Author Topic: A Compromise Immigration Bill, and a Compromise on the Compromise  (Read 430 times)

rangerrebew

A Compromise Immigration Bill, and a Compromise on the Compromise

By Mark Krikorian on June 14, 2018

In Pardon My Sarong, Abbott and Costello are drifting on a boat becalmed in the South Seas with only two beans each left to eat. Abbott (the taller, smarter one) eats his two before Costello starts, and then insists, because they're 50/50 partners, that Costello give him one of his remaining beans: "You've got two beans and I haven't got any!" Costello complies, then cuts his remaining bean in half to eat it. Abbott again insists, "You've got two halves and I haven't got any!" Costello again complies, and then finally gets to eat one half of his original two beans.

The two immigration bills the U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote on next week should be named Abbott and Costello. The first is limited but nourishing, and the second is what remains after removing much of value.

https://cis.org/Oped/Compromise-Immigration-Bill-and-Compromise-Compromise

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: A Compromise Immigration Bill, and a Compromise on the Compromise
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:49 pm »
Kill it.
No "compromise"!

Ayn Rand:
"In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:09:16 pm »
Be careful, at times, half a loaf is better than none at all as Reagan said. This bill may not be the way; though, sometimes, politics is the art of compromise. It sounds like this one would not end chain migration.  The views of Peter King and others are good enough for me. No compromise, get nothing ever. That's what we have now and we have to make sure more Conservative Senators are elected.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:10:06 pm by TomSea »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:16:42 pm »
Be careful, at times, half a loaf is better than none at all as Reagan said. This bill may not be the way; though, sometimes, politics is the art of compromise. It sounds like this one would not end chain migration.  The views of Peter King and others are good enough for me. No compromise, get nothing ever. That's what we have now and we have to make sure more Conservative Senators are elected.

IMO ending chain migration is the single most important reform and a must-have if we're to head of the coming permanent democrat ruling majority.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:33:14 pm »
Kill it.
No "compromise"!

Ayn Rand:
"In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit."

That is remarkable that you would even provide that quotation with a straight face given the insistences made during the election.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775