Author Topic: Trump claims parents of Korean War veterans begged him for help during the campaign. They'd be at le  (Read 3856 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
@driftdiver said it best so I'll just quote him,

that "you're actually complaining about him trying to get back the remains of fallen soldiers.   pathetic"

goopo

Offline musiclady

@driftdiver said it best so I'll just quote him,

that "you're actually complaining about him trying to get back the remains of fallen soldiers.   pathetic"

Actually, no one here is complaining about that.

Truth matters.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jpsb

Actually, no one here is complaining about that.

Truth matters.

Bull, you are bashing Trump over his statement that he wants to bring back the remains of our
Korean war dead. As a vet I think that is disgusting.

Oceander

It's still equivocation that leftists do all the time.

The words people say matter.   Not just their "hearts."

Nonsense.  Of course words matter; the question, as always, is what they matter for, and here they matter for the sentiment they convey, not for the bare facts they imply.

If I say “I’m so hungry I could eat a horse” am I lying since, I can promise, I have never eaten, and will never eat, a horse?

Offline jpsb

Nonsense.  Of course words matter; the question, as always, is what they matter for, and here they matter for the sentiment they convey, not for the bare facts they imply.

If I say “I’m so hungry I could eat a horse” am I lying since, I can promise, I have never eaten, and will never eat, a horse?

Good analogy

Offline jpsb

off to lunch alter all

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So if I put some cyanide in a delicious chocolate cake, it's insignificant because the cake is so good?

That wasn't "all I heard"... but just like I'd criticize President Obama for idiocy amongst positives, I'll criticize this POTUS.  I'm not a hypocrite.

@Suppressed
You're criticizing the President for trying to bring back our fallen soldiers.   thats all you're doing and its far beyond being a hypocrit
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline musiclady

Bull, you are bashing Trump over his statement that he wants to bring back the remains of our
Korean war dead. As a vet I think that is disgusting.

It could be disgusting if what you’re accusing me of were even remotely true.

But it’s not.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

Oh, for heavens sake.

There’s no parallel there whatsoever.

All he had to do is convey the sentiment truthfully.

But he didn’t.  He made stuff up like he always does.

Oceander

Oh, for heavens sake.

There’s no parallel there whatsoever.

All he had to do is convey the sentiment truthfully.

But he didn’t.  He made stuff up like he always does.

In this case he did convey the sentiment truthfully:  there are still American families that want the remains of their fallen sons and daughters returned to the US. 

Offline aligncare

Here we go again. Nit picking from the usuals. I think George Washington would have a hard time passing the purity test around here.

But I’m encouraged by the position you’ve taken @Oceander:beer:  Substantive lies should always be called out. However this is not one of those.

Offline musiclady

In this case he did convey the sentiment truthfully:  there are still American families that want the remains of their fallen sons and daughters returned to the US.

It would have been nice if he had conveyed a truthful and worthy sentiment without untrue embellishment, but we can agree to disagree that there is no problem with his trumpian version of what he presumably actually meant.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Here we go again. Nit picking from the usuals.

I highly doubt you made similar complaints and arguments when Obama was criticized for equal bullshit flying out of his mouth during his reign.  Or Clinton for that matter.

Nearly all of American society has now come full circle with the Left by embracing intentions rather than substance.

Of course that is how we now choose our rulers.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed
You're criticizing the President for trying to bring back our fallen soldiers.

No.  I'm criticizing him for lying.

Period.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

Here we go again. Nit picking from the usuals. I think George Washington would have a hard time passing the purity test around here.

But I’m encouraged by the position you’ve taken @Oceander:beer:  Substantive lies should always be called out. However this is not one of those.

On that I think we can agree.  :beer:

Offline corbe

My Mother (a spry 85) never got her Brother Freddie's remains back from the Korean Police Action.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
No.  I'm criticizing him for lying.

Period.

Wow, so some president's get criticized for high unemployment, high gas prices, a failing economy, etc. etc. but you've got him on lying. That's going to leave a mark!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ah yes, the heart is in the right place, so the truth of the words don't matter.

How many times did the left say that about Obama?
Isn't that something like "Fake, but accurate" talking about National Guard memos? :shrug:

My dad was in Korea. We 'kids' are fortunate, indeed, to still have our parents to talk with, but their parents are gone now, one having lived past 100.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

Isn't that something like "Fake, but accurate" talking about National Guard memos? :shrug:

My dad was in Korea. We 'kids' are fortunate, indeed, to still have our parents to talk with, but their parents are gone now, one having lived past 100.

Ah, yes...... the Dan Rather version of a true story.  Who could forget?

Well, my Dad was a WWII vet and he would be 102 if he were still with us.   His parents, however, would be 136 and 137.

I just wonder why Trump says stuff like this.  He didn't need to.  He could have just said, "We need families to get their Dads and brothers remains back home."  NOT that their parents told him that.

Such an easy untruth to avoid.  And yet, I think the habit of just saying whatever dumb thing comes to mind, true or not, is too engrained to get rid of at his advanced age.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:34:27 pm by musiclady »

Offline Smokin Joe

Well, my Dad was a WWII vet and he would be 102 if he were still with us.   His parents, however, would be 136 and 137.

I just wonder why Trump says stuff like this.  He didn't need to.  He could have just said, "We need families to get their Dads and brothers remains back home."  NOT that their parents told him that.

Such an easy untruth to avoid.  And yet, I think the habit of just saying whatever dumb thing comes to mind, true or not, is too engrained to get rid of at his advanced age.
If he had just said "Families" instead of "parents", it would have been fine. :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jpsb

By all means keep bashing Trump for trying to return the remains of our fallen in Korea, that is
surely a winning hand with Americans. /s

And the NeverTrumpers wonder why no one give a sh#t what they think.

Offline Smokin Joe

By all means keep bashing Trump for trying to return the remains of our fallen in Korea, that is
surely a winning hand with Americans. /s

No one is attacking returning the remains of our servicemen to America.

But by all means, keep having shitfits when we point out egregious inaccuracies in what Trump says, inaccuracies which translate to falsehood. Because you just know what he means and ignore what he actually says. And you wonder how we can walk past the cheering section without a second glance?

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

We know for a fact that is a lie.   ForeverTrump® not only makes a federal issue out of each and every syllable they feel disparages or slights Trump (even to the point of having a hissy-fit that we are not using the proper honorarium when addressing Trump), but they have also told us and explained in great emphatic urgency, that what we think directly hurts, sabotages, harms and will destroy the Trump Presidency, Conservatism and winning in general.  Notwithstanding the charge that we are committing treason by stupidity by aiding the Left in taking over the entire country and putting us under the DNC boot for our refusal to support the man with the incredible combover at 1600 Pennsylvania.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Seems to me Trump gets "confused" a lot. 

Those of us who haven't boarded the Trump train have noticed that Trump brags a lot.  And most of his bragging consists of lies.  The pro-Trump crowd either hasn't noticed or have ready-made excuses for his behavior.

@Applewood I'll take ready made excuses for $200
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
No one is attacking returning the remains of our servicemen to America.

But by all means, keep having shitfits when we point out egregious inaccuracies in what Trump says, inaccuracies which translate to falsehood. Because you just know what he means and ignore what he actually says. And you wonder how we can walk past the cheering section without a second glance?

@Smokin Joe

The leftist style group think that some on our side are now demanding of any and everyone is disturbing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!