Author Topic: The GOP’s Rapid Retreat in the Midwest  (Read 516 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The GOP’s Rapid Retreat in the Midwest
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:17:04 pm »
The GOP’s Rapid Retreat in the Midwest
Josh Kraushaar

One of the biggest red flags for President Trump’s reelection emerged this week from a region that he can never stop talking about: the Rust Belt. The president still frequently likes to remind reporters about his conventional-wisdom-busting victories in the blue-wall states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, but he isn’t paying attention to how much they’ve reverted to Democratic form lately.

Senate Republicans are all but conceding that Democratic senators will be coasting to reelection in Midwestern states that Trump narrowly carried. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, notably, has left off Democratic seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Ohio when he listed off the most competitive races for this year’s midterms. The Democrats’ leading Senate super PAC, so confident of its prospects in the region, isn’t reserving any time for Sens. Tammy Baldwin, Bob Casey, Debbie Stabenow, or Sherrod Brown.

Meanwhile, Ohio is becoming a major warning sign for the GOP’s fortunes in the upcoming midterms—and beyond. The state backed Trump by a healthy 8-point margin in 2016, fueled by dramatic swings towards Republicans along the blue-collar eastern spine of the state. Trump’s winning margin in bellwether Ohio was nearly identical to his winning margin in ruby-red Texas. Given the promising political trends from Trump’s election, Republicans were hopeful that they could upset Brown and hold the governorship with an established figure like Attorney General Mike DeWine. Early polling showed the Senate race competitive and DeWine holding a healthy lead over the opposition.

Read more at: https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/669236?unlock=L6H53FDW9A8QQYG9

This is what I've thought since the beginning, Trump will need those states he won last time. At least, some of them such as Wisconsin or Ohio.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 03:17:44 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

Re: The GOP’s Rapid Retreat in the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
This is what I've thought since the beginning, Trump will need those states he won last time. At least, some of them such as Wisconsin or Ohio.

Yup...this is the huge story in politics.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn