Author Topic: This 30-second change to your computer settings is the easiest way to stop hackers  (Read 612 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Kari Paul
June 18, 2018

With just a few clicks, you could better arm yourself against hackers and block advertisers from tracking you online.

Cybercrime is projected to cost the global economy more than $2 trillion a year by 2019 according to market analysts Juniper Research, and many of those scams start with phishing — tricking people into clicking on nefarious links through legitimate-looking emails.

An easy way to block these attacks: Change the Domain Name System (DNS) that your computer uses. Most computers connect to the DNS that’s automatically set by their internet service providers, but there are safer alternatives.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-30-second-change-to-your-computer-settings-is-the-easiest-way-to-stop-hackers-2018-06-12

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
opendns is another good one.   

This is a really good way.  Depending on the provider this can also be used to keep the internet more child friendly.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Unless, of course, your hand-picked DNS server gets pw3nd.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Unless, of course, your hand-picked DNS server gets pw3nd.

True, I've also had trouble with Verizon blocking other DNS providers.  Trying to force me to use theirs.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.