Author Topic: Trump threatens Harley-Davidson: If it moves operations overseas, 'they will be taxed like never bef  (Read 6928 times)

Online roamer_1

Oh, I guess I have to wait to see if Trump will actually follow through on punishing one of those businesses before I comment on what he says.   *****rollingeyes*****

Right. It's not like he has a history of being vindictive or anything...

Offline RoosGirl

Right. It's not like he has a history of being vindictive or anything...

That it's okay for a POTUS to even talk about such a thing is beyond ridiculous to me.  I can't believe there's anyone that would question that.

Online roamer_1

That it's okay for a POTUS to even talk about such a thing is beyond ridiculous to me.  I can't believe there's anyone that would question that.

That's right...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Oh, I guess I have to wait to see if Trump will actually follow through on punishing one of those businesses before I comment on what he says.   *****rollingeyes*****
Why not go ahead and hear what the Harley employees think about it?  They are a bit closer to the action than either you or me, and they do not share your own attitude on the imminent destruction of Harley Davidson.

Harley-Davidson Workers Praise Trump’s Tariffs: ‘He’s Just Trying to Save American Industry
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/06/26/harley-davidson-workers-praise-trumps-tariffs-hes-just-trying-to-save-american-industry/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

Why not go ahead and hear what the Harley employees think about it?  They are a bit closer to the action than either you or me, and they do not share your own attitude on the imminent destruction of Harley Davidson.

Harley-Davidson Workers Praise Trump’s Tariffs: ‘He’s Just Trying to Save American Industry
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/06/26/harley-davidson-workers-praise-trumps-tariffs-hes-just-trying-to-save-american-industry/

You don't get what I'm saying.  It doesn't matter what the employees think.  No POTUS should target, for any reason, a private business.  But Trump has a history of doing it; Amazon, Red Hen, and now Harley.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

You don't get what I'm saying.  It doesn't matter what the employees think.  No POTUS should target, for any reason, a private business.  But Trump has a history of doing it; Amazon, Red Hen, and now Harley.
You still exhibit your bigotry for Trump.

Of course it matters what those most affected say about it.  The fact that even the employees agree Trump is doing the right thing means all you are doing is dreaming up some wild charge of targeting.

Here's his tweet:
....When I had Harley-Davidson officials over to the White House, I chided them about tariffs in other countries, like India, being too high. Companies are now coming back to America. Harley must know that they won’t be able to sell back into U.S. without paying a big tax!

How is that what you say, " target, for any reason, a private business"?

Trump is on record for saying ANY business will receive a big tax by shipping products into the USA.  It is not unique to Harley.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

Of course it matters what those most affected say about it.  The fact that even the employees agree Trump is doing the right thing means all you are doing is dreaming up some wild charge of targeting.

Here's his tweet:
....When I had Harley-Davidson officials over to the White House, I chided them about tariffs in other countries, like India, being too high. Companies are now coming back to America. Harley must know that they won’t be able to sell back into U.S. without paying a big tax!

Trump is on record for saying ANY business will receive a big tax by shipping products into the USA.  It is not unique to Harley.

Right, so when I say "No POTUS" that's me showing bigotry against just Trump.  Substitute the words "call out" for "target", maybe it'll smooth your fur a bit.  If that doesn't work for you then we disagree.  Feel free to move along.

Offline aligncare

Here's his tweet:

@IsailedawayfromFR You are correct and sadly @RoosGirl is mistaken.

It’s difficult for some people to put aside their dislike for Donald Trump long enough to give him a fair hearing. Fortunately the success of his administration doesn’t hinge on RoosGirl’s opinion of Donald Trump.

Offline RoosGirl

@IsailedawayfromFR You are correct and sadly @RoosGirl is mistaken.

It’s difficult for some people to put aside their dislike for Donald Trump long enough to give him a fair hearing. Fortunately the success of his administration doesn’t hinge on RoosGirl’s opinion of Donald Trump.

I suspect you have no idea what my opinion of Donald Trump is. It is difficult for some people to put aside their dislike for RoosGirl long enough to give her a fair hearing.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline kevindavis007

IMO Carter gets a bum rap, the guy actually deregulated a large part of the transportation industry.

Carter did improve the airline industry.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

That's how I read it, too.   Trump's not "targeting a private business".   But in the new world of "build here what you sell here",   an American vehicle manufacturer that builds abroad and ships here will be subject to a tariff, same as a German vehicle manufacturer.    The Europeans need to follow the example of the Japanese and even the Koreans,  who build mainstream models here, increasingly from American-sourced parts.

The Japanese and Koreans have largely approached the American market in good faith.  The Europeans have not (and increasingly, neither has the Big Three,  who've even started to import cars from China (Buick Endeavor).   If it takes tariffs to get automakers to build here, then so be it.     

I've bought cars from the Big Three all my life,  but when my son needed a new compact car, we got him a Hyundai.   The car was assembled here, with an American-built engine and an American-built transmission.   NO model from the Big Three offered all that.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Carter did improve the airline industry.

Except it was Gerald Ford who should get credit. He really started that ball rolling. Carter actually stalled the process from 76-78 until he was facing a midterm defeat and suddenly the Dems decided they needed to jump on that. Edward Kennedy joined the Republicans and that is what pushed it over.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-01-20/airline-deregulation-revisitedbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

Of course, once they saw it was popular, the Dems took complete credit.

It is kind of like Civil Rights. It was Eisenhower who really got that ball moving and the Dems fought it until they saw they could use it to their advantage.

Offline kevindavis007

Except it was Gerald Ford who should get credit. He really started that ball rolling. Carter actually stalled the process from 76-78 until he was facing a midterm defeat and suddenly the Dems decided they needed to jump on that. Edward Kennedy joined the Republicans and that is what pushed it over.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-01-20/airline-deregulation-revisitedbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

Of course, once they saw it was popular, the Dems took complete credit.

It is kind of like Civil Rights. It was Eisenhower who really got that ball moving and the Dems fought it until they saw they could use it to their advantage.

Well Ford did us a big favor.  I bet you Trump would propose regulation of the Airline Industry and a lot of people here would support it.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Well Ford did us a big favor.  I bet you Trump would propose regulation of the Airline Industry and a lot of people here would support it.

Yep. People here are dumb (except us of course). As shown by this thread.

Offline kevindavis007

Yep. People here are dumb (except us of course). As shown by this thread.

Yep... I really don't want a economy based on what happened 60 years ago.