Author Topic: Trump-basher Mark Sanford, who president called 'nothing but trouble,' ousted in key South Carolina  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/13/trump-basher-mark-sanford-who-president-called-nothing-but-trouble-ousted-in-key-south-carolina-primary.html

Incumbent Republican South Carolina Rep. Mark Sanford, a frequent Trump critic who the president has lambasted as "nothing but trouble" and "very unhelpful," was ousted in Tuesday night's primary by state Rep. Katie Arrington.

On a key primary night with elections also held in Maine, Nevada and North Dakota, the results in South Carolina were an unmistakably positive referendum on President Trump's first term so far.

Arrington's shock win was a dramatic rebuke of Sanford's heated "Never Trump" rhetoric and scandal-pocked career. It also signaled that the president's base in the state remains solidly behind him ahead of November's midterm elections, despite withering criticism from both inside and outside the Republican party.

Offline Frank Cannon

Well I guess Mark can move back to Argentina and try his luck again there.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
What a clown.  Glad as hell he's gone -- a total embarassment.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

Is there a policy reason, or was this personal?  Sanford is to the right of his party on fiscal matters.  Arrington is a defense contractor.

Oceander

Is there a policy reason, or was this personal?  Sanford is to the right of his party on fiscal matters.  Arrington is a defense contractor.

Personal.  He didn’t lick Trump’s boots enough in public, notwithstanding his voting record.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sadly, Romney and Rubio supporter Arrington doesn't look to be a much better choice.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Well, I hear the Appalachian Trail is nice.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I have less of a problem with him having an affair than I do with him telling voters he was on the Appalachian trail when he was actually incommunicado out of the country.  He was the Governor of a state -- you don't lie to people about being out of the country.

Offline edpc

I have less of a problem with him having an affair than I do with him telling voters he was on the Appalachian trail when he was actually incommunicado out of the country.  He was the Governor of a state -- you don't lie to people about being out of the country.

Sure, but my point was, since he has the free time now, maybe he should actually see it.

Offline Frank Cannon

Sadly, Romney and Rubio supporter Arrington doesn't look to be a much better choice.

I'm not so sure. I can't find where she disappeared to a foreign country while she was on the govt' payroll.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
I'm not so sure. I can't find where she disappeared to a foreign country while she was on the govt' payroll.

I'm not sure there are any winners in this one. Sanford was a good conservative but a total idiot on several fronts. Arrington sounds like she may be another Susan Collins in the making.
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

Would that be the one in the Appalachian mountains, or the one in Argentina?

Offline edpc

Would that be the one in the Appalachian mountains, or the one in Argentina?

He and his Argentinian paramour explored the treasure trail.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm not sure there are any winners in this one. Sanford was a good conservative but a total idiot on several fronts. Arrington sounds like she may be another Susan Collins in the making.

Local politics is local. The locals down there voted for her so she is their problem if she is a kook.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Local politics is local. The locals down there voted for her so she is their problem if she is a kook.

True dat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline cato potatoe

It's another open seat.  I believe this makes 41 for the Republicans.  The partisan voter index is R+10, so she will be favored, but the RNC will have to divert money to the district.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Well I guess Mark can move back to Argentina and try his luck again there.

Maybe he can relive this:  He said he found his 'soulmate.'

His remarks on Facebook are longer than the total of all his 2014 speeches on the floor of the House of Representatives.

He sounds a wee bit loony tunes.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline dfwgator

Maybe he can relive this:  He said he found his 'soulmate.'

His remarks on Facebook are longer than the total of all his 2014 speeches on the floor of the House of Representatives.

He sounds a wee bit loony tunes.

Yeah, well, when his "soulmate" found out his political career was screwed over, suddenly she didn't agree with that assessment.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah, well, when his "soulmate" found out his political career was screwed over, suddenly she didn't agree with that assessment.

I thought he was still banging Evita?

Silver Pines

"We are the party of Donald J. Trump" according to Arrington.

Lol, not cultic at all.

Offline Frank Cannon

"We are the party of Donald J. Trump" according to Arrington.

Lol, not cultic at all.

I think that Arrington comment is a lot classier than when Sanford blamed Trump for Scalise getting shot....

President Trump is “partially to blame” for the hostile, polarized environment that led to Wednesday’s shooting during a baseball practice being held by congressional Republicans, Rep. Mark Sanford, R-S.C., said on Thursday.

Silver Pines

I think that Arrington comment is a lot classier than when Sanford blamed Trump for Scalise getting shot....

President Trump is “partially to blame” for the hostile, polarized environment that led to Wednesday’s shooting during a baseball practice being held by congressional Republicans, Rep. Mark Sanford, R-S.C., said on Thursday.

@Frank Cannon

I don't think class is the problem with Arrington's remark---just stupid personality cult crap.  But yeah, I agree, that remark of Sanford's was indefensible. 

But when he said he pledges allegiance to the flag, not Trump?  He's right.

Btw, what's with a supposed fair and balanced news organization describing him as a "Trump basher?"