Author Topic: Trump punts the border crisis to a broken Congress  (Read 512 times)

Offline corbe

Trump punts the border crisis to a broken Congress
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:01:00 pm »
Trump punts the border crisis to a broken Congress

Caitlin Owens6 hours ago

President Trump's border crisis is only the latest example of the administration enacting a policy with drastic implications and telling Congress to fix it. The problem is that the strategy hasn't worked in the past, with negotiations going down in partisan flames.

Why it matters: If Congress fails yet again to find a legislative solution to a problem thrust upon it by the White House, this time it means that family separation at the border will continue until Trump caves — which is far from a fail-safe option.

On issues that have caused legislative stalemates for years — if not decades — Trump has consistently chosen to punt to Congress anyway.

"Normally recent presidents have acted through the executive action after Congress has failed. Trump’s doing the reverse — using executive action to provoke a congressional response," said Alex Conant, a former aide to Sen. Marco Rubio.

<..snip..>

https://www.axios.com/trump-punts-border-crisis-to-broken-congress-37351a11-2999-42e3-8109-d1ff24d461a4.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Trump punts the border crisis to a broken Congress
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 04:02:21 pm »
Congress couldn't even fix a flat tire, much less this.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 04:11:31 pm »
I thought we wanted to get back to using the system the way it was intended.

Now its considered 'punting' to congress.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:54:00 pm »
   I do see your point @skeeter and correct me if my thinking is screwled, but the majority of this $hit the press is beating the crap out of Trump for was EO's by the previous administration. 
  The easiest, quickest way to FIX an EO is with another EO.  In this case it fits, but the President miscalculated back in February and kicked it to an ineffective Congress. If he manages to defuse this bomb and deny the Dems a talking point for the Midterms, he deserves kudos, we know the Congress can't/won't do $hit.
   IMHO
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:29:05 am »
   I do see your point @skeeter and correct me if my thinking is screwled, but the majority of this $hit the press is beating the crap out of Trump for was EO's by the previous administration. 
  The easiest, quickest way to FIX an EO is with another EO.  In this case it fits, but the President miscalculated back in February and kicked it to an ineffective Congress. If he manages to defuse this bomb and deny the Dems a talking point for the Midterms, he deserves kudos, we know the Congress can't/won't do $hit.
   IMHO

@corbe

Mark Levin is saying, and I agree, that a judge will quickly rule this EO unconstitutional and demand the parents with children are released into the population pending their hearing. Which of course they'll forget to attend.

So, unless Trump is willing to go back to strictly enforcing the law and send the media and the mush-minded into orbit, the Rat's win.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:29:58 am by skeeter »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:31:27 am »
Mark Levin is saying, and I agree, that a judge will quickly rule this EO unconstitutional and demand the parents with children are released into the population pending their hearing. Which of course they'll forget to attend.

So, unless Trump is willing to go back to strictly enforcing the law and send the media and the mush-minded into orbit, the Rat's win.

Methinks the President will have no problem with this.  I'm listening to his rally now.  There are no changed in the Trump Immigration Doctrine.

I heard Levin tonight on the drive home and thought he was over the top in his assessment ... and just turned him off.