Author Topic: Wanda Sykes to Ivanka Trump: 'F--k you'  (Read 11084 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Wanda Sykes to Ivanka Trump: 'F--k you'
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2018, 04:40:14 pm »
I use essential oils when it's just mosquitoes, but they have their limits; noseeums for example.  I don't trust them with ticks.

At least your dog has a cooperative coat to do the exam.  Mine is a golden retriever/cocker spaniel mix with thick, unruly fur.  Thankfully, the Frontline does a great job, though I have to use clippers on a small patch between her shoulder blades so it gets to the skin.  Now, if I could just find a way to keep her from rolling in goose crap at the lakes.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2018, 04:53:49 pm »

At least your dog has a cooperative coat to do the exam.  Mine is a golden retriever/cocker spaniel mix with thick, unruly fur.  Thankfully, the Frontline does a great job, though I have to use clippers on a small patch between her shoulder blades so it gets to the skin.  Now, if I could just find a way to keep her from rolling in goose crap at the lakes.

If you do, the world would beat a path to your door. :cool:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2018, 05:00:28 pm »

Dogs are happiest when they can roll in duck and goose crap and eat horse crap.

It won't help with the goose crap, but check out Bravecto pills.  You give them once every 3 months and they cover fleas and ticks.  Incidentally, it may be the geese she's picking up ticks from.

Offline edpc

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2018, 05:09:32 pm »

It won't help with the goose crap, but check out Bravecto pills.  You give them once every 3 months and they cover fleas and ticks.  Incidentally, it may be the geese she's picking up ticks from.

The ticks are my fault.  I try to find the out of the way spots where there's less fishing pressure.  That usually involves prime tick real estate - thick woods, high grass, and deer paths.  It's worth the hassle when you get a 7 lb bass to strike a surface lure.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:54:02 pm by edpc »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2018, 05:44:17 pm »

@edpc

NOT gonna do it. That's how dogs mask their own smell so they can sneak up on prey. It's instinctive at the "blink an eye" level.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2018, 05:45:53 pm »

@RoosGirl

My guess is any tick that gets close to a goose gets eaten before it gets much further. I also doubt any can penetrate past their feathers when even water can't do that.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2018, 05:49:32 pm »
@RoosGirl

Gawd.  We’re not quite that hot, but it’s damn bad enough.  Let’s see....the humidity is so bad that the car windows fog up the minute you pull out of the garage.  You break a sweat almost as fast.  Bugs droning all over the place, a tick epidemic that can give you everything from Lyme to a meat allergy (!!!), storms spawning tornadoes (had to run to the basement two days ago).... so, yeah.  It would be nice to live someplace where summer can be romanticized, like upper Canada.  For me, until fall, I don’t need “fresh” (steamy, suffocating) air.  I have the freshest air of all—-A/C.

:laugh:  We did bypass Spring entirely this year and headed straight into the August swamp.  Agree, it's been awful, just awful.

I lost the AC in my car the other day and seriously considered leaving it on the side of the road and calling Uber.

@CatherineofAragon

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:50:52 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2018, 05:54:18 pm »
@RoosGirl

My guess is any tick that gets close to a goose gets eaten before it gets much further. I also doubt any can penetrate past their feathers when even water can't do that.

https://aspenn.com/blame-canada-canadian-geese-causing-tick-control-crisis/

Offline edpc

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2018, 05:59:23 pm »
Canada Geese are considered a pest for other reasons as well, like how they spread diarrheal parasitic diseases like Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum in their feces

@RoosGirl

One of the reasons I try keeping her out of it, aside from the mess and ick factor.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2018, 06:01:19 pm »
https://aspenn.com/blame-canada-canadian-geese-causing-tick-control-crisis/

@RoosGirl

I will admit to losing all interest in hunting after joining the army,but I was an avid duck and goose hunter for several years before enlisting,and I have never once seen a goose or a duck with a tick on them.

Or even around them or chickens. Any tick that got anywhere close got digested.

And yes,my father raised both chickens and ducks at one time or another.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:02:39 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2018, 06:10:05 pm »
Canada Geese are considered a pest for other reasons as well, like how they spread diarrheal parasitic diseases like Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum in their feces

@RoosGirl

One of the reasons I try keeping her out of it, aside from the mess and ick factor.

Giardia is awful.  I have a cat that had it, before it was over we had to treat the whole herd of cats, and scrub our hands vigorously after touching them.  That one cat has always been on the sickly side.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2018, 06:12:32 pm »
@RoosGirl

I will admit to losing all interest in hunting after joining the army,but I was an avid duck and goose hunter for several years before enlisting,and I have never once seen a goose or a duck with a tick on them.

Or even around them or chickens. Any tick that got anywhere close got digested.

And yes,my father raised both chickens and ducks at one time or another.

The ticks aren't really the problem, it's the parasites inside of them that are bad.  Those parasites go right through the chickens and geese  ("like shit trough a goose"), and end up in the droppings.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:13:19 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2018, 06:15:10 pm »
Ugh.  I'm doubly grateful for fire ants after reading all of this.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2018, 06:20:22 pm »
The ticks aren't really the problem, it's the parasites inside of them that are bad.  Those parasites go right through the chickens and geese  ("like shit trough a goose"), and end up in the droppings.

From what I've read it's the baby ticks that like to hitch a ride on geese, once they mature a bit they drop off and look for a larger mammal.

I've also read that chicken get salmonella from eating diseased flies.  Like you say, the salmonella runs right through the chicken, doesn't really effect them, but it gets passed on through the eggs and poop.

Offline edpc

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »
Ugh.  I'm doubly grateful for fire ants after reading all of this.

If they go unnoticed, people can get temporary tick paralysis.  Children are more susceptible because of their smaller size allows more of an effect with the neurotoxin.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2018/06/12/a-5-year-old-girls-sudden-paralysis-was-a-mystery-then-her-mother-checked-her-scalp/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2018, 06:38:36 pm »

If they go unnoticed, people can get temporary tick paralysis.  Children are more susceptible because of their smaller size allows more of an effect with the neurotoxin.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2018/06/12/a-5-year-old-girls-sudden-paralysis-was-a-mystery-then-her-mother-checked-her-scalp/

Your caution is well taken, but the fire ants have pretty much wiped out the tick population here.  Used to be very common; now are very rare, even with all the livestock and wildlife I live amongst.

Offline edpc

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »
Your caution is well taken, but the fire ants have pretty much wiped out the tick population here.  Used to be very common; now are very rare, even with all the livestock and wildlife I live amongst.

Besides, with a fire ant mound and some molten lead, you can make interesting display pieces.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:44:38 pm by edpc »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2018, 06:43:20 pm »

If only there was a way to get rid of the fire ants.  We don't have them as bad y'all I don't think.  Amdro just makes them pack up and move 3 feet over from where they were before.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2018, 06:45:09 pm »
PS Ticks will eat other ticks also.  I had a buddy that was a surveyor for a while.  They had one job that was particularly bad with ticks so he brought in a little bottle with the idea he was going to count how many ticks he picked off himself at the end of the day.  At the end of the day there was only 1 tick left in the bottle.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:37 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2018, 07:04:55 pm »

Besides, with a fire ant mound and some molten lead, you can make interesting display pieces.

We also have leaf-cutter ants.  They will denude big trees within days.  I had a bad infestation in the back yard, and a big rain exposed a hive of about 10 feet deep and about 12 foot perimeter.  It looked like a sinkhole at first.  They can have hives going down 20 feet or so.  Industrious little critters.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2018, 07:09:33 pm »
From what I've read it's the baby ticks that like to hitch a ride on geese, once they mature a bit they drop off and look for a larger mammal.

There are other parasites that follow that route to infection.  Beef gets contaminated that way, being a higher mammal.  A carrion eating bird will eat from a carcass, the organism will pass through, the droppings fall on a pasture, then eaten in turn by a cow/steer.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2018, 07:10:50 pm »
PS Ticks will eat other ticks also.  I had a buddy that was a surveyor for a while.  They had one job that was particularly bad with ticks so he brought in a little bottle with the idea he was going to count how many ticks he picked off himself at the end of the day.  At the end of the day there was only 1 tick left in the bottle.

Ticks got cannibals!!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2018, 07:13:09 pm »
Does anybody else find it appropriate a thread about Wanda Sykes' potty mouth eventually steered itself into a thread about anal parasites?

000hehehehe
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:01 pm »
! No longer available

Looks like I got my metals mixed up.  It's aluminum.  Makes sense.  Lead would likely make it too weighty and soft.