Author Topic: "It's Been A Difficult Few Days" - Musk Shutters 'SolarCity Facilities' Across 9 States  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-21/its-been-difficult-few-days-musk-shutters-solarcity-facilities-across-9-states

Just a week after laying off 9% of Tesla's non-Tesla vehicle production employees (and reminded investors that "profit is obviously not what motivates us") Reuters  reports that Elon Musk will sharply downsize the residential solar business it bought two years ago in a controversial $2.6 billion deal, according to three internal company documents and seven current and former Tesla solar employees.

The latest cuts to the Tesla division once known as SolarCity include closing about a dozen installation facilities, according to internal company documents, and ending a retail partnership with Home Depot that reportedly generated about half of its sales.

“We continue to expect that Tesla’s solar and battery business will be the same size as automotive over the long term,” the company said in a statement to Reuters.

While Reuters reports that Tesla declined to comment on which sites it planned to shut down, how many employees would lose their jobs or what percentage of the solar workforce they represent; the internal email said that the facilities targeted for closure were located in California, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Arizona and Delaware.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Say it ain't so Saint Elon!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

Say it ain't so Saint Elon!

Early this Spring every time I hit the Home Despot to buy some slumlord shit I had one of Elon's flunkies bug me to install solar panels on my house. Sent on about how I could get govt' money to do it. I would always ask them if they had their resume ready because they were working for a Ponzi. Haven't seen those dudes at the Despot lately. Hope they took my advice.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Early this Spring every time I hit the Home Despot to buy some slumlord shit I had one of Elon's flunkies bug me to install solar panels on my house. Sent on about how I could get govt' money to do it. I would always ask them if they had their resume ready because they were working for a Ponzi. Haven't seen those dudes at the Despot lately. Hope they took my advice.

I always wondered what ever became of the Hare Krishna movement. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline thackney

Tesla is killing SolarCity

There's no way to look at Tesla's solar performance since acquiring SolarCity and argue that it's improving. You can see in the chart below that Tesla has gone from a large lead over its closest competitors Sunrun (NASDAQ:RUN) and Vivint Solar (NYSE:VSLR) to barely holding any advantage at all. Installations are about a third of what they were when Tesla acquired SolarCity, and the decline shows no sign of stopping.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/23/more-bad-news-for-tesla-solar.aspx
Life is fragile, handle with prayer