Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch was the lone dissenter in an 8-1 Supreme Court decision. Here's why he was right.  (Read 456 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Neil Gorsuch was the lone dissenter in an 8-1 Supreme Court decision. Here's why he was right.
by Adam Carrington
 | June 12, 2018 02:19 PM

When you stand alone, people can ascribe to you a range of qualities — brave, perceptive, crazy, or ignorant, among others. In the case of Sveen v. Melin, Justice Neil Gorsuch took on that role, acting as the lone dissenter in the 8-1 Supreme Court decision.

In his lonely stand, Gorsuch sought to breathe life into the Contracts Clause found in Article I, Section 10 of the Constitution. That clause declares that no state shall pass a “law impairing the obligation of contracts.” These words once provided a potent protection to individual rights. The Framers intended it to keep state governments from passing laws that relieved persons from fulfilling what they contractually had agreed to do — a legal allowance to violate their word.

Such violations can wreak havoc and perpetuate injustice, for we live contractual lives. At least much of our actions and relationships involve some form of them. We enter into contracts regarding the clothes we buy, the hours we work, the food we purchase, even our marriages. By them we ensure that the way we agree to share our property with others (our money, our labor, our other commitments) is followed.

This clause did not eliminate any regulation of how we interact with each other contractually. The state still could and should set basic rules protecting against dangerous or inherently unjust contracts. But the basic rule cut through these allowances: when a valid contract created an obligation between parties, the state could not step in to violate those terms.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/neil-gorsuch-made-the-right-call-in-sveen-v-melin
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Interesting and quite telling of just how far we have strayed.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

Exactly, @Bigun.  Gorsuch was right.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yep, and Gorsuch nailed it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis