentenced to house arrest following polygamy convi  (Read 1056 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Can you imagine the nagging. His aspirin budget must be into the six figures.  But heck, technically it is biblical marriage.

Two leaders of a fundamentalist group who between them have 29 wives and 160 children were sentenced to house arrest on Tuesday after being convicted of polygamy....

...Winston Blackmore, 61, was found guilty last year of having 24 wives while James Oler, 53, was found guilty of having five wives. Blackmore has 149 kids, the Star Vancouver reported.....

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/06/28/2-men-with-29-wives-and-160-children-between-them-sentenced-to-house-arrest-following-polygamy-conviction.html

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:13:42 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline dfwgator

29 Wives = 29 Mothers-In-Law.....Yikes!

Offline RoosGirl

How in the world can polygamy be illegal?

Offline ABX

As long as no one is forced into the situation, I agree.

More and more I believe in the addage, no victim=no crime.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
And there he is in Canada, albeit, near our Northern Border with British Columbia, so a spill over?

They must be very self-sufficient for the record... and look happy from the photo there.

An apparent Mormon spin-off religion.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:25:33 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Because there are laws against it.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline endicom

"While the boys — don’t forget the “lost boys” — are driven away by self-anointed bishops, dirty old men who won’t abide the threat posed by young males."

"In that trial, last winter, Brandon Blackmore (Winston’s cousin) and his wife Emily Gail Blackmore were convicted of taking a 13-year-old girl from B.C. to Utah — removing her from Canada for sexual purposes — and witnessing the child’s marriage to Warren Jeffs, 49-year-old prophet of the Church. Jeffs already had more than 80 wives."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/07/25/sexual-abuse-going-on-under-our-noses-in-bountiful-bc-dimanno.html

Offline Night Hides Not

Give them the ability to shoot a 3 pointer, and they'd fit right in the NBA.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
In theory, polygamy is OK.

In reality, it is horrible. Men are pushed to take the youngest girls possible to keep the other men from getting them. The wives all end up on Welfare and other government assistance. Boys have to be pushed out early to keep them from taking any of the girls. Birth defects are rampant because the community can't keep up with who is who. The women are practically kept in slavery and aren't allowed to leave.

You encounter it on college campuses more frequently than anywhere because of grad students and professors from countries where it is practiced.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:04:18 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Night Hides Not

For those who think polygamy is A-OK, allow me to offer a brief dissent: Islam and the Middle East, where it's ok for cousins to marry.

I would never think of it. By the same token, I would strongly advise against marrying a woman who has a half dozen sisters. From personal experience, there's more drama than several soap operas. LOL, I love my in-laws, but you feel like you're being trapped in a Borg-like existence at times.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline RoosGirl

My comment above was more along the lines of what is the justification for polygamy being illegal when "gay" marriage is not.

Offline ABX

My comment above was more along the lines of what is the justification for polygamy being illegal when "gay" marriage is not.

Mine followed the lines that just because we think something isn't "OK" doesn't mean the government should be involved in it in the first place.

Oceander

Take it up with the courts. 

Offline RoosGirl

Oceander

Not my monkey.

Then why get all hot and bothered about it?

Offline RoosGirl

Then why get all hot and bothered about it?

Who said i was hot and bothered?  You're reading in tone that is neither implied nor intended.  It was just a comment.  Only @Frank Cannon gets me hot and bothered.

Offline Frank Cannon

Who said i was hot and bothered?  You're reading in tone that is neither implied nor intended.  It was just a comment.  Only @Frank Cannon gets me hot and bothered.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Hoodat

Because the Obergefell court ruled that certain classes have special rights that other classes don't.  All in the name of equal protection.  Obviously, some animals are more equal than others.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-