Author Topic: ‘We’re riding a tiger’: The Iowa GOP bets it all on Trump  (Read 544 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘We’re riding a tiger’: The Iowa GOP bets it all on Trump
By NATASHA KORECKI

DES MOINES — Donald Trump’s trade war with China could cost Iowa farmers hundreds of millions of dollars and do untold damage to the state economy.

But you’d never know it from talking to Republicans at the recent state GOP convention here. When Iowa Republican Party Chairman Jeff Kaufmann asked more than 1,100 delegates a defining question — who was still behind President Donald Trump? — there was no hesitation. In an exuberant display of unity, more than 1,100 delegates sprang to their feet, whistling, cheering and offering prolonged applause.

Far from being panic-stricken, Iowa Republicans remain committed to the president as negotiator-in-chief. They’re convinced they have a direct line to the administration, the result of 18 months of careful White House cultivation in this early presidential state.

Read more at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/25/iowa-republicans-trump-midterms-667171

Offline corbe

Until Pruitt gets his hands on their Ethanol, then things change.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

I've never entered a fight that was not exciting.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline goodwithagun

Winning!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They chose an interesting phrase.  JFK mentioned it in his inauguration speech.

Those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Silver Pines

A tiger or a slow-witted bull...? 

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
They chose an interesting phrase.  JFK mentioned it in his inauguration speech.

Those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

Hell, I rode a sabertooth for five years and didn't end up inside until the end, so I must have done something right.---Whitey Herzog, on managing combustible pitcher Joaquin Andujar. Dearly though he loved the guy, the White Rat knew in his guts that he was lucky not to end up inside after two years.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.