Author Topic: George Will: Vote Democrat This Fall If You Care About Your Country  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: George Will: Vote Democrat This Fall If You Care About Your Country
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 07:56:39 pm »
@Free Vulcan I'm not sure if Will has ever been an ideological "crony" of Conservatives. 

He's always been more of a Rockefeller Republican.  His thought process isn't exactly new or related to Trump.

He was the one that coined the phrase "Kamikaze Conservatives" when Regan was running in 1980 as a derogatory term for Conservatives that supported Reagan.

@txradioguy

Post of the day at least!  Will has been a very squishy republican from day one.  Which is why he was allowed to work for the WAPO in the first place.  If he had been an actual conservative he would not have survived his first hour there.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 08:01:27 pm »
@Free Vulcan I'm not sure if Will has ever been an ideological "crony" of Conservatives. 

He's always been more of a Rockefeller Republican.  His thought process isn't exactly new or related to Trump.

He was the one that coined the phrase "Kamikaze Conservatives" when Regan was running in 1980 as a derogatory term for Conservatives that supported Reagan.

I'm talking people like MccConnell, Collins, Murkowski, McCain, Corker, Flake, etc. The guys that peel off on every bill of importance so that nothing ever gets done. Will hangs with the very people that are a big chunk of the problem.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 05:43:36 am »
Joe, I share your feelings on the matter, but question the method.  I was flipping through channels last week and chanced upon "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?".   Lots of seemingly intelligent people who were very motivated to provide correct answers to questions.  They were good at calculating numbers, for  dates, percentages etc.  But, absolutely clueless about history and current events.  Barry Goldwater was a democrat; no idea that Nixon had been a VP, not sure how our system of government works, and on and on.  I actually watched 2 of the shows because I was fascinated by their knowledge set.  They knew who sang what recent song, but couldn't tell you who runs the government.  You ought to watch it sometime - it might change your opinion about "the common man".
And this is worse than some twit rattling on about the flag Neil Armstrong planted on Mars?

My point being that while those folks might be ignorant of how the government works, they make the rest of the country work pretty well in spite of government. So make 'em pass a basic Civics test first.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 01:48:12 pm »
And this is worse than some twit rattling on about the flag Neil Armstrong planted on Mars?

My point being that while those folks might be ignorant of how the government works, they make the rest of the country work pretty well in spite of government. So make 'em pass a basic Civics test first.

If you don't understand how the country works, you don't understand the whys, and that devolves into populism, where the flavor of the moment is the right thing to do.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 05:16:11 pm »
There's a reason why Democrats have always been nice to George Will.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 05:26:26 pm »
There's a reason why Democrats have always been nice to George Will.

Besides being a pseudointellectual snob and all around SOB? 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 05:30:30 pm »

Thank you for reminding everybody about how the Establishment Republicans despised Reagan (and his forbearer, Goldwater).  Until he started winning, and they jumped on the bandwagon,  until, George HW moved into in the White House, and it was right back to "Business as Usual" in the GOP.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »
Besides being a pseudointellectual snob and all around SOB?

Ever since that SOB called GHWB, "Reagan's Lap Dog", he's been a persona non grata in a GOP-run White House.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline WingNot

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 06:01:22 pm »
Ever since that SOB called GHWB, "Reagan's Lap Dog", he's been a persona non grata in a GOP-run White House.

I did not know that

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 06:08:22 pm »
I did not know that

Had the opportunity to 'know' him circa 1982-86.   My sister-in-law worked for the Washington Journalism Review...a slick monthly magazine at the time.

He met the owner....Catherine Evans, IIRC...weekly for lunch.

What a douche bag.  First person I had ever met that actually walked around with his nose in the air.  Quite funny.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline the_doc

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 06:11:56 pm »
Joe, I share your feelings on the matter, but question the method.  I was flipping through channels last week and chanced upon "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?".   Lots of seemingly intelligent people who were very motivated to provide correct answers to questions.  They were good at calculating numbers, for  dates, percentages etc.  But, absolutely clueless about history and current events.  Barry Goldwater was a democrat; no idea that Nixon had been a VP, not sure how our system of government works, and on and on.  I actually watched 2 of the shows because I was fascinated by their knowledge set.  They knew who sang what recent song, but couldn't tell you who runs the government.  You ought to watch it sometime - it might change your opinion about "the common man".

I have seen quite a few "Man on the Street" interviews demonstrating that the average American has extraordinarily poor general knowledge and is dumb as a stump when it comes to anything important, especially matters concerning  our history or our government.  I recently treated a patient who struck me as a complete ignoramus, and then I discovered that she was graduating as valedictorian of her high school class.     

Offline WingNot

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 06:16:50 pm »
Had the opportunity to 'know' him circa 1982-86.   My sister-in-law worked for the Washington Journalism Review...a slick monthly magazine at the time.

He met the owner....Catherine Evans, IIRC...weekly for lunch.

What a douche bag.  First person I had ever met that actually walked around with his nose in the air.  Quite funny.

He has that air about him.  Good to know he really is a 1st class *ss

:beer:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 06:22:05 pm »
I have seen quite a few "Man on the Street" interviews demonstrating that the average American has extraordinarily poor general knowledge and is dumb as a stump when it comes to anything important, especially matters concerning  our history or our government.  I recently treated a patient who struck me as a complete ignoramus, and then I discovered that she was graduating as valedictorian of her high school class.   

You think that's bad?  Check out these students at American University located 6 miles from the US Capitol:

! No longer available
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »
You think that's bad?  Check out these students at American University located 6 miles from the US Capitol:

! No longer available

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.  Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you as My priests.
Since you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.  The more they multiplied, the more they sinned against Me;
They exchanged their Glory for a thing of disgrace. They feed on the sin of My people and set their heart on iniquity.
Hosea 4:6-8
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 06:34:34 pm »
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.  Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you as My priests.
Since you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.  The more they multiplied, the more they sinned against Me;
They exchanged their Glory for a thing of disgrace. They feed on the sin of My people and set their heart on iniquity.

When cornered/exposed...run to the Bible.

ROFL!   You. So. Funny. 

/s

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 06:38:59 pm »

I have a friend whose daughter was trying to decide between American and GWU.  I told her that if she chose American University, I would never speak to her again.

She chose GWU.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:59 pm »
I have a friend whose daughter was trying to decide between American and GWU.  I told her that if she chose American University, I would never speak to her again.

She chose GWU.

Is GWU any better? I do know that they are more expensive.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:01 pm »

LOL,  you are hard core!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »
When cornered/exposed...run to the Bible.

ROFL!   You. So. Funny. 

/s

@INVAR @DCPatriot   AND ... nearly always the Old Testament.  Lot of good judgments there. Hahahaha
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 08:04:25 pm »
@INVAR @DCPatriot   AND ... nearly always the Old Testament.  Lot of good judgments there. Hahahaha

*****rollingeyes*****

Well there's always the wisdom and knowledge to be found in "Two Corinthians".

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 08:07:11 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

It's not surprising the contempt shown to both scripture and anyone who does not follow in lockstep to their groupthink by our usual suspects.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 08:07:16 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

See now that is still funny, even if it is an oldie moldie  and you are a Trump supporter! 

Offline WingNot

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 08:08:01 pm »
It's not surprising the contempt shown to both scripture and anyone who does not follow in lockstep to their groupthink by our usual suspects.

Man you are just a broken record today Innie.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »
See now that is still funny, even if it is an oldie moldie  and you are a Trump supporter!

I have my moments...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 08:14:39 pm »
Man you are just a broken record today Innie.

"Today"?    :laugh: