Author Topic: US Navy Developing Ship Coatings To Reduce Fuel, Energy Costs  (Read 540 times)

rangerrebew

US Navy Developing Ship Coatings To Reduce Fuel, Energy Costs
June 25, 2018 Eurasia Review 

By Eurasia Review

It can repel water, oil, alcohol and even peanut butter. And it might save the U.S. Navy millions of dollars in ship fuel costs, reduce the amount of energy that vessels consume and improve operational efficiency.

The Office of Naval Research (ONR) is sponsoring work by Dr. Anish Tuteja, an associate professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Michigan, to develop a new type of “omniphobic” coating. This chemical coating is clear, durable, can be applied to numerous surfaces and sheds just about any liquid.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/25062018-us-navy-developing-ship-coatings-to-reduce-fuel-energy-costs/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: US Navy Developing Ship Coatings To Reduce Fuel, Energy Costs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:33:13 pm »
Something like that could have a multitude of uses, but if it keeps the barnacles from growing, would be a plus...
and keep aircraft wings from icing...
Imagine a pipeline coated with that stuff inside. Lower friction, enhanced laminar flow, shoot a pig, and the line would be clean...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »
Something like that could have a multitude of uses, but if it keeps the barnacles from growing, would be a plus...
and keep aircraft wings from icing...
Imagine a pipeline coated with that stuff inside. Lower friction, enhanced laminar flow, shoot a pig, and the line would be clean...

Cell Phones....

Clear, durable "omniphobic" coating repels almost any liquid
https://newatlas.com/clear-omniphobic-coating-repels-any-liquid/54180/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
I wonder if there is a way it can be adapted to work on the border..................omniphobic, sounds really good right now. :pondering:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:33:49 pm »
Cell Phones....

Clear, durable "omniphobic" coating repels almost any liquid
https://newatlas.com/clear-omniphobic-coating-repels-any-liquid/54180/
Shoes, cars, clothes...............children :silly: