Author Topic: Gowdy On Special Counsel: ‘Finish It The Hell Up’  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Gowdy On Special Counsel: ‘Finish It The Hell Up’
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2018, 04:01:41 pm »
I could believe the flat earth theory about as readily as I'd believe that scenario.
Indeed to declare "The entire reason he chose Sessions was because the original AG offer went to Giuliani, but he wanted SoS." from "He offered it to me," Giuliani told HuffPost. "I didn't take it because I wanted to be secretary of state. I recommended Jeff as the perfect guy to do it." is exactly like flat earth.

@edpc pwned

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2018, 04:28:48 pm »
Indeed to declare "The entire reason he chose Sessions was because the original AG offer went to Giuliani, but he wanted SoS." from "He offered it to me," Giuliani told HuffPost. "I didn't take it because I wanted to be secretary of state. I recommended Jeff as the perfect guy to do it." is exactly like flat earth.

@edpc pwned

Thanks. I try to approach these issues rationally.  Otoh, I have no more bona fide insider info than anyone else who isn't in Trump's inner circle.  I'm still, for example,  mystified by the Gina Haspel pick. Even Wray made more sense on a resume basis. I'd think a person who had turned their back on government employment in favor of the private sector might have possibilities.  With Haspel you have someone who was promoted by and recommended by Brennan.  If that's not a giant red flag idk what would be.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »
Personally I cannot and will never believe that Trump took no other information into consideration. It strikes me as bizarre to even imagine that Trump had no input of his own and only one advisor in the whole world [on a decision of such magnitude]. I could believe the flat earth theory about as readily as I'd believe that scenario.

The guy he wants as AG declines, recommends 'the perfect candidate,' and you call the idea of single input far fetched?

Right....because he's never susceptible to suggestion from people close to him, like the time Kushner got Christie removed from the transition team and admin post consideration or the moments Ivanka got emotional, changing his mind on action against Syria - and family separation at the border.  Hell, he got the idea of suspending joint military exercises with S. Korea from Putin.

Yes, there are links available for that.  Do your own homework.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:39:43 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2018, 04:44:36 pm »

The guy he wants as AG declines, recommends 'the perfect candidate,' and you call the idea of single input far fetched?

Right....because he's never susceptible to suggestion from people close to him, like the time Kushner got Christie removed from the transition team and admin post consideration or the moments Ivanka got emotional, changing his mind on action against Syria - and family separation at the border.  He'll, he got the idea of suspending joint military exercises with S. Korea from Putin.

Yes, there are links available for that.  Do your own homework.

Most [if not all] of the Kushner/Ivanka smears came straight from Bannon.  That guy is a walking gossipmonger and he slimed and maligned Trump's SIL  and daughter relentlessly.  I wish Bannon all the best but his affinity for garbage gossip is toxic--nor, I note, has it worked out so well for him career-wise.

Offline edpc

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2018, 04:50:48 pm »
Most [if not all] of the Kushner/Ivanka smears came straight from Bannon.  That guy is a walking gossipmonger and he slimed and maligned Trump's SIL  and daughter relentlessly.  I wish Bannon all the best but his affinity for garbage gossip is toxic--nor, I note, has it worked out so well for him career-wise.

Don Jr told the papers about the Syria input and Sr mentioned the border advice himself.  The sources concerning Kushner are unknown and multiple, but hardly surprising stuff, given Christie prosecuted his father.

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2018, 05:02:40 pm »

@edpc pwned

@edpc ...you recognize this is sarcasm? yes?

I thought it was so obvious even the President could see it.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2018, 05:03:57 pm »

Don Jr told the papers about the Syria input and Sr mentioned the border advice himself.  The sources concerning Kushner are unknown and multiple, but hardly surprising stuff, given Christie prosecuted his father.

Don Jr said Ivanka got emotional, which changed his father's mind on action against Syria?

I'm skeptical, very skeptical.

At least the source admits Eric may only have been guessig:

“Ivanka is a mother of three kids and she has influence. I’m sure she said: ‘Listen, this is horrible stuff.’ My father will act in times like that. And by the way, he was anti doing anything with Syria two years ago. Then a leader gasses their own people, women and children. At some point America is the global leader and the world’s superpower has to come forward and act and they did with a lot of support of our allies and I think that’s a great thing.”

Is Eric simply rambling without realizing what’s really going on behind the White House scenes? That’s entirely possible'

https://uproxx.com/news/eric-ivanka-syria-president-trump/

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2018, 05:06:30 pm »

The original premise was based on a logical fallacy.  I gave you credit for perceiving that.

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2018, 05:13:07 pm »

The original premise was based on a logical fallacy.  I gave you credit for perceiving that.

You picked out the word "only" when the words "main" or "overwhelming" apply just fine, and then equated the logic with flat earth. 

Sarcasm is hard to pull off with text.  I thought this was sarcasm.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Why would Kim Jong-un insult me by calling me "old," when I would NEVER call him "short and fat?" Oh well, I try so hard to be his friend - and maybe someday that will happen!
4:48 PM - 11 Nov 2017 from Vietnam

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2018, 05:18:25 pm »

[This was supposed to be the rest of my original post.  Idk why it got cut off.]

I. e.: you cannot go from, 'I made recommendation A,' to, 'Therefore no one else had any input on the decision,  not even the one who actually made the decision.'

Anybody who believes A = B is just not thinking this through. The alternative is that the person is not very bright or is fundamentally irrational,  but I prefer the not thinking it through option.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2018, 05:22:26 pm »
You picked out the word "only" when the words "main" or "overwhelming" apply just fine, and then equated the logic with flat earth. 

Sarcasm is hard to pull off with text.  I thought this was sarcasm.

I don't pick the words. I evaluate the words as presented.

Here's the original quote:

"The entire reason he chose Sessions was because the original AG offer went to Giuliani, but he wanted SoS."

The link offered did not even come close to establishing that Giuliani's input was the sole, deciding factor. How you cannot see this for yourself is a mystery.

Offline edpc

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2018, 05:29:23 pm »

Of course.  My point in making posts is not to ‘win,’ whatever that means.  We’re all here to discuss our point of view.  Aside from the portions where I clearly gave my opinion (as I did re: Cohen), I don’t think I said anything that wasn’t substantiated by known or easily searchable content.  If, in that process, I’m viewed by some as a contrarian or NT, that’s irrelevant to me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:31:55 pm by edpc »

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2018, 05:31:12 pm »
I got your point.  Do you get mine?

"The main reason he chose Sessions was because the original AG offer went to Giuliani, but he wanted SoS."

I suppose not.

The link offered did not even come close to establishing that Giuliani's input was the sole, deciding factor. How you cannot see this for yourself is a mystery.

People see what they want to see @Fantasywriter   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:32:36 pm by Once-Ler »

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2018, 05:37:47 pm »

Of course.  My point in making posts is not to ‘win,’ whatever that means.  We’re all here to discuss our point of view.  Aside from the portions where I clearly gave my opinion (as I did re: Cohen), I don’t think I said anything that wasn’t substantiated by known or easily searchable content.  If, in that process, I’m viewed by some as a contrarian or NT, that’s irrelevant to me.

! No longer available

Ben Shapiro calls himself "Sometimes Trump"

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
I got your point.  Do you get mine?

I suppose not.

People see what they want to see @Fantasywriter

True: According to Giuliani he turned down the AG offer and recommended Sessions.

False: According to Trump this is the "main," reason he chose Sessions.

Offline edpc

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2018, 05:54:09 pm »

Don Jr said Ivanka got emotional, which changed his father's mind on action against Syria?

I'm skeptical, very skeptical.

At least the source admits Eric may only have been guessig:

“Ivanka is a mother of three kids and she has influence. I’m sure she said: ‘Listen, this is horrible stuff.’ My father will act in times like that. And by the way, he was anti doing anything with Syria two years ago. Then a leader gasses their own people, women and children. At some point America is the global leader and the world’s superpower has to come forward and act and they did with a lot of support of our allies and I think that’s a great thing.”

Is Eric simply rambling without realizing what’s really going on behind the White House scenes? That’s entirely possible'

https://uproxx.com/news/eric-ivanka-syria-president-trump/

Trump said his sister was "heartbroken and outraged" by the chemical attack, which killed dozens of people, including children.

"Ivanka is a mother of three kids and she has influence," Trump said. "I'm sure she said, 'Listen, this is horrible stuff.' My father will act in times like that."

http://www.businessinsider.com/ivanka-trump-helped-convince-her-father-to-strike-syria-eric-trump-says-2017-4

I had the wrong son.  No, he was definitive about her emotional state, which is something she tweeted herself.  I think he’s in a pretty good position to know the inner workings of the Trump family.  She later said her brother’s comments were a ‘flawed interpretation.’  She also said, just after the election, she wouldn’t have a role in the administration.  That’s certainly changed.  The Trumps seem to have a habit of saying contradictory things and rationalizing it later.  Given what we know about her public reaction, her role as advisor, her father’s previous position of non-involvement in Syria, and military action taken 48 hrs after her tweet, reasonable inferences can be made.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:56:26 pm by edpc »

Offline corbe

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2018, 06:00:22 pm »
   @Fantasywriter

Sincerely, for a Trumper you're all right and a breath of fresh air here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2018, 06:05:26 pm »

Trump said his sister was "heartbroken and outraged" by the chemical attack, which killed dozens of people, including children.

"Ivanka is a mother of three kids and she has influence," Trump said. "I'm sure she said, 'Listen, this is horrible stuff.' My father will act in times like that."

http://www.businessinsider.com/ivanka-trump-helped-convince-her-father-to-strike-syria-eric-trump-says-2017-4

I had the wrong son.  No, he was definitive about her emotional state, which is something she tweeted herself.  I think he’s in a pretty good position to know the inner workings of the Trump family.  She later said her brother’s comments were a ‘flawed interpretation.’  She also said, just after the election, she wouldn’t have a role in the administration.  That’s certainly changed.  The Trumps seem to have a habit of saying contradictory things and rationalizing it later.  Given what we know about her public reaction, her role as advisor, her father’s previous position of non-involvement in Syria, and military action taken 48 hrs after her tweet, reasonable inferences can be made.

The problem with reasonable inferences is that they're subjective.  Even Eric Trump's 'reasonable inferences,' are subjective.  In the following article Trump explains why he ordered the bombing of Syria. He makes no mention of Ivanka.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/politics/trump-syria-comments-response/index.html

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2018, 06:16:34 pm »
   @Fantasywriter

Sincerely, for a Trumper you're all right and a breath of fresh air here.

Thank you,  @corbe.  And a little off topic, but I'll take this opportunity to mention on of the things i LOVE about TBR. Namely, that I can cite the best available source without feeling as if I'm walking through a minefield.  Meaning, I can cite The Hill, Politico, CNN, HuffPo, WaPo, you name it; it's all good.

Over at TOS it wasn't like that. You had to cite a conservativesource or you'd immediately be discredited.  For example: 'Your source is Politico?? Seriously?? What are you,  a closet Leftist? A troll? Polutico [sic] publishes nothing but lies. Why give them traffic?'

I'm telling you,  that gets old fast. I LOVE the freedom and discretion to post any site with good info. Politico and The Hill in particular often acquire info unavailable elsewhere.  What a relief to be able to cite them without having the dreaded 'troll,' label thrown at me.   😁

Offline edpc

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2018, 06:20:37 pm »
In the following article Trump explains why he ordered the bombing of Syria. He makes no mention of Ivanka.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/politics/trump-syria-comments-response/index.html

Of course he didn’t.  Everyone remembers what a laughing stock Jimmy was for admitting discussing nuclear policies with Amy.

Offline edpc

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2018, 06:31:21 pm »
I LOVE the freedom and discretion to post any site with good info. Politico and The Hill in particular often acquire info unavailable elsewhere.  What a relief to be able to cite them without having the dreaded 'troll,' label thrown at me.   😁

You may hear something occasionally, if you use HuffPo or MSNBC.  However, sometimes, useful information is exclusive and it’s unavoidable.    :shrug:

Offline corbe

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2018, 06:41:16 pm »

You may hear something occasionally, if you use HuffPo or MSNBC.  However, sometimes, useful information is exclusive and it’s unavoidable.    :shrug:

The Hill is primarily my Go To for posting articles here because it is much easier to copy/paste than most.  I try and use my discretion, knowing that they lean Left, on which ones won't bring the wrath of the Review Committee down on me but regardless I have found most Briefers want 'credible' information from ANY source, just as you have ascertained in your limited time here, again @Fantasywriter Welcome to TBR.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2018, 06:49:20 pm »
The Hill is primarily my Go To for posting articles here because it is much easier to copy/paste than most.  I try and use my discretion, knowing that they lean Left, on which ones won't bring the wrath of the Review Committee down on me but regardless I have found most Briefers want 'credible' information from ANY source, just as you have ascertained in your limited time here, again @Fantasywriter Welcome to TBR.

Paywall sources can also be a problem, since you can’t get the full story.  I’ve found that copying the headline into a search engine can sometimes circumvent it.

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2018, 07:06:31 pm »

Of course he didn’t.  Everyone remembers what a laughing stock Jimmy was for admitting discussing nuclear policies with Amy.

Well speaking of Politico [as I have, at any rate]:

WHITE HOUSE

Ivanka and Jared find their limits in Trump's White House
The president's daughter and son-in-law continue to hold sway over personnel decisions, but last week's decision on transgender military service was a reminder that they have so far had little effect on his policies.

By ANNIE KARNI and ELIANA JOHNSON 07/30/2017 06:38 PM EDT

“She’s in there doing what she can,” said R. Couri Hay, a publicist and a longtime friend of the Trump family. “It’s unrealistic, unfair and cruel to expect her to change climate policy and pre-K and women’s issues in six months.”

By one measurement, last week was a good one for Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner.

President Donald Trump’s daughter and son-in-law had been double-teaming for weeks to persuade him to oust chief of staff Reince Priebus, pushing for a new chief who could “professionalize the West Wing,” according to multiple White House officials. On Friday, Trump finally announced he’d replace Priebus with John Kelly, his secretary of Homeland Security, starting Monday.

snip

But if Ivanka Trump and Kushner, socially liberal former Democratic donors, remain influential voices with Trump on personnel decisions, they have so far had little effect on his policies.

Last week they were blindsided by the president’s tweet saying he planned to ban transgender people from serving in the military, according to several White House aides, a major coup for conservatives who had been quietly lobbying the administration on the issue for months.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/30/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-241149

Offline edpc

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2018, 07:46:34 pm »
Well speaking of Politico [as I have, at any rate]:

WHITE HOUSE

Ivanka and Jared find their limits in Trump's White House
The president's daughter and son-in-law continue to hold sway over personnel decisions, but last week's decision on transgender military service was a reminder that they have so far had little effect on his policies.

By ANNIE KARNI and ELIANA JOHNSON 07/30/2017 06:38 PM EDT

“She’s in there doing what she can,” said R. Couri Hay, a publicist and a longtime friend of the Trump family. “It’s unrealistic, unfair and cruel to expect her to change climate policy and pre-K and women’s issues in six months.”

By one measurement, last week was a good one for Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner.

President Donald Trump’s daughter and son-in-law had been double-teaming for weeks to persuade him to oust chief of staff Reince Priebus, pushing for a new chief who could “professionalize the West Wing,” according to multiple White House officials. On Friday, Trump finally announced he’d replace Priebus with John Kelly, his secretary of Homeland Security, starting Monday.

snip

But if Ivanka Trump and Kushner, socially liberal former Democratic donors, remain influential voices with Trump on personnel decisions, they have so far had little effect on his policies.

Last week they were blindsided by the president’s tweet saying he planned to ban transgender people from serving in the military, according to several White House aides, a major coup for conservatives who had been quietly lobbying the administration on the issue for months.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/30/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-241149

That article is from last summer.  Before the election, Politico ran a piece about how influential she was in the Trump Organization.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/ivanka-trump-donald-trump-2016-213248

The article you posted discussed how her policy influence had waned or had become non-existent in 2017.  However, this past March, Trump spoke about how hard she was working on the $1T infrastructure plan during the Ritchfield, OH speech.  Just a couple weeks ago, she supposedly helped change his mind on the EO for families of illegals.  I guess she's back.