Author Topic: Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen likely to cooperate as his attorneys leave case, sources say  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Victoria33

No, it's not.  More like judicial malpractice..... and when practiced on a national level (like trying to bring down a duly-elected sitting president).... it is the very definition of tyranny.
@XenaLee

This is what Trump did in his business.  He didn't pay numerous contractors on various projects, they had to sue him for their money; he kept them in court until they couldn't pay for it, and they gave it up; some had to go out of business because they did so much work building his buildings, they couldn't keep going without the money they were owed by Trump.  Some he offered pennies on the dollar, and they had to take it since they couldn't stay in court.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Cohen is going to fall.  He would be stupid to take the rap all by himself.

What rap?

Offline aligncare

Is there any question at this point that Mueller is conducting a witchhunt to try and bury President Trump?

Then why is anyone giving any credence to any of this? It’s simply a way for Mueller to keep the narrative going (“Trump probably stole the election and we’re hot on the trail”). It’s to continue stirring up doubt about Trump through the summer and fall until the midterms. That’s the ultimate goal here, not an indictment of Trump himself.

Republican losses, that’s all they’re hoping for.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:54:43 pm by aligncare »

Offline corbe

Paying off a p0rn star for your client (POTUS) may be legal but it's certainly not ethical.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Federal Southern District of New York.  Judge is Judge Kimba Wood.

Yes, that's the judge and venue.  However, I was curious as to who would be the authority to offer any potential deal for cooperation.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Concerned

Is there any question at this point that Mueller is conducting a witchhunt to try and bury President Trump?

Then why is anyone giving any credence to any of this? It’s simply a way for Mueller to keep the narrative going (“Trump probably stole the election and we’re hot on the trail”). It’s to continue stirring up doubt about Trump through the summer and fall until the midterms. That’s the ultimate goal here, not an indictment of Trump himself.

As noted above, Mueller referred the Cohen case to the Southern District of New York who picked up the ball from him.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Oceander

Yes, actually, there is.

Offline Victoria33

Yes, that's the judge and venue.  However, I was curious as to who would be the authority to offer any potential deal for cooperation.
@edpc

It would likely be Prosecutor Robert Khuzami, deputy to Berman - read below part of article on April 10, 2018:

"The President Trump-appointed U.S. Attorney for the Southern District is recused from the investigation into the commander-in-chief's personal attorney, according to reports Tuesday."

Geoffrey Berman, personally interviewed by the President before being named as interim U.S. Attorney, was not involved in the decision to raid Trump lawyer Michael Cohen's Manhattan workplace and hotel, sources told ABC News."

"Berman was previously a partner at the law firm where Trump's close ally Rudy Giuliani works and contributed to Trump's campaign."

"Berman selected his longtime friend and former federal prosecutor Robert Khuzami as his deputy in January. Khuzami would likely take over Berman's duties in such a situation."

"Rod Rosenstein, the veteran Department of Justice official handpicked by the President to serve as deputy attorney general, personally signed off on the raid, the New York Times reported on Monday."

Offline Applewood

Why is this investigation a witch hunt?  Because Trump says it is? 

From where I sit it looks like Mueller is conducting a thorough investigation.  A thorough investigation takes months, maybe more than a year.  This is not some tv show where the investigation, arrest and trial are all wrapped up in less than an hour.  Would you  rather have a half-assed investigation like Hillary's?  I don't. 

This investigation is being conducted the way it should be.  Documents are being gathered and subpoenaed.  People who may be involved are being questioned.  Mueller will offer deals to anyone who may have done wrong in exchange for useful information.  There is nothing Mueller is doing that violates acceptable practice and procedure.

This investigation might wrap up sooner if all the players, including Trump, cooperated.  Trump says he committed no crime.  Fine.  So why is he stonewalling?   Seems to me if he did nothing wrong, he would want to cooperate.  That he spends his time bitching and moaning about Mueller instead makes me think he has something to hide. 

Offline edpc

@Victoria33

Thanks.  He has a background at the SEC and in the world of finance.  He'd probably be able to sort through any complex transfers and laundering schemes.  What's really interesting is, from 2002-09, he was head of regulatory investigations and general counsel at Deutsche Bank.  Trump has received loans in the hundreds of millions over the years through them.  You'd have to wonder if Khuzami's former position may become an issue, at some point.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33   Thanks.  He has a background at the SEC and in the world of finance.  He'd probably be able to sort through any complex transfers and laundering schemes.  What's really interesting is, from 2002-09, he was head of regulatory investigations and general counsel at Deutsche Bank.  Trump has received loans in the hundreds of millions over the years through them.  You'd have to wonder if Khuzami's former position may become an issue, at some point.
@edpc

Sounds like Khuzami would be great for money/bank investigations.  As I was researching this to post to you, I kept reading Cohen will be/and Cohen thinks, he will be charged and arrested soon. This seems to be moving fast at this point.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What will Cohen be charged with?

Offline edpc

What will Cohen be charged with?

There’s a ton of documentation and data to be sifted, so that’s still unknown.  The ones that have been mentioned as possibilities are bank fraud, campaign finance, wire fraud, money laundering, tax evasion, wiretapping, and extortion.

Offline edpc

I don't think he'll fall far because I suspect the President of the United States will be handing out pardons to his pals like candy on Halloween.

After doing a little research on this, I don't think a pardon would really bail Cohen out for a few reasons.

1)  He would still be subject to subpeona and the pardon would prevent him from invoking 5th Amendment rights.  If he lied, he'd be subject to perjury.

2)  Some potential charges, like bank fraud and tax evasion, could be prosecuted at the state level.  The pardon only covers federal crimes.

3)  The pardon doesn't negate the evidence gathered.  It can be shared with state authorities to prosecute him or be used by federal prosecutors to charge others implicated, but not pardoned.