General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Toxic leftovers from gold mine found in snowshoe hares

(1/1)

rangerrebew:

Toxic leftovers from gold mine found in snowshoe hares
June 14, 2018 by Som Niyogi And Solomon Amuno, The Conversation

Even though it was closed decades ago, the Giant Mine on the outskirts of Yellowknife has left a long environmental legacy.

The gold extraction process, which required roasting ores at extremely high temperatures, created a toxic byproduct called arsenic trioxide. For about 55 years (1948-2004), arsenic and other toxic elements were released into the environment, causing widespread contamination of the terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems around Yellowknife.

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-toxic-leftovers-gold-snowshoe-hares.html?utm_source=menu&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=item-menu

driftdiver:
I'm sure the EPA had nothing to do with it

endicom:

--- Quote from: driftdiver on June 14, 2018, 04:50:34 pm ---I'm sure the EPA had nothing to do with it

--- End quote ---

Not in 1948.

These external costs are where government should have a role in preventing the costs from being borne by the general public. IMO, Attorneys General should be able to fill that role without federal or state EPAs.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: endicom on June 14, 2018, 04:56:01 pm ---
Not in 1948.

These external costs are where government should have a role in preventing the costs from being borne by the general public. IMO, Attorneys General should be able to fill that role without federal or state EPAs.

--- End quote ---
This within a couple of miles of an old mine near Yellowknife, NWT, Canada.

Not exactly the area of the EPA's jurisdiction, even if it had been formed yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version