Author Topic: Trump’s clout in GOP is driving Tuesday’s primaries. Here’s what to watch.  (Read 350 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The full scope of President Donald Trump’s influence on the Republican Party will be on display in Tuesday’s primaries, as one of his original 2016 supporters and one of his biggest Republican detractors in Congress fight for their political lives.

Rep. Mark Sanford’s (R-S.C.) frequent criticism of Trump’s policies and rhetoric has landed him in an unexpectedly competitive House primary against a state representative touting herself as a staunch Trump partisan. But at the top of the ticket in South Carolina, Trump’s support is one of the biggest things going for South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster, who was the first statewide elected official to back Trump in 2016 but faces questions over his ties to corruption in state government.

Both primaries, and others in South Carolina, could go to overtime if no candidate gets 50 percent of the vote, forcing runoffs between the top two contenders in two weeks. And there is another voting twist on tap in Maine, which will use ranked-choice voting to pick nominees for governor and Congress in what could be the first and only deployment of the practice.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/12/primary-elections-midterms-preview-nevada-south-carolina-637530
The Republic is lost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Republicans need to purge this RINO.

Justin Amash @justinamash

Justin Amash Retweeted Donald J. Trump

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Mark Sanford has been very unhelpful to me in my campaign to MAGA. He is MIA and nothing but trouble. He is better off in Argentina. I fully endorse Katie Arrington for Congress in SC, a state I love. She is tough on crime and will continue our fight to lower taxes. VOTE Katie!
.@MarkSanford’s job is to support and defend the Constitution. He’s one of the most principled, consistent, and conservative members of Congress I’ve ever known. And unlike you, Mark has shown humility in his role and a desire to be a better man than he was the day before.

Offline dfwgator

Mark Sanford Goes Down!   WOOOO HOOOOOO!

Offline dfwgator

Republicans need to purge this RINO.

Justin Amash @justinamash

Justin Amash Retweeted Donald J. Trump
.@MarkSanford’s job is to support and defend the Constitution. He’s one of the most principled, consistent, and conservative members of Congress I’ve ever known. And unlike you, Mark has shown humility in his role and a desire to be a better man than he was the day before.

Well now Mark will have plenty of time to go hiking on The Appalachian Trail.