Author Topic: No, Tariffs are Not ‘Domestic Sanctions’  (Read 406 times)

Offline endicom

No, Tariffs are Not ‘Domestic Sanctions’
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:47:04 pm »
American Greatness
Spencer P. Morrison
June 11, 2018

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) is not democratic—it’s barely even a republic. The same goes for the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Laos).

In fact, if a country includes democratic in its name, you can safely assume that it’s not democratic. This is a classic example of, what I like to call, the wisdom of irony: things are often not what they claim to be, and the more they claim, the less they are.

Consider Reason Magazine. In a recent piece, columnist A. Barton Hinkle argues that tariffs are sanctions, since both limit imports into nations. Basically, Hinkle’s argument rests on the classic logical principle: “if it looks like a duck, it’s a duck.” Unfortunately, Hinkle’s conclusion is fundamentally unreasonable. As always, the Devil’s in the details—details which he conveniently ignores.

More... https://amgreatness.com/2018/06/11/no-tariffs-are-not-domestic-sanctions/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: No, Tariffs are Not ‘Domestic Sanctions’
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:53 pm »
IMHO tariffs are wasteful and almost always counterproductive.  In short,  Trump is right.  There should be no tariffs anywhere ever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:21:05 pm »
IMHO tariffs are wasteful and almost always counterproductive.  In short,  Trump is right.  There should be no tariffs anywhere ever!

But if there are tariffs or other impediments by another party then that must be weighed for effect. If the effect on us is negative then a response is in order.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:43 pm »

I think the writer has a good point. Technology is the only thing required for sustained growth, and sanctions and tariffs are not always a bad thing.

The thing about dogma (outside of spiritual matters of faith) is that its usually correct only about half the time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:34:39 pm by skeeter »

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:43:27 pm »
I think the writer has a good point. Technology is the only thing required for sustained growth, and sanctions and tariffs are not always a bad thing.

The thing about dogma (outside of spiritual matters of faith) is that its usually correct only about half the time.

I believe in free-market economics. I don't believe in absolutes. Take any principle towards the extreme and it begins to fall apart.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:35 pm »
Tariff has become a six-letter euphemism for tax.

I think Donaldus Minimus is right about it, too. Let the market govern.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.