Author Topic: Emails Suggest 'Zero Tolerance' Effectively On Hold, Despite What Trump Admin Says  (Read 422 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Washington (CNN) Though the Trump administration outwardly is maintaining that it is continuing its "zero-tolerance" border policy, email traffic obtained by CNN shows that the policy has effectively been curtailed for now -- the latest sign of confusion and disarray over how to implement an executive order designed to halt family separations at the border.

The decision by Customs and Border Protection to put a hold on referring adults caught crossing the border illegally if they arrive with their children comes after President Donald Trump signed an executive order asking his agencies to keep families together at the border -- though it did not order a halt to prosecutions.

According to email traffic sent Wednesday night and Thursday morning that was obtained by CNN, Customs and Border Protection has told its field offices to suspend referring any parents who cross the border illegally with their children for prosecution for misdemeanor illegal-entry charges. The move, which could be reversed, effectively neuters "zero tolerance" as long as it is in effect.

The series of emails shows how the President's order left government agencies scrambling for how to comply -- as it was rolled out without any clear guidance on what the practical effect would be.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/politics/trump-border-prosecutions-suspended/index.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:13:40 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
CNN?   Right.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."