Author Topic: Crying migrant girl on TIME magazine cover was not separated from mother, family says  (Read 960 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

A little girl shown in a viral photo crying as a U.S. Border Patrol agent detained her mother – and used by TIME magazine to symbolize the Trump administration's family separation policy – reportedly was never separated from her mom.

“Welcome to America,” declared a somber TIME cover, which showed the picture of the Honduran child Yanela Sanchez next to a towering President Trump.

TIME called it “an image America could not ignore” and interviewed the photographer, as did other outlets. TIME followed up with another article entirely about the cover and “the story behind” it.

The picture was featured in international coverage of the policy around the world. The New York Daily News also put Sanchez on the cover of its June 16 issue with the headline: “Callous. Soulless. Craven. Trump.”

Wow. What a powerful and heartbreaking front page.

'A 2-year-old Honduran girl cries as her mother is detained near the Mexican border in McAllen, Texas.'

CNN analyst Chris Cillizza wrote an entire article on the TIME cover: "It shows the compassion gap that exists between the Trump administration's 'zero-tolerance' border policy and the real-life people that are affected."

But multiple outlets interviewed the father of the girl behind the iconic image, and he said he had learned that his two-year-old daughter was detained with her mother at a facility in Texas, and the two were not separated at all. The Honduran government confirmed his version of events to Reuters.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
more at http://www.foxnews.com/

Mother obviously a nut case.  Took 4 year old on dangerous journey without asking father.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I understand that Time is still defending the cover on the basis that although it is a lie, it's a good lie.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
A lot of interesting details on Fox News.  The father is apparently a successful businessman and family man.  The mother took this small child without his knowledge or permission.  She placed this child in danger herself and, by the way, she was never separated from the child.  That's probably why the kid was crying.

Offline dfwgator

A lot of interesting details on Fox News.  The father is apparently a successful businessman and family man.  The mother took this small child without his knowledge or permission.  She placed this child in danger herself and, by the way, she was never separated from the child.  That's probably why the kid was crying.

But of course it's all Trump's fault.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
But of course it's all Trump's fault.

I'm surprised you even ask @dfwgator   It's obviously Trump's fault.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The truth doesn't matter.  All that maters is that the meme be sold to a gullible electorate.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Millee

I understand that Time is still defending the cover on the basis that although it is a lie, it's a good lie.

I just went to their FB page and they're rightly getting ripped for their "news" coverage. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I just went to their FB page and they're rightly getting ripped for their "news" coverage.

And they can't figure out why their circulation is near zero!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
And they can't figure out why their circulation is near zero!

So many media members sacrificing all credibility on the altar of Trump hate.

I remember when a Time cover meant something.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The President's influence is spreading.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The mainstream media has been like this since the Kennedy Johnson Vietnam war; now they've got somebody who fights back.