Author Topic: The 8 Oldest Religions in the World  (Read 3040 times)

rangerrebew

The 8 Oldest Religions in the World
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:39:51 pm »
The 8 Oldest Religions in the World

Simon Leser

Updated: 24 April 2018

Though most religions make it a point to claim their teachings have been consistent since the dawn of time (whenever that was), spiritual traditions have appeared and disappeared throughout the ages with the same regularity as empires. And if such ancient faiths as Manichaeism, Mithraism, and Tengriism are all but gone, a few of the oldest religions and practices are still around today. Find out what they are below.

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/articles/the-8-oldest-religions-in-the-world/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The 8 Oldest Religions in the World
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:00:51 pm »
I believe something is wrong when the author says that Islam is a 'successor faith' to Judaism.

Christianity, yes, but Islam, no.

I wonder how many Muslims consider Judaism the precursor to Islam?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:21:57 pm »
I believe something is wrong when the author says that Islam is a 'successor faith' to Judaism.

It is necessarily so - It claims the same god as YHWH (though it is not), and much like modern sects that claim their new revelations beyond the Book, and prior cults (Gnosticism, etc) which did the same,  Mohammedanism is based in the notion that the Jews bastardized the Book, and their revelation is the newest, best, and last.

Thus in its rewrite, it must claim its root, notwithstanding that it isn't truly so.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:21:27 am »

No, it is not considered by islamicists to be a successor to Christianity since Jesus was just a minor prophet and not a savior and the Son of G-d.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:52:32 am »
No, it is not considered by islamicists to be a successor to Christianity since Jesus was just a minor prophet and not a savior and the Son of G-d.
One way I heard it conceptualized, is that the children of Abraham and Sarah continued as Jews, and Christianity sprang from this line. The sons of Ishmael (Abraham's Son by the Bondwoman) were the line that led to Islam. Not sure how Biblically accurate that is, but I get the basic idea.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 02:07:36 pm »
One way I heard it conceptualized, is that the children of Abraham and Sarah continued as Jews, and Christianity sprang from this line. The sons of Ishmael (Abraham's Son by the Bondwoman) were the line that led to Islam. Not sure how Biblically accurate that is, but I get the basic idea.
The big bad difference between the God of Islam and the God of the Jews/ Christians is not the same.

God does not change himself from a benevolent God seeking friendship with man to one only demanding servitude.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 02:17:26 pm »

God does not change himself from a benevolent God seeking friendship with man to one only demanding servitude.

You do not want to go there.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »

Yes, @Smokin Joe, that's how I understand it too.   

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 05:26:36 pm »
The big bad difference between the God of Islam and the God of the Jews/ Christians is not the same.

Correct, god doesn't change. What changes is how men perceive and write about god. This applies equally to Islam and to Christianity...and to every religion ever. We are amoebas seeking to explain quantum mechanics...our understanding and explanations of god must always be seen in that light. This is not to say these religions are moral equivalents, simply that they are both the creations of the cultures and history from which they emerged.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:27:40 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »
[...] our understanding and explanations of god must always be seen in that light. This is not to say these religions are moral equivalents, simply that they are both the creations of the cultures and history from which they emerged.

No. There is not one god called by many names. That is deception.

There are two sides, and a war in the heavens. Powers and principalities.
Those we are aware of have, by way of their agents, and demonstration of their power, made demands upon the human race.

Those evidences are not describing one god. The character of the various 'gods' are evident, and often in direct opposition. They cannot be the same thing.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 12:10:46 am »

Those we are aware of have, by way of their agents, and demonstration of their power, made demands upon the human race.

Those evidences are not describing one god. The character of the various 'gods' are evident, and often in direct opposition. They cannot be the same thing.
The only cultural thing I see is one of whom is being called "God". For Christians and Jews, that Deity is YHWH, Yahweh, Jehova, Yeshua, Jesus Christ, all different terms (from a Christian view) of the same God. We see the Trinity as one, so The Holy Spirit would fall in that group of references, too.

There are a host of other gods referred to in other cultures/religions, but saying that all of those refer to the same single entity would be in grave error. They cannot, they do not. Lest we forget, people reserve the title of "God" for that which they worship, whomever that is. For one who worships the Deciever, that is their deity, and NOT the God of Christians and Jews.
As you said, we fight Principalities and Powers, and those entities have names, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 04:45:51 pm »

I didn’t say there was one god called by many names. I said there is god who is beyond human comprehension and countless human efforts...and writings...attempting to describe their own perception of that incomprehensible reality. Your only argument seems to be along the lines of “Well, my perception...of at least the one I choose from the writings of other people...is right. Everyone else is wrong.” That approach may be comforting for you, but it doesn’t pass even the most basic common sense test.

Remember, faith without reason is fantasy.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 04:51:24 pm »
Yes, Islam is an offshoot of judeo-christianity, no matter how much y’all hate the idea.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 04:54:19 pm »
Yes, Islam is an offshoot of judeo-christianity, no matter how much y’all hate the idea.

Offshoot, being the word.  Much like hate is an offshoot of love.  Islam takes Christianity and demands the opposite.  "Love your neighbor" becomes "kill the unbeliever". 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 08:39:55 pm »
I didn’t say there was one god called by many names. I said there is god who is beyond human comprehension and countless human efforts...and writings...attempting to describe their own perception of that incomprehensible reality.

There is One, who is above all others - but that does not yet eliminate the others as contenders upon the earth.

Your position / argument winds up being sophist... Deist... A cop out. A god that does not make himself known is, by the numbers, of no consequence. The whole purpose of interaction with Man is to make himself known.

Thus the evidence must necessarily be in the record, or the entire exercise is moot. And that record will be designed to make him knowable... Even to a dumb redneck like me. That needfully would be the purpose, or again, it is moot.

Your only argument seems to be along the lines of “Well, my perception...of at least the one I choose from the writings of other people...is right. Everyone else is wrong.” That approach may be comforting for you, but it doesn’t pass even the most basic common sense test.

No, I am afraid your accusation doesn't fly in this particular instance.

If there is evidence of a god, I have sought it out. With the exception of far east ancestor worship (which is in the end, worship of the dragon), and the lesser gods of India, which is a monkey knot that would take a lifetime in itself (Albeit that I am studied fairly in Hinduism), I have very painstakingly proven the God that I serve, against each and every other (of significance) that I could find. On both sides of the spectrum, divine and profane, and everything in between.

Remember, faith without reason is fantasy.

Indeed.
I need not have faith that there are gods. That I have proven to my satisfaction.
I need not have faith in YHWH in particular as THE God - That also I have painstakingly proven to my satisfaction, against and above all others.

My faith only lies in the promise (Yeshua) - that he will keep the promise as laid out in the evidences. That faith is not mislaid, nor is it without reason and proof. That promise cannot be proven and must be taken in good faith, merely because it hasn't happened yet. That it will happen is provable, beyond a doubt, even as every other thing which YHWH has declared.

And that is the only faith that needs to be applied. A handshake and a hard eye. Same thing.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 08:59:32 pm »

Islam and Christianity started at the same square one:  the Torah (Old Testament) of Judaism. 

As time marched on Judaism stood still, Christianity accepted Jesus as the Savior in fulfillment of the prophetic scriptures, and Islam went its own way with crazy ass Mohammad.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 09:12:36 pm »

Yes mighty Mo wanted to be named a prophet.  When the Christian's and Jews said No, he created his own religion
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 09:14:48 pm »
The only cultural thing I see is one of whom is being called "God". For Christians and Jews, that Deity is YHWH, Yahweh, Jehova, Yeshua, Jesus Christ, all different terms (from a Christian view) of the same God. We see the Trinity as one, so The Holy Spirit would fall in that group of references, too.

There are a host of other gods referred to in other cultures/religions, but saying that all of those refer to the same single entity would be in grave error. They cannot, they do not. Lest we forget, people reserve the title of "God" for that which they worship, whomever that is. For one who worships the Deciever, that is their deity, and NOT the God of Christians and Jews.
As you said, we fight Principalities and Powers, and those entities have names, too.

That's right... although there is a bit of a head-fake in that... One that Christians swallowed long ago.

There is ultimately a final deceiver. But in fact, there are many, and they fight among themselves for supremacy. This very easily explains every pantheistic system in history.  And their similarity.

Your final sentence is more visceral than most folks think. Even found in the Bible (ye are gods, but ye will die like men (WTF???) ).

Homo Sapiens, the 'wise' man, in his hubris, has allegorized it all away.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 09:47:34 pm »
Yes mighty Mo wanted to be named a prophet.  When the Christian's and Jews said No, he created his own religion

Judaism also said no to Christianity. 

As I said ... three religions started at the same point but:   Judaism stood still, Christianity accepted Jesus as fulfillment of the scriptures and Islam went nuts.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 01:44:39 am »
That's right... although there is a bit of a head-fake in that... One that Christians swallowed long ago.

There is ultimately a final deceiver. But in fact, there are many, and they fight among themselves for supremacy. This very easily explains every pantheistic system in history.  And their similarity.

Your final sentence is more visceral than most folks think. Even found in the Bible (ye are gods, but ye will die like men (WTF???) ).

Homo Sapiens, the 'wise' man, in his hubris, has allegorized it all away.
Interesting to note how deeply that notion of mere dichotomy pervades.

Matt 8:31belies the idea of a single adversary:

So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
  Note, "devils" is plural.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:48:21 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 05:01:01 pm »
Islam and Christianity started at the same square one:  the Torah (Old Testament) of Judaism. 

As time marched on Judaism stood still, Christianity accepted Jesus as the Savior in fulfillment of the prophetic scriptures, and Islam went its own way with crazy ass Mohammad.
Nope, that is incorrect.

Christianity accepts the Old Testament or Torah and adds to it with the New Testament as its fulfillment of a Messiah.  Christians recognize Jews as the chosen people of God.

Islam only accepts the Old Testament or Torah only when it does not conflict with the Koran.  Muslims believe Jews are an aberration.

That is a mighty difference.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 01:22:28 am »
Christians recognize Jews as the chosen people of God.

Where is this quote in the New Testament @IsailedawayfromFR .... a quote from Jesus, not Scofield.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 01:27:52 am »

@Right_in_Virginia
Christianity started with Jesus.  Islam started roughly 600 years later when Moe was refused being made a prophet by the Jews and Christian's.  Islam didn't really catch on at first until he and his lieutenants started killing robbing and raping.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 01:27:53 am »
Where is this quote in the New Testament @IsailedawayfromFR .... a quote from Jesus, not Scofield.
Who said it was what Jesus said?

Better read up on what a Christian believes.  Maybe that the word of God as expressed in the Old Testament is to be believed and not discarded like Muslims like to do?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 01:37:45 am »

Someone on another thread said that Jews had been God's chosen people, but after Jesus they were not needed anymore.  (Paraphrasing on my part.)  I'd never heard that before.  Is that an evangelical idea?  Who believes that?  (Serious question)