Author Topic: Trump threatens Harley-Davidson: If it moves operations overseas, 'they will be taxed like never bef  (Read 6921 times)

Offline endicom

Using the power of the federal government in such a massive, central planning factor like this would, in most cases (and we called out Obama for this) fall under the definition of the 'marriage between corporate and State'.

What such power is Trump using?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Picking winners and losers of American-owned companies and using the power to tax to punish them because they do not operate their business the way he demands them to.

Trump doesn't even address the REASONS why a company is looking to move its operations overseas in order to address and remedy the overly taxed, regulated, hostile and toxic business environment that exists here.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

He has been using the power of his office to attack businesses left and right. To the point, it has resulted in billion dollar swings in stock value. A single tweet by Trump cost Amazon $6 Billion dollars. https://mashable.com/2017/08/16/donald-trump-amazon-tweet/

This is a bullying tactic that almost equates to a protection racket. It is virtual window breaking- you'll meet our demands or we'll break your windows (or worse). It is the high tech, government sponsored shake-down of private business.

One that the Commander in Chief of the United States Armed Forces has zero Constitutional authority over.

Conservatives should be screaming at any government official doing this, even if that official has a R behind their name. We screamed when Obama used the power of his office to attack private businesses.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:37:33 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline endicom

Picking winners and losers of American-owned companies and using the power to tax...

How, precisely, is he doing that here?

Offline ABX

How, precisely, is he doing that here?

He said (exact quote): "A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!"

So he is shaking them down using the power of the office to tax them if they make certain business decisions that he doesn't like. That can even be easily construed as a threat to destroy them (the beginning of the end comment).

A President should have no involvement with the decision of a private business.

Offline endicom

So he is shaking them down using the power of the office to tax them...

He can do that?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
He said (exact quote): "A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!"

So he is shaking them down using the power of the office to tax them if they make certain business decisions that he doesn't like. That can even be easily construed as a threat to destroy them (the beginning of the end comment).

A President should have no involvement with the decision of a private business.

Under your avatar"  "Enemy of the State".

I applaud your blunt honesty.   /s
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

He can do that?

He just threatened to, and while Constitutionally he can't (shouldn't) as we've seen already, he and prior presidents (see the ACA) don't seem to have any hesitation in doing so when it benefits them politically.

Offline ABX

Under your avatar"  "Enemy of the State".

I applaud your blunt honesty.   /s

I figured you would like that. Especially in the Murray Rothbard context. :)

(I don't know if everyone will get that).

Offline DCPatriot

I figured you would like that. Especially in the Murray Rothbard context. :)

(I don't know if everyone will get that).

LOL!

I'm thinking of bringing back "BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT TRUMP!", under mine!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

LOL!

I'm thinking of bringing back "BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT TRUMP!", under mine!    :laugh:

LOL, it is funny though, some lurkers who may not have the long deep history of political discussions and study may see that term as an insult instead of a banner of freedom. It wasn't long ago Murray Rothbard and William F Buckley used it to describe themselves and was used for those who opposed the Soviet Union. Even as far back as Rome, where those who were part of slave uprisings were proscriptio- enemies of the state.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
LOL!

Given the chance I am sure you would.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

Naa.. DC is good folk. We all just get a big passionate in our discussions. He isn't the type to mean that. He is just ornery. :)

Offline DCPatriot

Naa.. DC is good folk. We all just get a big passionate in our discussions. He isn't the type to mean that. He is just ornery. :)

Thanks, buddy.   :laugh:

Getting old ain't fun.  No patience for anything.   Even traffic signals piss me off.

Offline DCPatriot

LOL!  You're the one with the sword, @INVAR   Not me.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
LOL!  You're the one with the sword, @INVAR   Not me.

Go get him tiger!

:sword:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline DCPatriot

Go get him tiger!

:sword:

LOL!   Truthfully, I rarely even read anything he posts.  Especially, when he's compelled to breakdown his post by responding to EVERY effing sentence from a poster to whom he's responding.

...thinks he's got an answer for everything.

"Thinks" being the keyword there.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Never underestimate stupidity found in large groups of passionate mobs.

Offline ABX

Never underestimate stupidity found in large groups of passionate mobs.

I wouldn't take too seriously any statement people make here or any other internet forum. You never know a person's real personality from seeing internet posts. Often many will play the extreme of their role online while they be more tempered and balanced in real life. I'm sure in real life, @DCPatriot would only cut off half your head.  :smokin:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:44:16 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Victoria33

Picking winners and losers of American-owned companies and using the power to tax to punish them because they do not operate their business the way he demands them to.
@INVAR

Dictator Trump sees citizens/companies as his employees and will punish those who do not follow his directions.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Trump is at once negotiating and persuading.

His detractors are the last to realize this however, since their minds are already made up, and their jaws are flapping.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

Trump is at once negotiating and persuading.

His detractors are the last to realize this however, since their minds are already made up, and their jaws are flapping.

Threatening to 'end' a business through taxation is not 'negotiating and persuading'.

Offline endicom

Harley-Davidson manufactures its motorcycles at factories in York, Pennsylvania; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Kansas City, Missouri (closing); Manaus, Brazil; and Bawal, India. Construction of a new plant in Thailand is scheduled to begin in late 2018[5]. The company markets its products worldwide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Threatening to 'end' a business through taxation is not 'negotiating and persuading'.

In the Age of Obama and the Age of Trump, with this Government Mafia - it is.

They will make us 'offers' we cannot refuse.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Of course it is.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln