Author Topic: Mike Lee Puts Himself Back in the Running for Supreme Court; Here's Why Trump Should Oblige  (Read 847 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: PJ MEDIA

URL: https://pjmedia.com/trending/president-trump-should-nominate-mike-lee-to-the-supreme-court/

by Tyler O' Neill

On Wednesday, Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement from the nation's highest court. President Donald Trump promised to speedily replace him, and that he would choose someone on the list of 25 candidates he developed to fill the seat vacated by Justice Antonin Scalia. Trump should pick Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah).

I have been a big fan of Lee for a long time. A former Supreme Court law clerk, this senator has taken firm principled stances and presented a strong originalist view of the Constitution. He made Trump's second list, the current one under consideration.

Lee took himself out of the running in September 2016, as he was running for his U.S. Senate seat that year. On Wednesday, he changed his tune. "If somebody asked me if I would consider that, I would not say no," the senator told reporters.

Mike Lee spoke to reporters in a rare hallway interview about SCOTUS. Asked if he would ever be interested in being considered, he noted he has been a court watcher his whole life, used to watch arguments for fun as a kid. "I would not say no." He added it is Trump's decision.

— Lauren Fox (@FoxReports) June 27, 2018

If confirmed, he would be the first sitting senator named to the Supreme Court since Hugo Black in 1937.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), the other former Supreme Court law clerk in the U.S. Senate, threw his support behind Lee Wednesday. "I think the single best choice that President Trump could make to fill this vacancy is Mike Lee," Cruz told Fox News. "The reason why I think the best choice that President Trump could make is Mike Lee is because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mike Lee would be faithful to the Constitution and Bill of Rights."

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
If a truly conservative constitutional woman can be put on the court, that's what I'm hoping for. Four female justices have served so far, all fairly liberal.

https://www.nextnominee.org/  The link says they are all on the short list.

Honorable Britt Grant for example:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
For whatever it's worth, if it were up to me Mike Lee would get this appointment but almost anyone on the president's list would be fine with me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

If a truly conservative constitutional woman can be put on the court, that's what I'm hoping for. Four female justices have served so far, all fairly liberal.

https://www.nextnominee.org/  The link says they are all on the short list.

Honorable Britt Grant for example:

I'm with you Tommy. We need some hot chicks on the bench. I am tired of these old men and shriveled hags making laws.....

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
For whatever it's worth, if it were up to me Mike Lee would get this appointment but almost anyone on the president's list would be fine with me.

I would LOVE for Mike Lee to be appointed to the Court.  We know him well from his actions and decisions in the Senate.  He is a really nice guy and the fact that he has now stated he would consider it (read accept) is a surprise but a good one.  We would lose an outstanding Senator but gain a reliable Constitutionalist on the Court.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline SirLinksALot

We would lose an outstanding Senator but gain a reliable Constitutionalist on the Court

Well, I hope the governor of Utah does not appoint Mitt Romney to replace him if he becomes a Justice. That would be huge step backwards.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Nah, stay with your list, Mr. President.

Stay in the Senate and work hard, Mr. Lee.  This is your immediate mission.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:46:26 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Lee is a constitutional originalist which should be a key factor. He is also young so he could have a long tenure. Plus, he may be able to pass Senate confirmation as he may be seen as independent being someone who didn't support the president's run. (He said he voted third party). It will be hard to argue he would be a tool for the president, instead he can be judged on his judicial philosophy.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Agreed.   I have a question - would Sen. Lee be able to vote to confirm Justice Lee?   The GOP majority is paper thin, especially with McCain refusing to assume room temperature.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Agreed.   I have a question - would Sen. Lee be able to vote to confirm Justice Lee?   The GOP majority is paper thin, especially with McCain refusing to assume room temperature.
Which is precisely why I don't want to see him nominated for this particular opening, not with plenty of other options. There's a Democrat representing Alabama in the Senate for the first time in decades because they thought they could take Jeff Sessions out of his "safe seat" and the guy they wanted to replace him would win easily.

Utah's even more conservative than Alabama but a three-way split could let a Democrat in, especially if the other open seat proves enough of a distraction.

As to your technical question... I think, in theory, he could, but the tradition would be to recuse himself. With McCain still on his deathbed, that leaves it 49/49, with Pence the tiebreaker.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online corbe

NO, he would have to recuse himself @Jazzhead even if Trump nominated his brother he could not vote for him.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Which is precisely why I don't want to see him nominated for this particular opening, not with plenty of other options. There's a Democrat representing Alabama in the Senate for the first time in decades because they thought they could take Jeff Sessions out of his "safe seat" and the guy they wanted to replace him would win easily.

Utah's even more conservative than Alabama but a three-way split could let a Democrat in, especially if the other open seat proves enough of a distraction.

As to your technical question... I think, in theory, he could, but the tradition would be to recuse himself. With McCain still on his deathbed, that leaves it 49/49, with Pence the tiebreaker.

Then, when you consider Pubbies are lining up to be the swing vote so they can attempt to squeeze favors out of Trump....

Flake says he won't try to stop a Trump Nominee, but he's lying because he said the opposite thing less than a week ago.  He doesn't even know who it is yet.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
   NO, he would have to recuse himself @Jazzhead even if Trump nominated his brother he could not vote for him.

That makes sense.  And that's reason enough not to nominate Lee.   The majority's too slim.  All it takes is one defection, from Collins or Flake, say,  and the nomination's doomed.   This has to get done before the election.   

Online roamer_1

NOPE. He is needed in the Senate.

Offline Applewood

OK I have to ask:  As far as I can tell, Senator Lee has no judicial experience.  If he was nominated, could his lack of court eexperience hinder his confirmation?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
OK I have to ask:  As far as I can tell, Senator Lee has no judicial experience.  If he was nominated, could his lack of court eexperience hinder his confirmation?

Lack of experience tends to be a disqualifier in most job situations.  Then again, we elected Donald Trump . . .

Offline Applewood

Lack of experience tends to be a disqualifier in most job situations.  Then again, we elected Donald Trump . . .

Ok, I don't want to make this about Trump.  What I'm getting at is this:  if I were going to consider someone for SCOTUS, I would want yoknow how he or she has ruled in prior cases.  Assuming I'm right and Mike Lee has no experience as a judge, how would we have any idea how he would rule on say, abortion or some other hot-button issue? 

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

I agree.  Mike Lee is very much needed in the Senate and hopefully he'll stay put.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.