Author Topic: Will Anthony Kennedy’s replacement really end Roe v. Wade?  (Read 19572 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Will Anthony Kennedy’s replacement really end Roe v. Wade?
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2018, 05:28:19 pm »
That’s not relevant to whether forcing a woman to reproduce is bondage.  That’s just the same as saying that Obama ruled unconstitutionally by executive order, and therefore Trump can, too.

Not exactly true, as the man and the woman are involved in the same serialized transaction.

The very same encounter leaves the woman with no consequence for the risk, and a tremendous consequence is ladled upon the man - for the very same risk.

That is not equitable, and it drives poverty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2018, 05:29:52 pm »
And California is the benchmark for all that is wise and just?

You say that like approve of the actions of my neighbor to the west...I'm just citing an example of how effed up things can get when they're followed to their logical conclusion.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2018, 05:30:35 pm »
The Constitution is silent regarding cellphones and computers, too, so they can be searched and seized without having to comply with the Fourth Amendment.

The 4th amendment is part of the Constitution councilor.  You should know that.

And don't try to tell me that the 4th amendment applies to elective abortion because It most certainly does not.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2018, 05:31:33 pm »
The Constitution is silent regarding cellphones and computers, too, so they can be searched and seized without having to comply with the Fourth Amendment.

That's a work in progress in the courts.  The law in five years will look much different.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2018, 05:32:34 pm »
So you are willing to concede that you have no right to use force if necessary to remove someone from your house, even if that person is living in your house as if it were his own, and demanding that you serve him hand and foot?   You have no right to defend home and hearth with deadly force?

Sorry I don't consider a pregnancy [planned or unplanned] a trespasser...and to dissolve that pregnancy is murder.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »
Not exactly true, as the man and the woman are involved in the same serialized transaction.

The very same encounter leaves the woman with no consequence for the risk, and a tremendous consequence is ladled upon the man - for the very same risk.

That is not equitable, and it drives poverty.

It’s still not relevant to the question of whether it’s ok for the State to force a woman to reproduce. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2018, 05:33:55 pm »
That's a work in progress in the courts.  The law in five years will look much different.

And therein lies the problem.   For a century the left has used courts to create laws they could never get passed legislatively.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2018, 05:34:16 pm »
The 4th amendment is part of the Constitution councilor.  You should know that.

And don't try to tell me that the 4th amendment applies to elective abortion because It most certainly does not.

Where in the Fourth Amendment does it mention cellphones or computers?  Better yet, where in the Fourth Amendment does it mention phone calls?

Oceander

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2018, 05:37:36 pm »
Sorry I don't consider a pregnancy [planned or unplanned] a trespasser...and to dissolve that pregnancy is murder.

Maybe you don’t, but logically there is very little difference.  If you can use a gun on someone you let into your house because now he’s threatening to live there for the next nine months and demanding that you feed him, clothe him, and serve him hand in foot, then a woman has the right to abort a baby who is doing the same to her, even if she initially “invited” the situation by having sex. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2018, 05:38:42 pm »
Where in the Fourth Amendment does it mention cellphones or computers?  Better yet, where in the Fourth Amendment does it mention phone calls?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

4th amendment, US Constitution.

Perhaps you need a refresher course in reading comprehension.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2018, 05:40:06 pm »

Have you been paying attention to recent cases?   The Supreme Court has most definitely included cellphones and computers within the ambit of the Fourth Amendment.  In fact, just last week they held that the cellphone company’s location logs for a given phone were also subject to the Fourth Amendment. 

Where is all that carping about such unmitigated judicial activism?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2018, 05:40:18 pm »
And therein lies the problem.   For a century the left has used courts to create laws they could never get passed legislatively.

Any time technology makes a major move forward, it takes a lag time to get the law up to speed on the consequences.  On the one side, ther's law enforcement wanting to take advantage of every new thing, and on the other side are the people who want to protect their rights under the Constitution and its varoius Amendments.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2018, 05:41:05 pm »
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

4th amendment, US Constitution.

Perhaps you need a refresher course in reading comprehension.

Really, would you care to underline the word “computer” the word “cellphone” and the phrase “telephone call” for me?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2018, 05:43:28 pm »
Have you been paying attention to recent cases?   The Supreme Court has most definitely included cellphones and computers within the ambit of the Fourth Amendment.  In fact, just last week they held that the cellphone company’s location logs for a given phone were also subject to the Fourth Amendment. 

Where is all that carping about such unmitigated judicial activism?

I'm not disagreeing with you.  Straightening out the ramifications of new technology is a proper function of the courts.  Otherwise, we'd be stuck with the Second Amendment only covering muskets, or the First only covering quill pens and printing presses.

ETA:  Yes, I have been paying attention to recent cases. I figured if I mentioned the cell phone one without remembering exactly what it was, you'd call me FOS.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:45:12 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2018, 05:45:37 pm »
I'm not disagreeing with you.  Straightening out the ramifications of new technology is a proper function of the courts.  Otherwise, we'd be stuck with the Second Amendment only covering muskets, or the First only covering quill pens and printing presses.

But that requires the courts to interpret the Constitution, and to expand it, or not, to fit new circumstances.  However, that is what is derided here as judicial activism, which is supposedly judicial tyranny.   One cannot have it both ways. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2018, 05:51:07 pm »
But that requires the courts to interpret the Constitution, and to expand it, or not, to fit new circumstances.  However, that is what is derided here as judicial activism, which is supposedly judicial tyranny.   One cannot have it both ways.

There's interpreting in light of the obvious developments in technology, then there's interpreting in light of the current social fads.  My example of accommodating current technology is an example of the former, and "discovering" a Federal right to abortion is an example of the latter.

I choose not to conflate those two ideas.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2018, 05:58:20 pm »
No, you’re trying to dodge the issue.  Do we sanction, or excuse, killing?  All the time.  Killing is not the same as murder.  You’re using the word “murder” the same way liberals use the word “racism”: to shut down a discussion you can’t win.

Nope.  I used murder to mean murder.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2018, 05:58:46 pm »
'''But the day WILL come when women are able to avoid or address unwanted pregnancies without the need for abortion....

Do you not believe that women today ARE able to do that?  Do you understand that FREE contraception is available for those that can not afford it?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2018, 05:59:21 pm »
Really?  To sleep in your bed, eat your food, and have you cater to his every whim?   Permanently?

"cater to his every whim"?  Oh, my.  Hyperventilate and move the goal posts at the same time.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2018, 05:59:23 pm »
Really, would you care to underline the word “computer” the word “cellphone” and the phrase “telephone call” for me?

How about we just try the word "effects".

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2018, 05:59:30 pm »
Please do explain how Roe v Wade is the sole and sufficient cause of all that.

I did not say it was sole and sufficient. No-fault divorce figures into it too. As does drug use. But all of that is part and parcel of the frat party started in the 60's, where the sanctity of marriage was rejected by the secular state, abortion law made babies 'fetuses', thus reducing the value of life to a pittance, and women's liberation subjected millions of women to a life of poverty and the stress of single parenthood.

The second generation drove crime and drug use, and youthful machismo replaced measured manhood, further lessening the value of life and the value of women - Because poverty stricken and uneducated boys had no strong hand to keep them at bay during teenage rebellion, and poverty stricken teenage girls sought out the security of a father in the arms of those addle-headed boys. And so it goes.

In a word, rejection of a lifestyle that has sustained man for eons has nearly sealed our doom. The party is long over, the house is destroyed, there are hungover participants laying all over the place in pools of their own vomit.

And Dad will be home any minute.

What we have become is unsustainable.
Liberty has responsibilities.
Freedom has consequences.

Oceander

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
There's interpreting in light of the obvious developments in technology, then there's interpreting in light of the current social fads.  My example of accommodating current technology is an example of the former, and "discovering" a Federal right to abortion is an example of the latter.

I choose not to conflate those two ideas.

It is no more far-fetched than the Court’s eventual conclusion that the Fourth Amendment protects people, not places, and that what matters is whether there was a reasonable expectation of privacy in the thing searched or the thing seized. 

In point of fact, the cases that give protection to phone calls require quite a stretch, not dissimilar to Roe v Wade, because those cases found a reasonable expectation of privacy even though the phone calls were made over equipment that belonged to an independent third party that had no obligation - such as that of an attorney or other fiduciary - to maintain the privacy of those calls. 

The Fourth has been expanded well beyond its original contours, in ways, and on theories, that are substantially similar to many cases that get sniffed at here as “judicial activism.”

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2018, 06:00:43 pm »
Yeah, because before Roe v Wade all men were perfect gentlemen who never, not once, ever thought of having sex outside the bounds of lawful wedded matrimony.

The fact that there may be exceptions to the rule does not strengthen your argument.

Oceander

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2018, 06:02:06 pm »
How about we just try the word "effects".

How is a phone call, transmitted over equipment belonging to an independent third party, any of the above?

And, to be pedantic, none of those terms is spelled like “computer” or “cellphone”, so clearly interpretation by a court is necessary in order to get to the result you want. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2018, 06:02:26 pm »
The Constitution says not a word about abortion and has not been amended regarding that matter.  That being the case, the fed gov has no dog in the hunt and the individual states are free to deal with the matter as they choose. Period.  End of sentence.

That's about the size of it, right there.