Author Topic: Gowdy On Special Counsel: ‘Finish It The Hell Up’  (Read 5747 times)

rangerrebew

Gowdy On Special Counsel: ‘Finish It The Hell Up’

By 1600 Staff

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) delivered a stern warning to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Fox News reports:

Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy tore into Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein on Thursday over the long-running Russia collusion probe — telling the Justice Department at a public hearing to “finish it the hell up because this country is being torn apart.” Gowdy’s excoriation marked a stunning moment at the already-tense House Judiciary Committee hearing, amid a months-long battle between congressional Republicans and the Department of Justice over its handling of both the Russia probe and Hillary Clinton email investigation.

http://1600daily.com/2018/06/28/gowdy-on-special-counsel-finish-it-the-hell-up/

rangerrebew

Re: Gowdy On Special Counsel: ‘Finish It The Hell Up’
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:35:21 am »
Christopher Wray and Rod Rosenstein both had to be rushed to emergency proctology to have their ass#s sewn up after Gowdy tore them new ones. *look*

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:30:24 pm »

The entire world on Gowdy’s beard:  ‘shave it the hell off.’

Isn't Trey the same guy who gets routinely mocked for being all talk - no action, was questioned for being compromised after the document meeting, and spent 2 years investigating Benghazi, only to produce nothing? 

But now, suddenly, he's some kind of tell it like it is badass, as he's on his way out the door.

Love Trey, love him not....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:44:56 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 02:38:10 pm »
So, let’s see, I think Mueller has been going for about 40% of the time that Gowdy’s Benghazi probe yet Mueller has almost 20 indictments or guilty pleas while Gowdy’s probe yielded zero.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 02:42:39 pm »
So, let’s see, I think Mueller has been going for about 40% of the time that Gowdy’s Benghazi probe yet Mueller has almost 20 indictments or guilty pleas while Gowdy’s probe yielded zero.

The Benghazi probe was based on an actual event where Americans were killed, not a conspiracy theory.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 02:47:26 pm »
Gowdy may be toothless most of the time, but he can have his moments when he's in his swimming pool, i.e. hearings. 'Finish it the hell up' was absolutely perfect.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 02:52:48 pm »
The Benghazi probe was based on an actual event where Americans were killed, not a conspiracy theory.

Did I miss the indictments that came out of Gowdy's 2.5 year investigation?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 02:53:12 pm »

Because supposed prostitutes peeing on a bed is a far more important issue than Americans abandoned by their government to die.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:53:56 pm by skeeter »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »
Because supposed prostitutes peeing on a bed is a far more important issue than Americans abandoned by their government to die.

That may have been the case under the Obama Administration, but I can only imagine what a "law and order" President could do once he appoints his own Attorney General and FBI Director, especially one who appoints "only the best people".   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 02:56:33 pm »
Or else what?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 02:57:03 pm »
That may have been the case under the Obama Administration, but I can only imagine what a "law and order" President could do once he appoints his own Attorney General and FBI Director, especially one who appoints "only the best people".   *****rollingeyes*****

I can't account for what happens in the fever swamps of your imagination.

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 03:06:00 pm »
'Finish it the hell up' was absolutely perfect.

That depends on what you mean.  If you're trying to appeal to a lowest common denominator bar thumper slurring "that's right!" you would be correct.  If you're someone with the slightest inkling of how the legal system works, you understand it's absurd, since a good part of the investigation centers on Manafort.  His legal team has been filing weak motion after motion in both cases, getting them dismissed, appealing them, and dragging out the process.  Also, Rosenstein has no influence on when the trials are scheduled.  One is for July and the other is September.  He cannot magically make time pass any faster than it does.  When the day arrives, he has no control over what nonsense the defense will do to drag things out during trial.  As a former prosecutor, Gowdy is well aware of this and is being a disingenuous drama queen for the sake of a sound bite.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 03:12:34 pm »
As a former prosecutor, Gowdy is well aware of this and is being a disingenuous drama queen for the sake of a sound bite.

There were plenty of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle simply looking for sound bites IMO.   

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 03:19:24 pm »
There were plenty of lawmakers on both sides of the aisle simply looking for sound bites IMO.

Of course, but this particular one is the thread subject.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »

Gowdy never had the authority to indict anyone.  That authority has always rested with DOJ, not with him.  What he could do was dig, issue subpoenas, hold hearings, and try to publicize as much of the crap that was going on as possible.  That's what he did.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 03:20:42 pm »

That depends on what you mean.  If you're trying to appeal to a lowest common denominator bar thumper slurring "that's right!" you would be correct.  If you're someone with the slightest inkling of how the legal system works, you understand it's absurd, since a good part of the investigation centers on Manafort.  His legal team has been filing weak motion after motion in both cases, getting them dismissed, appealing them, and dragging out the process.  Also, Rosenstein has no influence on when the trials are scheduled.  One is for July and the other is September.  He cannot magically make time pass any faster than it does.  When the day arrives, he has no control over what nonsense the defense will do to drag things out during trial.  As a former prosecutor, Gowdy is well aware of this and is being a disingenuous drama queen for the sake of a sound bite.

Conversely, Mueller has also been dragging this out by attempting to travel down every rat hole and constantly expanding the scope of the investigation to find something, anything, and he keeps coming up short.

He adds to that with ham sandwich indictments that have nothing to do with Russian influence over the 2016 election, that can be turned into trials so that it can look like he is winning. He keeps it up till he has something, even if it's a Scooter Libby process charge that he can peddle to the media to 'get' his oppositon.  Mueller is known for this, grasping at any straw to make his case.

Rosenstein can absolutely put the brakes on that, but has made no effort to. He can shut down Mueller at any time.  Gowdy is right - Mueller needs to quit the fishing and finish it the hell up.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:22:00 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:27 pm »
Gowdy never had the authority to indict anyone.  That authority has always rested with DOJ, not with him.  What he could do was dig, issue subpoenas, hold hearings, and try to publicize as much of the crap that was going on as possible.  That's what he did.

Of course, and I doubt if most on the Right expected the Obama Administration to issue indictments, but if Gowdy's hearings had REALLY uncovered any there, there, I would have expected that the "law and order" Administration would have issued indictments ASAP.  Frankly, I don't expect any additional indictments EVER on Benghazi regardless of who the Attorney General is.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
Christopher Wray and Rod Rosenstein both had to be rushed to emergency proctology to have their ass#s sewn up after Gowdy tore them new ones. *look*

Yeah, that was a brilliant presentation.

Gowdy must have been a really good prosecutor.

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 03:59:42 pm »
Conversely, Mueller has also been dragging this out by attempting to travel down every rat hole and constantly expanding the scope of the investigation to find something, anything, and he keeps coming up short.

The fact there have not been a ton of leaks coming from the investigators has led many to falsely believe that means there's nothing.

He adds to that with ham sandwich indictments that have nothing to do with Russian influence over the 2016 election, that can be turned into trials so that it can look like he is winning. He keeps it up till he has something, even if it's a Scooter Libby process charge that he can peddle to the media to 'get' his oppositon.  Mueller is known for this, grasping at any straw to make his case.

You may want to actually read the indictment.  The case is laid out how the individuals took action, beginning in 2014, to get involved in the election process, as foreigners masquerading as Americans.  The 'process crime' pleas are part of the deals reached with prosecutors.  There was much more they could have faced by way of charges, but they negotiated the lesser offense.

Rosenstein can absolutely put the brakes on that, but has made no effort to. He can shut down Mueller at any time.  Gowdy is right - Mueller needs to quit the fishing and finish it the hell up.

Gowdy originally said, early in Trump's term, there would be a Russia probe, even without the dossier, since that had nothing to do with campaign activities like the Trump Tower meeting and conduct by Cambridge Analytica.  At the beginning of this month, he was being called a sellout for saying the FBI had done exactly what he'd hope they'd do, given the information they'd received during 2016.  People really need to make up their minds whether Trey is this brilliant litigator or deep state compromised quisling.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 04:29:55 pm »
The fact there have not been a ton of leaks coming from the investigators has led many to falsely believe that means there's nothing.

Also doesn't mean there's something. What I do know is Mueller keeps expanding the investigation into things further and further from the central scope, which is telltale he has nothing.

You may want to actually read the indictment.  The case is laid out how the individuals took action, beginning in 2014, to get involved in the election process, as foreigners masquerading as Americans.  The 'process crime' pleas are part of the deals reached with prosecutors.  There was much more they could have faced by way of charges, but they negotiated the lesser offense.

Or, he made every crazy accusation in the book to get something far less, to 'show' he had something. That wouldn't be outside Mueller's playbook. What I also know is when he accused a Russian firm of election trolling, and the Russian firm wanted to do discovery, Mueller crawifished on supposed national  security concerns. He wanted to strong arm them with no ability to fight back, which tells me he has a weak case.

Gowdy originally said, early in Trump's term, there would be a Russia probe, even without the dossier, since that had nothing to do with campaign activities like the Trump Tower meeting and conduct by Cambridge Analytica.  At the beginning of this month, he was being called a sellout for saying the FBI had done exactly what he'd hope they'd do, given the information they'd received during 2016.  People really need to make up their minds whether Trey is this brilliant litigator or deep state compromised quisling.

And as I said, Gowdy has his moments. Others, he's wrong on.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 05:06:14 pm »
Also doesn't mean there's something. What I do know is Mueller keeps expanding the investigation into things further and further from the central scope, which is telltale he has nothing.

Such as?  There are two paths to the Mueller investigation acknowledged by the president's legal team:  Russian contact and obstruction.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »

Such as?  There are two paths to the Mueller investigation acknowledged by the president's legal team:  Russian contact and obstruction.

Except if either of those two accusations is true, then it is a matter of national security/vital national interest to act as quickly as possible because the guy in office shouldn't be there.  Particularly the Russia collusion claim.  I mean, if that were true, it essentially means that the guy in charge of our entire national security -- our commander in chief -- is a Russian agent.  And if that was true, it would be essential to reveal as quickly as possible so he can be removed from office before the country is irrevocably harmed.  And yet, nearly two years after this investigation was begun by the FBI...nothing.  That very strongly suggests to me that they have bupkis on collusion.

And in terms of the obstruction...the big claim was that the firing of Comey was obstruction, right?  Well, the dude was fired more than a year ago.  Mueller has interviews Comey himself, and all sorts of other people.  And if that firing was actually obstruction, he should have been able to bring those charges within a matter of months.  But again...nothing.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 05:53:51 pm »
Except if either of those two accusations is true, then it is a matter of national security/vital national interest to act as quickly as possible because the guy in office shouldn't be there.  Particularly the Russia collusion claim.  I mean, if that were true, it essentially means that the guy in charge of our entire national security -- our commander in chief -- is a Russian agent.  And if that was true, it would be essential to reveal as quickly as possible so he can be removed from office before the country is irrevocably harmed.  And yet, nearly two years after this investigation was begun by the FBI...nothing.  That very strongly suggests to me that they have bupkis on collusion.

And in terms of the obstruction...the big claim was that the firing of Comey was obstruction, right?  Well, the dude was fired more than a year ago.  Mueller has interviews Comey himself, and all sorts of other people.  And if that firing was actually obstruction, he should have been able to bring those charges within a matter of months.  But again...nothing.

You don't find 'collusion' or 'obstruction' mentioned in the original Rosenstein order.  If there is obstruction, it would fall under the 'other' category as part of discovery, during the investigation.  It's also not limited to the firing of Comey. 

We've already seen a reversal on the dictation of the Don Jr statement, because they knew it was problematic, if the question was ever posed under oath.  There's also the question of what communications occurred in the wake of that meeting in Trump Tower.  Providing false statements or concealing/destroying evidence about it would be obstruction.  One of the people who would have direct knowledge about it is facing decades in prison.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:55:30 pm by edpc »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »

Such as this from the uber-liberal Slate:

It’s Not Just a “Russia” Investigation Anymore
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/mueller-investigation-spreads-to-qatar-israel-uae-china-turkey.html

Mueller's investigation any foreign ties to any Trump associate, even on things that happened after Trump was elected. That is nowhere near the mission statement of the investigation.

If Mueller's there, he has nothing.
The Republic is lost.